8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein U/8 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein U/8
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2005 11:44 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok....Universal 8 could have and should have been able to do a bang-up job with this digest, but instead they gave collectors horrific editing and a bad source print. As I understand it, Castle used 35mm materials and when they became U/8 the new echilon of management decided to use 16mm (probably from their rental stock). The digest begins at the costume party with Chick and Wilbur talking with Talbot in the locker room. Then we have Wilbur in the stock in Dracula's basement being readied for the operation. The rest is the 8 minute Castle version that we all know and love sans the scene where Dracula and Sandra are outside the cave discussing how Dracula doesn't want "the monster to have no will of his own - no fiendish intellect to oppose is mas-tor". It's such a bad digest. I actually bought 2 of them originally thinking that the first one I bought was defective in some way, but nope, they both look like garbage. The only nice thing is that U/8 used the original animated credits that were done by Walter Lantz of Woody woodpecker fame who was a contract animator when "Meet Frankenstein" was released back in 1948. I'd love to see reviews of the other A&C 400'ers being that I purposely avoided buying them after I saw the fiasco with this one. O'h and my "Bride of Frankenstein" 400'er has an audio drop-out that lasts for about 12 seconds. Some real crud U/8 was churning out. Did they do anything right or were they all on LSD? Word has it that some members of U/8 management were real druggies. How else do you explain a digest of "Electric Horseman" or "Nude Bomb"? I mean, C'MON?!

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 15, 2005 12:23 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, sounds bad. [Frown] I have two Universal 8 prints myself, one is A&C in "Who's On First" and it's actually quite good, no problem with the picture or sound quality there. Then I have a 2x400ft. digest of Steve Martin's "The Jerk" which is also of excellent quality. Surprisingly sharp print, too, and while the color is just beginning to fade, blues and greens are still very strong. They seem to have done their job on these two releases. Wonder if anyone else has had experiences with U-8, either good or bad, that they can comment on?

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2005 10:19 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that review Brad!

Jan- in reference to Universal 8, I did purchase several digests from them in the late 70's. As far as quality goes, I always thought they were the absolute best at the time. The films always played consistantly smooth in my cheap Eumig 802 back then. And the sound and colors were always perfect. On the 800 foot digests I bought, the editing was usually VERY GOOD! (with the exception of "Xanadu"). I also have the digest for "The Jerk", and it is a good example of very professional editing.

I think probably one of the problems with the 400 foot black and white U-8 horror classics, was that at the time, there probably wasn't much of a demand for the older B/W movies. U-8 was putting much more concentration and money into the newer movies, as was the trend during that year or two. Even though now, it is the black and white classics that are much more collectable and have not gone out of style, but aged quite well and stood the test of time.

As far as U-8's selections, I very much agree- What were they thinking?? Movies like "Incredible Shrinking Woman" and "Nude Bomb" were box office duds, so why did they think collectors would want to put out $120.00 to own a 30 minute version of these.

Of course, they also did made some good choices-"Jaws", "Hindenburg", to name a few.

It's a shame that the U-8's seem to be fading (color) the worst after all these years.

They are still very watchable though.

I think I'll do a review on "The Jerk" (coming soon) [Wink]

Nick.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 15, 2005 02:30 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll do a couple of U8 reviews a little later,Must admit "generaly" the cut downs are pretty well done, Picture quality is either very very good or soft-grain, two example of the later are Nothsea hijack,and Xanadu, both are ok but not outstanding in picture. Cant say ive come across duff sound on a U8 film. Editing, again, i find generally good, examples being Jaws 2x400, The island, National Lampoons animal house,Smokey & the bandit etc.
I do have the 400fts of A&C meet Dr Jekyl and A&C go to mars, Quality and editing is very good, sound is top notch.
the big downer is that quite a few U8 films are now prone to colour fade due to the crabby stocks used. A shame.
I do wonder why so few of there titles wern't released in scope. As far as i know only a few 400footers were done. [Wink]

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2005 07:59 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes...many of the 400 foot black and white versions looked like dupes of the old Castles spliced together....none looked very good compared to their Castle ancestors. I was extremely pleased, however, with the two reelers of JAWS and Smokey and the Bandit. Both beautifully edited and the picture quality on my prints was good. Later, however, even the print quality of the later films was poor. I got a copy of the Incredible Shrinking Woman in a deal with some other films..and it was so soft and grainy that I only watched the first 400 feet ..and never saw the rest. It's still sitting up on the shelf. Hindenberg I have and it was edited well....a little on the soft side, but I prefer the two reeler to the entire long feature.

It's interesting about the extremely negative review of A & C Meet Frankenstein on this forum..... I just happend to read the review of the same release in last year's reel image publication...which was a glowing review.

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2005 11:12 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow this was just on in Hi Definition on satellite on the HD Monster ch. It was broadcast in 4x3 ratio and it included the original trailer. A real treat. One of my favorites.
As much as the movie has some humor thrown in from A&C I found it more scary then most of todays horrors. I think it being in B&W makes it all the more scary.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2005 04:05 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Brad's review of U8's A&C Meet Frankenstein 400 footer 100%. I was really disappointed by it; not just the editing but the off frame stuff. The Castle 200' was much better. The publicity photo on the cover was great though....

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2005 11:40 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once owned the 400' version of 'If I had a Million' with W.C. Fields.
Picture quality seemed grainey. Perhaps it was the gray contrast that made it appear soft. The editing of the story was not significant to the previous 200' extract. In fact, scenes with a millionaire acting wacky or hysterical as to what to do with his money was not edited very well. [Frown]

The only additional scene with Fields and Allison Skipworth, has Fields walking on camera with a chef's hat and wooden spoon to have dialog with Skipworth.
It's cute, but a throw away scene if anything at all.

The Castle versions of Pigskin Capers is poorly edited, with football plays that are reversed out of sequence. [Mad]

The digest also lacks humor, especially when Groucho speaks to the crowd in the grand stand. It's a brief moment, completely edited, which would have been fun. Instead we are left with repetitive action shots of football plays.

The Incredible Jewel Robbery was originally a half hour television special, hosted by Ronald Reagan. It would have been wonderful if this was released full length. The final Groucho one liner of the program was edited by too.
I just don't get it? [Confused]

Speaking of the Universal 8 Features, has anyone owned a print of Howard Huges' Scarface or Hells Angels?
How do those full length features compare.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2005 12:58 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Castle 200'ers, hmmmmmm? Without a doubt, Castle did the best job scaling down a 70+minute feature to 8.15 minutes. However, there were a few exceptions to the rule....I also was stunned to discover Groucho's (not to mention the entire episode's) only line of dialogue in "Jewel Robbery" removed. Castle's "The Wolf Man" is pretty cruddy. It's way too dark (at least my print is) and the narrative impossible to follow for anyone who has never seen "Wolf Man" full-length. Is the 400'er any better? The 2 extracts from "Ghost of Frankenstein" are fine up until the final 3 minutes and then it's all down hill from there. The "Trial of Frankenstein" ends with mish-mush editing resulting from Castle's intent to end the digest with the film's fiery finale. Instead, Castle should have just picked a relevant moment to fade to black and let the collector pick up the story with "Frankenstein's New Brain". The second extract, "New Brain" is only better in that the climax fits the digest. Both of these cullings suffer from choppy editing hampered by over-use of fades and wipes and the picture on both is very dark. The "House of Dracula" extracts weren't much better. In "The Wolfman's Cure", once again, the quick cropping to get us to the film's close and "House Of Dracula" suffers from poor scene selection save for Dracula's demise. For my next submission, I'll let you know how I feel about Ken Films' 200 product and what titles you should stay clear from which unfortunately is most of the entire catalog.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2005 11:37 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken can't hold a candle to Castle as far as cut-downs are concerned. The editing is simply awful and, like Columbia, they felt this necessity to have narration added to the mix. "The Raven" is pobably the best of the 200'ers I have seen. Oddly enough, the color has held up. "Planet Of The Apes" is ok, but not nearly as bad as "The Crimson Cult" which is dreadful. The story is completely destroyed and even the narration is wrong. In fact, the narration is so frequent that you hardly hear what any of the actors are saying. Karloff is in it for seconds and OMG it hurts to even discuss it. "Bucket Of Blood" is not bad. "Screaming Skull"... Well, all I can say is that I can't even make sense of it full-length so forget trying to understand a 7.5 minute digest of it. "Frankenstein Conquers The World" just plain sucks - again mish-mush. The silent cut-downs like "Taste The Blood Of Dracula" and "Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed" are actually not terrible - probably because there's no narration to drown out the dialogue. "Robin Hood" and "The Odd Couple" are only fair in that the editing and scene selection leave alot to be desired.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 20, 2005 03:11 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
& the award to the worst ever castle 200footer without doubt goes to.............
High plains drifter, the mother of all balls ups, good quality though [Big Grin] Changing the dialouge to remove the words of "your goin to look awfully scilly with that knife sticking up your your ass" to stickin in your ear is pretty much the hieght of feeble. I can only assume that Castle wanted to release it for nursery school audiences.
I hate censors advising adults what they should and shouldnt be allowed to see. The ones who watch it and decide are probably faggots with a nervous diposition [Big Grin]
oops, am i oversteppin my bowels? Anyway, Castle films 200footers, the editing generally sucks but i will give U8 a big hand for making up with there 2 x 400footers, especially the improved H P Drifter. (pity bout the colour fade [Big Grin] )

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2006 11:43 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
hi there,so universal8 suffers from poor editing.well they got it right with jaws 1x200ft.possibly the best cut down ever released on 8.the poorest editing jobs ive ever seen are fox/ken reguardless of lenght.andy.

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2006 10:44 AM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
The U8 digests I own are primarily the Universal horror 400' digests and I think they are generally of very good quality, both in terms of the print and editing. They are certainly heads and tails above Ken and, thank goodness, minus the ignorant narration of the Columbia digests (which I avoid).

The later U8 releases (such as the BLUES BROTHERS) suffered from choppy editing (such as Ken) and didn't employ dissolves, wipes, etc. While I also have some Castle 200 footers, which are excellent condensations by and large, the 400' digests are more satisfying -- and sometimes more satisfying than the feature version!

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2006 08:01 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the original topic of this thread...

Every time I watch my 400 foot A&C MEET FRANKENSTEIN, I'll be darned if I can remember 10 minutes of scenes not in the 200 footer from Castle. I have edited the "cave" scene into the 400 footer right after the main titles on my copy.

If I had been the editor for Universal 8 back in the late 70's, I would have started with the "House of Horrors" scene intact, with no cuts, and then finished with the scenes from the Castle extract. I am not sure, however, if that would have fit onto a 400 foot reel though.

Another possibility would be to start with the scenes where the boys explore the basement and only Costello sees the monster, then follow with the Castle scenes. Another option would be to use both new scenes that I have mentioned, and then call it a 2-reeler -- and continue to sell the Castle shorter version.

Or maybe start with the scene where Costello just misses seeing the Wolfman in the apartment, followed by... Oh heck! anything would have been better than what they came up with at Universal 8 back then.

And if Universal 8 really wanted to release full-length features, who advised them to release HELL'S ANGELS, THE CONQUEROR, and SCRARFACE, instead of A&C MEET FRANKENSTEIN, FRANKENSTEIN, and THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN? And did any one ever actually buy all (or any) of the chapters of PIRATE TREASURE?

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2006 12:38 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
no i dont think many of those universal features were sold.andy.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2006 01:01 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
the wolfman 1x400footer is edited very well indeed.andy.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 04, 2006 08:40 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I started buying these about 1963, it was the box-art first, then the flickering images on the tiny hand-viewer that sold me - Editing flaws or not, this was standard and sometimes ONLY fare that we kids had until the Super 8 days and even then we laughed at the way some of the scenes were arranged - I think I'm the longest-time old timer from CASTLE FILMS days, and I still buy them - Shorty

Kevin Wardle
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2009 03:23 PM      Profile for Kevin Wardle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my Wolfman (and I have 2 copies) are very good indeed. Nice prints with good sound! The 400ft is good too. I like the 200ft better though. FRANKENSTEIN'S NEW BRAIN is also good IMO, and I think all of my Castle/U8 200ft's are really good. As for Castle prints being dark, the only one I have that is dark is the 16mm print of FRANKENSTEIN'S MEETS THE WOLFMAN!

Best Kevin.

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2014 07:36 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently obtained a copy of the shorter Castle Films edit of A&CMF, having purposely avoided the longer U8 cut due to the negative comments here. It is great, but upon second viewing, I was surprised to notice several cuts I had failed to detect the first time around: Frankenstein's monster punching through the door, the boys barricading the door only to have it swing open in the other direction, "He thinks I'm Dracula," etc. Amazing that they cut this stuff--should have just had the last 8 minutes of the movie and be done with it. What's more, it doesn't sound like the 400' digest restores any of this material. (Or does it?)

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2014 10:23 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope.....There's absolutely none of the scenes that film buffs, A&C fans or film critics love about this movie. No wax museum stuff (moving candle routine) Glenn Strange punching the door or Lon Chaney's near misses in the hotel room with Costello. Instead we get a digest that is a lazy patchwork of scenes that were sloppily strung together until we get to the final half which is basically the Castle 200'er just tacked on. O'h how I could go on and on about how miffed I was and still am to this day about what a bad digest U/8 gave film collectors.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2014 02:08 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember,the time U8 released the features (pre-video),was the time all companies tried for "something new",(i.e. Niles,with the Sherlock Holmes features and the Benedict Bogeaus color adventures,Columbia with Bye Bye Birdie and On the Waterfront).U8 released the Howard Hughes features.I have Scarface and Hell's Angels in excellent copies.As for Pirate's Treasure,which I also have in its entirety,it was a "recently found,lost serial" and the quality is tops.It was also a special treatment with transparent plastic boxes with a different cover for each episode (different photo and exact running time),plus a booklet with the episode synopses.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted April 28, 2014 06:06 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always wondered why nothing was selected from either HOLD THAT GHOST or MEET INVISIBLE MAN - Shorty

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 28, 2014 06:40 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me it’s a wonderful 400ft watch on super 8 sound having obtained 50ft Std 8 silent reel in the 70’s and working on from that over the years. I find the 400ft Son of Frankenstein complements the programme nicely as well with UK showmen possibly slipping in Old Mother Riley Meets the Vampire for good measure.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2014 02:46 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Clint Eastwood stop any more digests of his films after seeing High Plains Drifter from Universal?

I don't recall any others from Universal, only from MGM and Paramount. Super 8 is sadly lacking Clint's films.

Also glad I'm not the only one to have Pirates Treasure, I find it quite fun to watch and the fights are great.

At least like has been mentioned no narrators on them.

I have a few Universal 8 titles and some were quite well edited, but the choice of titles was sometimes a little silly.

Abbott & Costello would be ideal for a 30 minute digest properly edited though. I always thought that 400ft 16 - 18 minutes was too rushed on most releases.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2014 04:53 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will agree that not all the U/8 digests are bad. Son of Frankenstein was, I agree done well with good image quality and so was Buck Privates Come Home, but A&CMF surely deserved better treatment than what we got. Yes, Mr. Eastwood did hate what Castle did with the dubbing over the curse used in the line that Tom references and apparently refused to allow any more of his spaghetti westerns to be released to the home movie market. I actually think the Hitchcock digests were pretty good considering the brief running times, but certainly would have been better as 2-400'ers.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC