8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Gremlins Review (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Gremlins Review
Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 15, 2006 10:27 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How weird, a reversed print? I sure hope you didn't pay too much for it. Why not try this, though: set up your projector sideways and put a mirror right in front of the lens at a 45-degree angle... that way you should get a mirrored image on the screen and be able to watch Gremlins the proper way around. If you're picky about this sort of thing, that is. [Wink]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 15, 2006 03:34 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's always rear screen projection!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 15, 2006 03:59 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would make focusing a pain, though. Even using the projector at all - if you constantly have to run behind the screen. [Wink]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 21, 2019 04:22 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So... Why unearth a 14 years old review? To answer two questions that have been asked previously regarding this fine digest.
I watched my print a few days ago.
1/ Sound is mono on the one I have. As Eberhard confirmed, Derann was then offering this title either in mono or stereo.
2/ the master used to create this cut-down is "open-matte". It uses the full academic frame (1.37) for some scenes, while it is masked for others. So framing of the super 8 version varies from one scene (and sometimes from one shot) to another, depending on the camera used. When it was originally screened in theaters, the aperture plate on the projector was masking the top and the bottom of the image in the flat (1.85) format. No one could see the framing differences.
I have a few prints on 35 in open matte, if you don't use the aperture plate, you sometimes see dolly tracks or a boom mike in the shot [Big Grin]
But the most interesting one is "Heavy Metal" as, when projected without the plate, you see the animation table with the pegs meant to keep layouts and cells in place...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2019 11:03 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I may have posted in other threads, when UK TV companies worked from film that they telecined (and all transmissions were 3:4 ration)themselves occasionally one went out dull screen open matte and some scenes were masked due to the camera or effects done.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2019 09:14 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is that Keith Wilton edited this one incognito for Derann.

Keith also wrote the review in Super 8 Film Review at the time, which commented that the "editor" had cleverly removed the extra story lines and concentrated solely on the story of the Gremlins.

He was right of course, it was a very good and clever edit, and much deserving of a bit of self-congratulation!

Many Derann super 8 reductions from 35mm source material were printed open gate (Predator, anyone? with the unfortunate words video, etc. showing on the bottom of the Predator POV shots...) With Gremlins, one whole section of the 35mm print is "hard masked" to 1.85:1

So, a portion of the super 8 print is also hard masked. Keith pointed this out on his original review, explaining that this was nothing to do with the 8mm print, but inherent in the original print. As Jean-Marc points, the whole 35mm print would be masked to 1.85:1 in cinemas.

Run the super 8 with the picture masked to 1.85:1 throughout for an original cinematic experience.

Just why director Joe Dante wanted one whole reel hard masked was never totally clear, although the rumour is that this reel would show the operating mechanics of the Gremlins in open gate and therefore the risk of them showing if the print was racked incorrectly. If this is true, he certainly did us super 8 fans a favour.

Off topic, but related to the picture ratio; on the original VHS release, the picture was also masked to 1.85:1

As TVs were 4:3 back then, the image had black masks top and bottom. Warner Bros. Home Video ran a message at the beginning to explain that this was the choice of the director, and not a fault.

How times change.

I bought my print mono back in the day, but subsequently had Derann re-record it into stereo at the cost of £6.00 per part, so £12.00 in total! [Smile]

Happy days. Still have it and it's a cracker.

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2019 10:08 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a good one! I had this film twice! One in mono and the other in stereo! Nice print and well edited! And it has nice color also!

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2019 09:38 PM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...Here are some of my rookie screen shots which don't rate posting for a review but they work to illustrate the "letterbox" or " masking " topic discussed in this thread.

Film opens full frame for title sequence:
 -

...Then carries on with the small mask along the bottom
 -

-

-

Then from the Bar scene on it is further masked for scope effect.
 -

-

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2019 04:56 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice screen shots Burt!

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2019 04:13 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recall that there was some concern that with a 35mm print as master material, that many of the darker scenes would lose detail in the final 8mm print.

As Burton's fine screen shots show, there was no need to worry! [Smile]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 24, 2019 04:32 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very good screenshots Burton. Perfectly fine for a review as well. Our print is now jiuned onto a 1200 reel.the quality of this release is first class.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 25, 2019 06:07 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can get confusing with screen ratios. Vaguely and I mean very vague remember that the 70mm blow up was 2:20 ratio. Only real upside was they could load up the 6 track audio stripe.
Yes nice photos.

Looking up this thread I wonder where Jan is these days.

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2019 07:21 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just spliced my print on a 1200 ft reel! With the trailer. Nice run!

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 01, 2019 11:41 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny for me as it's a 8mm film that didn't really draw me in. Each to his or her own I guess.
Good so many enjoy it tho.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2019 01:47 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is funny how different films mean different things to people.

To me as a teenager at the time, Gremlins was a big title and it's arrival on super 8 from Derann, signaled to me that (thanks to our friends in Dudley) super 8 was really back from the brink of the early 80's. [Smile]

Happy days...

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2019 07:11 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And its still a good seller! It does popup once in a while!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 03, 2019 12:13 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was always disappointed that they didn't or couldn't (possible copyright issues or demands from the parent studio?) release this as a full feature.

You did get a lot of good edits in this.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2019 02:41 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to recall that in the very early stages of this title being announced, Film for the Collector stated that it would be a 600ft release. So thank goodness we got the 2 x 600ft edit.

Perhaps the condensed version was something to do with the master material being a 35mm print. Also, a lot to do with the market at the time, which made this mini-feature so much more affordable.

I have to say, as much as I love Gremlins, I watched the Blu-ray recently and I still really like this 50 minute version!

Bit of off topic trivia, but here in the UK in 1980's, distributors were paranoid about video pirates (rightly so as it happens) and would etch a print ID number into one frame of the emulsion of a big release print. That way, they could trace a video pirate to a specific print. I always remember the Delorean in Back to the Future skidding to a halt in our local cinema as the print ID flashed up on the wheel hub (OK, I may have seen it more than once in one week...)

There is a print ID on the 35mm used for the super 8 of Gremlins, which can be seen if you look carefully...

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2019 10:28 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was a good choice when derann made this release a two parter! And I'm glad I kept all my film for the collector magazine! Most in mint condition! I miss it! Lots of info!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC