8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Elmo ES1000 Speakers For Sale On Ebay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo ES1000 Speakers For Sale On Ebay
Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2017 05:11 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In March I sold my spare pair of Elmo ES1000 speakers and had a number of emails asking if I had any more for sale please advise.

I've noticed Ian has a pair listed on Ebay UK with a start price of £49 - these are the newest version made by Elmo as they switched to a black ash wood effect later on - sound quality will be the same as the earlier brown vinyl covered ones I sold and perfect for use with magnetic and optical sound projectors:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELMO-ES-1000-SPEAKERS-/162476708543?hash=item25d45dd2bf:g:le4AAOSwBOtY8zV7

Kevin

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 18, 2017 05:49 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think these would sound good on other machines besides Elmo machines Kevin, or were they particularly tailored to suit the Elmo output?
Also, how do you rate these versus the Craven speakers?

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 19, 2017 10:25 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Each case contains a large 10" speaker and a small 2" tweeter with a cross-over device which appears to be a capacitor. There is a long lead with a 2-pin DIN plug. One speaker case also has a DIN socket.
Each speaker is 16ohms and wired parallel thus giving 8ohms if each case is used separately for stereo reproduction.
For mono use the two speakers are interconnected thus giving 4ohms.
There is no mention of ELMO on the speakers themselves, although each case has ELMO on them.

--------------------
Maurice

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2017 12:26 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I now use a 4 ohm speaker from an old cirse sound with my Bauers because they work better than the 8 ohm I was using,and require less gain on the amplifier,which therefor has far less hum on playback.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 19, 2017 01:58 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks,again for the information there Maurice. [Smile]

David, I use some Bauer speaker cabinets kindly supplied by our friend Kevin above for the Bauer projectors I have. They are matched for these machines and sound really really good with them. (4 ohm)

Maurice, I was just running the thought by myself as to how these slightly larger units than the ones described above, would fair with other higher powered output machines that I have.
The 10" main speaker in each cabinet I'd hope, would make more of the extra power output and produce a slightly richer sound hopefully. 8 ohm impedance is ideal for use with any of these projectors I'd like try and match with maybe. [Smile]

[ April 19, 2017, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2017 03:59 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, I did have an 8 ohm speaker but found the 4 ohm a much better match for the Bauers. with the 8 ohm unit,the volume had to be turned right up,and this produced quite bad hum.
I happened to have an old cirse sound projector with an 8 inch 4 ohm driver in the case,so I mounted this in my original cabinet,and can"t believe the improvement.
the level only now needs to be about one third up on the volume fader,so no hum.
this is the same with all my 3 Bauers,and that old cirse driver is really very good for its 1963 vintage!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 19, 2017 04:09 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
They are a much better match for the recommended 4 ohm loading from the studio range amplifiers.

I simply couldn't believe how well these matched speakers sounded once I first coupled them to a 610.

The difference from what I'd been using previously was absolutely unbelievable David.

They are not a bad sized amplifier on these, but I've found they don't like resistance in its path.
They like to let the current flow so to speak.

--------------------

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2017 04:48 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are spot on there Andrew those Bauer speakers are so well tuned for use with the 610 in every way - the correct impedance match and frequency response - you won't find a better set for use with Bauers. Great to hear you are enjoying using them.

The Elmo ES1000 I have found to be an excellent match for (no surprise really) all the Elmo projectors I use them with - from the ST1200HD, GS1200 and the Elmo 16CL and 16AL they produce a clear wide frequency sound and no 'boxyness' vibration to the sound as they are open backed design.

I also have a set of Craven speakers which work well with the Braun Visacustic and Sankyo 800 but do sound a little muffled compared to the Elmos. I must try a mix and match test one day to hear the differences of the various speakers on each projector.

Kevin

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 19, 2017 05:45 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
So do I hang on for the Craven's then Kevin, or indeed take a chance on the Elmo ones for my own requirements with a SH 30 & Beaulieu 708 el CD Stereo projector?

Your best guess judgement here, will be far more savvy than mine as I am no expert in vintage cine speakers, not by any means!

I just know a good match when I hear one and yes Kevin, the Bauer speakers are just as good in use today, as the day you very kindly passed them over to me, treasured and enjoyed frequently. A fantastic match thank you!
[Smile] [Wink]

--------------------

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2017 06:01 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Andrew

I am sure I have used my ES1000 speakers with the SH30 and they sounded great - I never used them with the Beaulieus though and I can't remember why not just a case of too much cine kit to choose from really. There is no reason why they wont sound fine with your Beaulieu too they really are well suited to all cine sound set ups.

Kevin

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 19, 2017 06:05 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You Kevin. [Wink]

--------------------

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2017 11:02 AM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will keep my eyes open for a Bauer 4 ohm speaker,ive seen them before on German e bay.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 20, 2017 02:08 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The ones made for these machines are called L60 Bauer Hi Fi Speakers David.

[ April 20, 2017, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2017 04:15 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Andrew.

Lee Purkis
Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2017 08:54 AM      Profile for Lee Purkis   Email Lee Purkis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have a pair of the elmo for sale if anyone is interested

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2017 09:54 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love a pair of these for my projectors. My ears are not liking the frequencies of internal speakers too much these days.
Regrettably, I've yet to find a seller more local due to shipping costs... I just mention this in case people believe there is no interest. I have HUGE interest actually...I just need more patience... [Smile]

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 29, 2017 10:49 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you still have these Ian?

--------------------

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2017 01:28 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally i would go for a pair of Goodman Mezzo speakers, will certainly sound 10 times better then the Japanese speakers.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC