8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Chinon SS-1200 for Sale

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chinon SS-1200 for Sale
Ross Woodbury
Junior

- posted May 23, 2015 10:42 PM      Profile for Ross Woodbury   Email Ross Woodbury   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!
Over ten years ago, I bought a like-new Chinon SS-1200 from another Super 8 enthusiast (I think it was Irv Higdon). (I won't describe its features, as you can easily look those up on-line.) When it arrived, I plugged it in and turned it on (to make certain that it ran OK) and then promptly NEVER USED IT! It's been sitting in its factory box all these years (with all accessories), and all I've done is to take it with me whenever I've moved. It's never been turned on since then! I had always intended to make and project some 'advanced' super-8 productions (with some nice cameras which I'll be listing shortly--inquire if interested) but as I'm getting older and lazier, I guess it's time for me to admit that that won't happen. So anyway, I'd like to sell this projector to a Super 8 fan who can provide it with a good home. I'm not sure what these are going for these days, so I thought I'd just make it available to the best offer over $500. Anyone interested?

|  IP: Logged

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 24, 2015 12:26 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Ross,
Welcome to the Forum. You may want to reconsider the pricing of that machine. Irv use to like to inflate the prices a bit.
That machine sells for around $200-400 on a good day. So you may want to do $500 or Best Offer.
Best of luck to you!
This one recently sold for $300.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chinon-Sound-SS-1200-Super-8mm-/171778506937?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27fecc00b9

Ross Woodbury
Junior

- posted May 24, 2015 12:34 AM      Profile for Ross Woodbury   Email Ross Woodbury   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi--Thanks for the info. OK. let's make it best offer over $400. If no one wants it at that price (and it's virtually immaculate), I'll consider dropping it. Thanks again, Ross

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 24, 2015 04:57 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Osi is a big fan of the Chinon machines, maybe he would be interested in it?

I have never understood with Chinon how lesser machines like the 9500 have optical sound facilities, yet this, their top of the range machine SS1200, does not???

Strange really except to say, probably by the time they produced the SS1200, they figured optical sound on Super 8mm projectors was a dead duck as everything was moving further towards optimizing the magnetic stripe by using the balance stripe as a part of the soundtrack as well as the main stripe.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Ross Woodbury
Junior

- posted May 24, 2015 07:09 AM      Profile for Ross Woodbury   Email Ross Woodbury   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!
Who is OSI?
Thanks!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 24, 2015 08:19 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Osi Osgood. He regularly posts on here.

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 24, 2015 08:29 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may also want to try testing it out to make sure all the functions are working. Make sure it feeds correctly, image is sharp sound is working, speed is ok. Even the best unplayed machine in the world can need work if the belts are slipping, are turning to goo (happens with some Elmo projectors over time), lamps need replacing. For example a semi tested or non tested GS1200 projector sells for around $500. But a truly tested and working GS sell for $1200 and up.
The Chinon is a nice projector and I heard that if the speed is working well they are great for use as a re-recording machine as the fidelity of the recording heads are pretty good.

-

-

Ross Woodbury
Junior

- posted May 24, 2015 02:34 PM      Profile for Ross Woodbury   Email Ross Woodbury   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 24, 2015 02:44 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice report Rik! What magazine was it from or was it the original sales pamphlet?

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 24, 2015 03:57 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Original Sales Brochure. I wanted that machine...till I saw the GS1200. I think it was 1981 or so? Leo's Camera in Oakland gave that to me.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 24, 2015 07:06 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No comparison Rik to a brand new GS1200 in 1981! [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC