8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Elmo GS1200 Xenon on eBay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo GS1200 Xenon on eBay
Colin Preston
Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2005 05:27 PM      Profile for Colin Preston   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys
Just listed on eBay article number 6362704768

If anyone wants any info or its lifes history, give me a shout
Col

|  IP: Logged

Lance Alspaugh
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2005 07:17 PM      Profile for Lance Alspaugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello from Los Angeles,

Colin, I assume this was or is your machine. Anthing you can tell me about the condition of the Xenon Power Supply? Problems, working order and such. How about the Amplifier and Recording quality. Can I convert this for use in the USA? Please give me a shout and maybe we can make a deal. Thanking you in advance.

Lance Alspaugh

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2005 12:46 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Colin

Like Lance I would be interested to learn more

--------------------
Tony

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 26, 2005 07:10 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance, I think you will find this is a european model. 220 - 240 V only. I dont think Elmo did a 110 - 240V version due to the Lamp power supply.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Colin Preston
Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2005 07:26 AM      Profile for Colin Preston   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony /Lance
The Xenon is now mine. I recently accuired it from a gentleman who has had it from new (the projector was a replacement one from Elmo, paid for by Securicor, after they dropped and damged the gentlemans original one which had been sent for repair). The gent has only had about 20 hours of use out of it. I myself have used it twice to run two films (magnetic and optical). It runs like a dream.
I bought this was because of two resons. One, I wanted some of this things that came with it in the deal [Wink] , and two it was a good enough price that if I decided not to keep it and stay with my standard GS, then I woould be certain of either getting my money back or even a bit more (still want to get Spiderman [Wink] . Just being honest!

Going on the price of lamp and the cost of repair should it ever need it, coupled with the fact that my room size isn't that big, I feel it would be better off with someone else who can love it properly. This is why it is being sold.

I have not used the record functions on it at all , Having said that I have never used the record functions on my Standard GS either. With regard running in the states, I see that Kev has answered that, Thanks Kev, 'cos I didn't know. Would Lance be able to use a stepper Kev? To step his power supply upto 240v? I'm not an expert, but it is just a thought

Anything else you want to know, let me know. It is just sat here next to me on my dining room table, with barriers around it so the kids can't get near it.

Lance, if you want to talk about a deal, send me a private e-mail

Thanks for your interest gents
Col [Smile]

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 26, 2005 08:13 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
My thoughts are that really a US version would probably be beter for Lance. The weight of the item is one thing where shipping is concerned but the need for a step up transformer could be a problem as it will have to be fairly hefty in terms of its rating. I dont know how readilly available these step up devices are in the US.
Colin it would certainly be worth just taking the back off and seeing what voltages are on the voltage selector if its ot one? I think like mine it will have 220,230&240V only.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Colin Preston
Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2005 10:02 AM      Profile for Colin Preston   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kev
Had a look in the back and I dont think it does, it is just 240v

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 26, 2005 03:26 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I must have one designed to cover all Europe where as that one is just for the UK. Still great light output all the same. [Smile]

Kev. [Smile]

--------------------

Dimitrios Kremalis
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2005 03:59 PM      Profile for Dimitrios Kremalis   Email Dimitrios Kremalis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it mean it won't function normally e.g. in Germany where electric appliances use 220V?

Lance Alspaugh
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2005 06:08 PM      Profile for Lance Alspaugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Colin and Kevin,

Thank you both for the information. What would you say the final verdict is? Can this beast be used here in the USA with a power converter? What kind of shipping costs are we talking. Its hard to locate a Xenon Elmo these days and especially from a reputable chap from the UK. Please let me know. I have a print of "Spiderman" on S8 that I would be willing to throw in as partial payment if you are interested and we can agree on a trade in allowance for it. Looking forward to hearing from you.

LA

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 26, 2005 06:56 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Dimitrios, Its possible that the reduction of voltage could cause problems with striking the lamp. I really am uncertain on this point but maybe Ugo has an answer for us on that one.
Lance, Colin will obviously have to get a shipping cost for you and I would suggest that you contact a supplier of step up tranformers in the US for a price. The UK Rating for this machine is:
240V @ 450W so you will need a fairly meaty transformer.

Kev.

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted January 26, 2005 11:11 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its really funny about that machine. I remember that I couldn't find one to save my life. It took 6 months or so of looking and then bam! I found 4 of them. And I bought all 4 of them! One by one. I miss the really cool blue lamp and the nice little crackle as the lamp started. But I will get one later. When I have a dedicated set up like Clancy and Wilton have. Great set up guys. And Im sure Kev, you must have a nice set up as well. My white wall just didn't do the Xenon justice! [Smile]

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 27, 2005 07:55 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
No I dont have the setup I want anymore. I got divorced and left my house etc to the wife and kids. The Bungalow I'm in with my mum is a bit too small for a permanent setup.
I have plans for the garage though. [Wink]

Kev.

--------------------

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2005 02:13 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kevin, and Dimitrios,
in the latest discharge lamps supplies (like that I used for my HTI GS), there is an electronic components which sets up the unit to the line voltage.
I don't know if the original power supply does the same.
I know if a discharge lamp works at a lower voltage than the standard value, the lamp has a shorter life.

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 27, 2005 04:05 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ugo,
Yes looking at the Circuit for the Elmo Xenon power supply it is connected direct to the mains (line) supply. It looks like the chopper transistors forming the switch mode part come dirct from the mains. It says on my circuit 100V/200V and looks like there is a link to change the voltage. If this is correct then at 220V it should be ok as it will possibly be over run.

Kev.

--------------------

Dimitrios Kremalis
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2005 05:49 PM      Profile for Dimitrios Kremalis   Email Dimitrios Kremalis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It says on my circuit 100V/200V and looks like there is a link to change the voltage.
Colin, is it the same on your Xenon too?
It's a pity to shorten the lamp's life by letting it work at 220V instead of 240V.
But then does it mean that there were 3 versions of the Xenon constructed? (1 for US, 1 for british market and 1 covering the rest of Europe too?)
It doesn't make any sense to me to have different versions for Great Britain and Europe incl. Great Britain.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 27, 2005 05:58 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I have to say that I am a little surprised at that. Mine has a selector switch in the back for 220, 230 & 240V. This covers all Europe and they would only have to make the one version.

Kev.

--------------------

Colin Preston
Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2005 06:14 PM      Profile for Colin Preston   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Kev / Dimitrios

I have had another look inside the back and I think I may have found the voltage selector, but with not having "The Knowledge", I am not sure. I have taken a photo of this and wondered if you could take a look Kev to see if this is the same as yours. I will send them by e-mail now.

Dimitrios, I have just heard back from Kev, and he says yes, this is the same as his and can be adjusted down to 220v, so this is the European model. Thansk again Kev

By the way the date on the motor is 8th June 1987

Ugo, I have tried to take those pictures for you but can not get close enough as the camera goes out of focus, Sorry

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2005 03:15 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Colin, don't worry; I prefer to have a photo not so close than nothing.
Are you in time to get the photo before to send the machine?

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2005 03:18 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugo

Look slike someone used the buy it now feature-was that you!

--------------------
Tony

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2005 05:06 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi tony,
no,I did not buy it! 2500 euro are a lot of money and my GS1200 HTI power works very well!

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 29, 2005 06:40 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
As a matter of interest who did buy it? Come on now own up who ever you are. The buyer is obviously into 35mm as well.
Incidently I have never seen a motor dated as late as 1987. Most I have seen are 1980 or 85. Obviously they had another batch made in 87. Wonder if there was any differances.

Kev [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC