8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » 2 blade shutter for Elmo ST

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2 blade shutter for Elmo ST
Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2011 09:30 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was just reading in Steve Osborne's newsletter that Roy Neil is planning on making 2 bladed shutters for Elmo ST 1200 if there is enough interest. I think that's a great idea. I have a ST1200 and would love to have one. At least eventually when I can afford one.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2011 05:11 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those will be a pain to install. And if the planets are not all aligned -- good luck getting it to run at the right speed. As you know, most of the mechanics are driven by the shutter pressing against the rubber wheels. Now will this shutter be the one with its own rubber or not?

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2011 03:46 AM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for chiming in so late ...

I have put a great deal of thought into this project, and it is by no means a trivial endeavor. It seems Elmo slipped in some incremental changes to the ST1200 line as it was manufactured - I have noticed shutters of different diameters on various ST1200 projectors.

The only 'real' way to handle this properly is to provide the drive train in addition to the shutter, so one-size-fits-all - and I am assuming the motor speed is sufficiently identical amoungst machines.

It actually did not require much thought to realize that this probably wont be a 'cheap' upgrade - so my question to the community is ..

How much is something like this worth ? bear in mind you need to be mechanically inclined to install the upgrade yourself, or else send it to someone to install the upgrade. What is the most you would expect to pay for an upgrade like this ?

I am very dubious whether the community-at-large is willing to invest sufficient funds to install a 2 bladed shutter - I can 'guess' that the ballpark would be in the 2~4 hundred range, after all is said and done ( upgrade kit + installation + shipping ) That is just a blind guess, and it could turn out to be outside that range but I wont know until I get estimates for tooling and production prototypes.

I am still toying with different ideas to try and achieve the same results in a less expensive fashion, but if everyone wants less flicker and more light so much they are willing to pay real money for it this is certainly something I can manufacture.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2011 08:52 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like having the 18fps capability, so that leaves me out. With the Elmo f1.0 lense and a quality lamp like the ones Steve Osborne sells, I am very satisfied with the amount of light produced with my STs, even when running a scope film. Also, if I ever sell my machines, I want to have ALL the original features working. Some folks, like me, are wary of modifications to the original design. Just my opinion. [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 01, 2011 02:14 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would be great would be an adjustable 2/3 blade shutter like the Beaulieu 708 has. I noticed the 150 watt lamp from the Beaulieu 708 was as bright as the GS1200 when on 2 bladed shutter mode. They also make a 2/3 blade adjustable shutter for the Bauer T series machines as well. When you see the difference between a 2 bladed vs. a 3 I don't think you would ever go back to a 3. Unless you were showing 18fps of course.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC