8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » WTB power cord Bolex 18-5 projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WTB power cord Bolex 18-5 projector
Zach Von Joo
Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2012 02:44 AM      Profile for Zach Von Joo   Email Zach Von Joo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have a junker 18-5 with a power cord they would part with?

PM if so. I tried the hardware store already & managed to blow a fuse in my house using a thrift-store appliance plug.

Many thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 17, 2012 09:41 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zach,

I'm kind of concerned here because I've almost never seen a line cord blow a fuse (one case:the cord had an unfortunate encounter with a hedge trimmer wielded by my Mother-In-Law **), but often seen fuses blown by the appliances the cords are trying to power.

**Then she phoned me wondering why her garage door opener wouldn't work...

Unless you think the cord has a short between conductors, I'm guessing the problem is more likely the projector.

Is there some history with this machine? Have you ever seen it work with the original cord for example?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Zach Von Joo
Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2012 01:58 AM      Profile for Zach Von Joo   Email Zach Von Joo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used the projector plenty! No idea how I lost the cord for it.

The cord I used (thrift-store purchase) was kinda frayed and I think it must've been no good. On top of this the wiring at my place is slightly dodgy (typical SF Victorian).

I've been over hill & dale trying to find a cord that will work. Not much good at electronics here. I'll probably just have to keep an eye out on eBay for a while.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 18, 2012 08:08 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK,

-Damaged cord! That's a plausible fuse blower! (Just like my slightly dangerous Mom-In-Law!)

Is the machine end of the cord the kind you can open up and replace the old wire?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 18, 2012 12:18 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Zach,check your cable for any breaks and check the plug
to make sure it is wired correctly.If in doubt,consult someone
who knows.If you think it could be your household wiring,perhaps
it's time this was checked,before something serious happens.

Zach Von Joo
Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2012 01:48 PM      Profile for Zach Von Joo   Email Zach Von Joo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the cord is the problem. It's one of those ones you put together yourself, on top of which it's older, and I had to push to get it in there. I don't think I'm gonna try to use it again...

When I say the electricity in my place is dodgy, I mean bulbs blow more often than they should, some lights dim when you turn others on, and there are more parts of the flat connected to the same circuit than indicated on the fuse-box. Not too bad compared to most of the other houses I've lived in in this city. Probably let the landlord know when I'm on the way out the door to the next place.

Thanks for the advice! Still on the look-out for a proper cord.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 18, 2012 04:38 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Would it not be better if you removed the plug and put it on a
new cable.I don't think your plug is at fault,there could be a
break/short in the old cable,so removing it and renewing the
cable could be the answer,and checking that plugs both ends
are wired correctly.Thank the Lord that you only use low voltage
in the States,over this side,no prisoners are taken 230/240volt.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC