8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Elmo GS1200 Scratch parts (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Elmo GS1200 Scratch parts
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 17, 2019 04:17 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Raised a smile Paul. Isopropanol on cotton bud for sound heads, capstan roller and rubber pinch rollers. You can also still get the leather ended sticks instead of using buds as well.

Its interesting to read everyone's experiences of various projectors. We don't need to run a feature to see if a machine has scratch issues just buy some new clear film, make up a continuous loop, thread it up and let it run 20 times or so. Any scratches made will soon be visible on the projected white image soon enough.

Same thing with sound testing. I use Super 8 fullcoat to carry out stereo test recordings not relying on a striped film where it may been worn or poorly striped. All about maintaining our machines in the end isn't it. Happy days.

|  IP: Logged

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2019 10:26 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Paul,

Immediately, I have not any very good drawing to show concerning the Upper Guides modification/conversion.

At this time, I am looking for a drawing software simple and easy to use and which can offer 3D features as well.
When I learned Engineering at school (40 years ago), drawings were hand-made using "Rotrings" with black (or red) ink.

Concerning DLC Anti-friction coating claw itself is not included in the project as claw wearing only depends on the way it works. If general film pull down load can be decreased upon treatment , all the chain claw plus cams will get an increased life :
- Claw plus Cams ==> Increased life*
- Main motor ==> A bit more power available for extras
- Film ==> less wears evidences, less stress for notches
- Main Film frame guides ==> increased life
- Increased smoothness operation

* According to Beaulieu 708 Service guide, the Pull-down spring is rated to 500 gr (This is a lot).
I assume the pull-down spring can be derated up to 250Gr.
Important : Beaulieu Cams are Nylon material and need to be properly lubricated (claw bearing too !!)

Guides to be coated :

-

NB

Paul, do you have any link(s) about Cubic Zirconia coating ?

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2019 11:23 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Phil, this not a coating, its a material fired like a ceramic pot at very high temperatures. It can be machined but you need a machining centre or cnc machine to do this because of the high spindle speed needed for the tungsten carbide cutting burrs. It would be ideal for a fit and forget part, certainly no film medium would wear it out, and you can get a diamond sparkle finish, so les resistance to wear, and its resistant to all liquids that you would use on film. Its main use is sushi kichen knives, I think the Japanese chefs discovered its ideal for this as it does not loose its edge, and I can vouch for that sharpness on a few occasions. Its incredibly stable in high temp situations, so again ideal for a film gate /aperture, where intense heat would affect normal ferrous materials.

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2019 09:56 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

Thanks for these informations. This is something we call also "ceramic" from our side, often used in modern water taps valves too.
If you can take the opportunity to check, there is a high probability Head assembly output film guide (white one) is made of an equivalent material on Elmo GS1200.

Do you think so ?

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2019 10:59 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have purchased some new one's from Leon, and they are plastic, but I have all the dimensions now from the new part, and yes it would be a part you could make from zirconia, and would not look out of place as its the same colour, is it on the list of scratch parts that people miss. I saw a metal version off a scrap gs800 and that was completely warn out, so would have scratched a few films, not mine thankfully. The scrap machines give you quite an insight into what wears out, all good knowledge Phil.......

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2019 12:04 PM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, this is an other chalenge Paul, [Roll Eyes]

Everything around Mag Heads has to be made of neutral material (Non Magnetic). So classical steel is not recommended.
A brass part coated with Hard Chrome, showing a polished finish, could be a good alternative solution.
If there is room enough, introducing a tiny roller could be an other alternative too for this part.

At this time, I am waiting for a PTFE sample band to see how I can use this material for static guides. PTFE is offering the best coefficient of friction under a dry operating condition at this time.

To follow

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2019 02:09 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Phil, a roller would be good alternative idea there, these guides look like they "steer" the film and keep it locked in the channel, a roller would need maybe a undercut 8mm wide to do the same thing, like on the beaulieu 708, perhaps make one out of zirconia and put some heat shrink over that, this would simply follow the profile, and it would be easy to replace too .....

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC