8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » S-8 800 ft CARD BOXES

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: S-8 800 ft CARD BOXES
Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2007 05:27 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got many 800 reels but few boxes;and, what's more, the plastic boxes available take more space and give weight to films,as I found out last month while moving house!
Any idea if-and where in the world!-card boxes are to be found?

--------------------
Yannis

|  IP: Logged

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2007 07:21 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there is indeed a shortage of boxes for 800ft reels, i am sure derann use to sell them some time ago. If i had the dimensions from an existing box then looking into having some made up would be easier. I think you would be looking at a £1/$2 a box though, so may not be feasible. You just need to measure the four panels across the box and then the depth, this is a guess for example only as i have no 800ft boxes for super 8..

12x260x12x260 across and 260x260x260x260 depth, you don't need to worry about the flaps. Thickness would be 400/500 microns? See example below.

If someone could post the correct dimensions and if possible minimum thickness i will try and find out.

Chris.

-

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2007 04:55 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be great Chris;I'm afraid I don't have any 800' boxes in Britain right now,so if anyone could help with the issue of dimensions please.
As for the price,I think £1 per box isn't expensive: Derann sell,if memory helps, 600' boxes for 50p and 1200' ones for £1.20,so that price is competitive-compared to plastic boxes!

--------------------
Yannis

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted April 03, 2007 02:13 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave Thomas, from time to time, has some flip-top 800ft boxes listed on his Ebay store. But I haven't seen these recently.
The original Elmo box for 800ft spools is 27.7 x 27.7 x 1.4 cm

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2007 07:06 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jean-Marc,
will keep an eye; meanwhile it would be good to know how many people are interested in those boxes.

--------------------
Yannis

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2007 12:55 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that would help a lot if i could work out how much interest there is in having these boxes made up. I am already talking to a company who are getting back to me with a quote. If anyone is interested could you please post.

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2007 04:44 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,unfortunately I don't see much interest for the boxes after one week;but I'm definitely up for them-is it possible to start with a minimum number of orders?I'm sure that if production gets under way and people know,there will be an increase in interest.

--------------------
Yannis

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2007 05:10 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Classic Home Cinema sells his releases in nice thick lift off lid type cardboard boxes. I don't know if he sells the boxes on there own. With some of the nice box art on this forum at the moment it would be a good time to take advantage of them if they are available.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted April 13, 2007 04:09 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As many know, when it comes to boxes either original or makeshift, I'm the box-boy of film, though I have little need for 800', except for the shorts I have (Then I use Bonum 800' sets) - Personally, I want 600' white-hinged boxes, but have to see the 800' up close to know - If you think about CINEFEST next March, bring some there if there is enough interest - Shorty

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2007 07:00 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought some from THE REEL IMAGE in the U.S.A. (Steve Osborn). They are very high quality hinged white cardboard, and they are not expensive.

James.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2007 05:22 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark and James, thanks for your replies, I'll email them!
Chris, still if those are doable in the UK,I'm interested;is there a minimum number of orders then to get it going?

--------------------
Yannis

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC