8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » *wanted* cheap Canon 814 az

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: *wanted* cheap Canon 814 az
Nathan DeHahn
Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2011 05:09 PM      Profile for Nathan DeHahn   Email Nathan DeHahn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been looking for a while for this camera. The highest money i willing pay for is 25 dollars no higher than that. For a working Canon 814 az. I just wanted a fully functional camera without any cracks or fungus on the lens. [Smile]

--------------------
Kodachrome Kid

|  IP: Logged

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2011 03:58 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish you well with that one. I'm after a BMW but the most I can pay is £20. Please someone help me...

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2011 08:17 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

when you take a look at the eBay-prices listed in the Super8wiki, it's very unlikely to buy the camera for only 25US$ in the USA - even though it looks possible for eBay Germany and even though there are some US-American auctions where the highest bid is currently still below 25 US$, e.g. 1, 2 and 3.
(However at least one of the description mentions a crack in the lens.)

BTW: IMHO the higher prices on eBay USA are caused by Pro8mm who bought up several of these cameras to refurbish and to resell them as "Pro814".

Jörg

Nathan DeHahn
Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2011 12:03 PM      Profile for Nathan DeHahn   Email Nathan DeHahn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blame Pro 8mm for making good super 8 cameras expensive. It doesnt make any sense why the price go up. It is just a movie film camera, not digital. Nothing rare about it.

Kirkamus Anderson
Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2011 07:40 PM      Profile for Kirkamus Anderson   Email Kirkamus Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if there's nothing rare about it...find one.

Also let's get this straight a 814 usually goes for around $100 and has been for the last 10+ years.
and it's "just" a film camera, not "digital".

Why don't you pick up a digital camera from that era.
I bet you can get a VHS system for $20.

as someone who shoots lots of super8 I say, if you don't have more than $25 for a camera don't bother.

It costs more than $30 a roll after processing.

One 3min roll of film costs more than you're willing to spend on a camera.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2011 05:34 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One 3min roll of film costs more than you're willing to spend on a camera.
Sure. But why spending 100 US$ on a camera, when you can spend the same 100 US$ on a camera plus two films incl. processing? [Big Grin]
The main question is: Why does he bother to find the oldest model of the 814-series (that still needs two 1.3V-PX625 for the lightmeter) when he can get newer versions at the same price?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-814XL-Electronic-/220833318646?pt=LH_DefaultDomain _0&hash=item336ab106f6

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 16, 2011 05:47 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm after a BMW but the most I can pay is £20. Please someone help me...
Well you shouldn't have any problem there 'cos that's about all those German boxes are worth!

[Wink]

Craig Janeway
Junior

- posted August 28, 2011 07:52 PM      Profile for Craig Janeway   Email Craig Janeway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, just $25? I can understand that. I too am looking for the best possible price on used equipment, everyday. Chances are that for so little, you'll get very little in quality and function, unless you have a friend of a friend that knows a guy that has this camera he inheritied from Ant Betty, and wan't to sell it, but he doesn't know what it's worth.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC