8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Super 8 films for sale (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Super 8 films for sale
David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2015 09:33 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Richard,

Sent you 2 private emails

David

|  IP: Logged

Richard Pope
Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2015 12:40 AM      Profile for Richard Pope   Email Richard Pope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ladies and Gents:

It was recommended to me that perhaps the fairest way to sell via the Forum would be to advertise each print once I have viewed them and have been able to get an idea of quality (amount of fade, colour, etc…) and put a proposed price on them. Based on my research, etc. I think I have been able to get a reasonable good idea on what things generally go for (amazing what info you can find if you are willing to dig a bit).

Once advertised on the Forum, the films would go on a first come, first served basis – I think that is fair. Of course, I guess if someone thinks I am totally out to lunch on a particular price then they can let me know – I won’t be offended. As noted above I think the numbers are reasonable based on information I have been able to review. Of course it is all about supply and demand/interest. Once someone agrees on price we can arrange for appropriate shipping methods depending on final destination. Prices will not include shipping costs.

As I review more of the films and get screen shots, etc. to get an idea of quality I will continue to post to the Forum. My immediate focus will be on films that people have expressed interested in. Please note I have not / will not be watching each of the movies in their entirety, but enough to get a idea of quality. If people need more info, other screen shots, etc., they can PM me with specifics.

So to start:

Rosemary’s Baby - $150 US
-marketing film
-A bit faded and colour not ideal, but sound ok; definitely a bit of “redness”. Print ok - watchable to my uneducated eyes. Based on what I have read it seems like Marketing Films are known for this fading issues … unfortunate.

-

-

Saturday Night Fever - $150 US
-marketing film
-A bit faded but sound ok; definitely a bit of red overtones.

-

-

Godfather - $150 US
-marketing film
-print faded but sound ok; definitely some reddish hues - redness more obvious in dark scenes.

-

-

Godfather II - $175 US
-marketing film
-print faded but sound ok; definitely some reddish hues - redness more obvious in dark scenes.

-

-

Hope this these details are helpful. Any and all feedback appreciated.

Cheers,
Richard

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2015 01:27 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm NOT a collector...... but I am intrigued as to Collectors' reactions. ?????

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2015 01:45 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin
Same here. It would be a terrible shame if they are all as 'red' as this. No colour left at all!

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted August 11, 2015 02:09 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would bet most of the Marketing films are like that but I think that Forbidden Planet should be beautiful as should Poltergeist.

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2015 02:55 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

Would love to hear people's thoughts on the pictures posted - so far.

David

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2015 03:40 AM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it my eyes or are they all red?

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2015 05:23 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like those prints have been to Hell and back, why would any-one want to pay good money for these just to have them on Super 8...

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2015 05:58 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

With regards Richard's marketing prints - even though reasonably priced - add to that shipping costs - and the redness of the prints I was interested in - I think I'll pass.

David

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2015 07:05 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know a marketing print of these being on low fade even towards the end of marketing's production run ?, if the answer is no, then why are you so surprised by what you see ?. I have a copy of Saturday night fever on marketing and its the same as this one sadly, but I would have been more surprised if it was the opposite.

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2015 07:05 AM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a shame these have turned, but we kind of knew that already (the whole Marketing situation has been discussed). The Red Fox titles should have good color, but a flat feature length print of Victor/Victoria or Poltergeist would be frustrating for me to watch. To me, digests are different. If it's a flat version or the color is off, I can say, "well, it's only a digest". There are still some good black and white titles here, and I will be curious to see if the Citizen Kane print is the better quality print that has been talked about. The gentleman selling these is making a good effort by taking the time to post screen caps. For better or worse, he is clarifying questions people have regarding the prints.

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted August 11, 2015 07:46 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Feature length print of "Saturday Night Fever" is much better. Still lots of color but just a bit of warming. My print of "The Warriors" is the same. Just a bit of fade but otherwise still very colorful. It could also be the camera?
I've never seen such a red print of Godfather. Most are on the warm side but not that red but you never know these days. It is nice of him to post the shots. On Ebay I've seen red/faded prints go for $125-150. And nicer color prints go for $200 +. But then again..it is.. The Godfather! [Smile]
Good luck with your sale Richard!

Richard Pope
Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2015 10:07 AM      Profile for Richard Pope   Email Richard Pope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forum members,

Thanks for the comments so far – I appreciate that everyone is to the point with their thoughts. To be honest not entirely surprised with what has been said ... I was certainly “a bit” disappointed when I screened these films... but wanted to post anyway, as I have nothing to compare them to.

Not meaning to beat the topic to death but… is there any interest in these titles from the group at reduced prices? If yes then I can revise costs and post, or someone can send me a PM. If there is none then I will move on…

Alan Rik made a comment that it could be the camera. Maybe a bit, but unfortunately I don’t think a big factor (if at all) as we were able to screen Singing in the Rain, Forbidden Planet, and Poltergeist late last night…and I thought the colours were pretty good. I hope to get screen shots up for these films (and my thoughts on prices) later today or tonight –hopefully they will make up for me burning out everyone’s eyes with the Marketing Film screen shots.

Stay tuned.
Richard

Thought I would take a break from work and post some info on a couple more films including screen shots (please note that the camera I am using is OK, but I am not sure it always does justice to what I am seeing with my eyes - just my thoughts). If people are interested and would like additional screenshots, please let me know and I can get them:

Singing in the Rain - $400 US
-One of my favorites so far.
-Nice colour, great sound, seemes to be in great shape overall.
-Mickey Mouse Cartoon at beginning of film - good color (can post screen shots if people are interested)

-

-

-

Forbidden Planet - $500 US
-saved the best for last (in my opinion) … this is by far my favorite… to be honest forgotten how amazing this movie is.
- film labeled MGM labs; Cinemascope; Eastman Color –
- to me it looks to have great colour and sound, looks in great shape…

-

-

-

Cheers,
Richard

[ August 11, 2015, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Richard Pope ]

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2015 11:19 AM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
I find it great to see hardly any line on the images...
And if red red or not: don´t forget that all the films are out of print and somehow a legendary release.
In my opinion 150 Dollars for GODFATHER is a steal.
I own a copy which is only brownish and with a hint of colors left and I paid more than 300 Dollars.
All the best,
Oliver

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2015 12:34 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Richard, pm you .

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 11, 2015 05:09 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, Your films of Rosemary's Baby and SNF are sadly, either a little too faded or a little too faded as well as worn for what I am looking for unfortunately.

However, for the other prints I expressed an interest in, almost certainly I believe the colour will be nigh on perfect given the stock and source, so when all prices and screen shots are released publicly on here, I will decide whether or not the print is for me based on price vs condition thanks, just as no doubt, everyone else will in each instance.

I do believe you are going about your business in the fairest and correct manner Richard so well done for that.
Just keep us all informed Richard as you plan to post a title c/w price & screenshots.

Incidentally, I am completely bowled over by two different aspects of this particular post, reading the comments;

1/ People are not aware that a Marketing Print may well be wildly different from an LPP or any other low fade stock print
(assuming everyone knows what prints are on what stock)

2/That anyone could possibly make a firm (best) offer for a print before any screen shots have been posted on any title.

Wow, that is brave!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2015 06:44 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Andrew

Reading your post makes me think you may be refering to me as the collector making a firm offer for an unseen print.

In the case of the film I am interested in, The Forbidden Planet, I can assure you that faded copies are not an issue as all the Red Fox prints are on Eastman LPP, and the later Derann prints on Agfa.

Also no anamorphic Cinemascope prints exist on Super 8 they are all pan and scan versions which can be see in the 4:3 ratio screenshots.

The colour of this Red Fox print is excellent though and much better than the Derann version.

Kevin

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 11, 2015 07:21 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin, I knew only too well, you know exactly what you're doing!

I used to have the Time Machine Red Fox FL Feature so I know exactly what you mean regarding the beautiful saturated colours.
As you correctly point out..."Better than Derann".

What if though Pal, They were all scratched to death through over use? Surely that would impact your price?

[Smile]

--------------------

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2015 07:39 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are correct Andrew the print condition is an important factor but the source of Richard's films led me to feel they would be in good physical shape.

Also we have all bought hundreds of used films without any type of screenshots from Derann, Perrys ect. over the years and any screenshot is only a 1/24th second possibly digitally enhanced guide to the film for sale anyway.

He Who Dares Wins (although in this case not so as my offer price was too low!)

Kevin

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 11, 2015 07:43 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink] You could post them straight back though then Kevin! Hope you conquer all in the end! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Richard Pope
Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2015 09:22 PM      Profile for Richard Pope   Email Richard Pope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of more for the groups consideration.

Poltergeist - $300 US
-MGM; good colour and sound; overall really nice… to be honest seemed to get better as I watched it.

-

-

-

-

It’s a Wonderful Life - $150 US
-Liberty Films; Black and white
-Sound good
-Certainly a classic. Some minor lines in some frames but really small Also seemed to me you only picked them up because of the black and white imagery. I suspect this is typical of an older B/W print?

-

-

-

-

Again prices excluding shipping or any applicable taxes that could be involved at your particular locale.

Will continue to trudge along… Wish I had some holidays to make this go faster. Any questions or you need futher info, please do not hesitate to drop me a PM.

Cheers,
Richard 

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 12, 2015 03:55 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
PM sent Richard.

Superb sharp screenshots BTW!! [Wink]

[ August 12, 2015, 05:01 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2015 06:51 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Richard

really good job on the screenshots.

Yeah, I had Godfather full length on Super 8mm bout 10 years ago - it was fading then but not as bad as your print but I think it would have been by now. I think I got about 170 - 180 dollars...I cannot really remember as It was a while ago. I thought it was an o.k. price for what I got it for.

Wish you well with the others.

BTW Andrew - around 2002 I had a brilliant 16mm Tech print of Rosemary's Baby - I passed that one on to Steven Sigel in a deal - great print.

Mark [Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 12, 2015 07:58 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, that was the one to have Mark by the looks of things.

I always wanted this film first time around in the hobby but looking at this now, the time has passed sadly. One more for the Panny only nowadays sadly.

--------------------

Daniel Aveline
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2015 02:24 PM      Profile for Daniel Aveline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello Richard do you still have Casablanca? all the best.Daniel

--------------------
D Aveline

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC