8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Wittner Long Play Unit for Elmo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wittner Long Play Unit for Elmo
Dimitrios Kremalis
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2017 06:50 AM      Profile for Dimitrios Kremalis   Email Dimitrios Kremalis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New/unopened 800m Long Play kit by Wittner for sale.
Looking for 200 GBP.
Send me a pm or e-mail at giovantsaous (at) yahoo (dot) com.

|  IP: Logged

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2017 12:45 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the arm extension kit for the GS 1200 or something else? Thanks.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Dimitrios Kremalis
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2017 02:39 AM      Profile for Dimitrios Kremalis   Email Dimitrios Kremalis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Steven, that's it.

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2017 03:06 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious why the arm extensions will only work with the GS-1200 and not the ST-1200.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 05, 2017 03:32 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be wrong but I think that this extension unit needs a stronger motor than the ST.

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 05, 2017 03:55 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It probably would work to a point, but as Dominique says, it's a lot of strain on one motor and its sensitive clutch arrangements on an ST 1200.

Many is the time I can remember an ST struggling to rewind even 1200ft of Film without frequent adjustment to the spindle clutches let alone 800m or more.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2017 04:22 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is true, the ST always struggles to rewind large reels, but what if you only project in forward with these extension arms? I keep hoping.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 05, 2017 05:23 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You'd be far better off investing in a late GS Daniel if you wish to use these arms.

Better still, one that doesn't need these arms to handle the larger reels and you'd be putting the £200 these would cost you, towards a machine designed to give you want and what you are seeking without the need to modify beyond its capabilities.

I tried one of my old ST's once with my newly acquired long play unit back then.
The experiment lasted all of three minutes before I sacked that one off as a very bad idea!

--------------------

Dimitrios Kremalis
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2017 05:35 AM      Profile for Dimitrios Kremalis   Email Dimitrios Kremalis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sold. Thank you for the interest.
As for the strain to the projector, I've been using these arms on my GS for over a decade with absolute no problems, enjoying always smooth projections.
I have another set of arms available, this one has several marks from use.
pm if interested.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 08, 2017 06:33 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It was recommended only to use it with a GS 1200 and not an
ST 1200 Dimitrios, so this advice given endorses exactly what you are saying.

Somebody here however was deliberating using it with an ST 1200, which of course, is not recommended, hence the comment. [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC