8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Blue Hawaii

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blue Hawaii
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 26, 2006 02:11 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blue Hawaii , 1962
Color, 120 mins, 2400ft
Paramount Pictures
Viacom S8 print

-

Elvis Presley’s best musical picture. Filmed in Hawaii, this is a typical Presley travelogue with a forgettable plot. The main attractions of this film are some great songs, some great location shots, and some great looking girls. The thin story concerns the return of Chad Gates (Elvis) from the army to his Hawaiian home, where his father (Roland Winters) runs a pineapple processing business. Chad wants no part of the business and decides to earn a living for himself operating a tourist service around the islands. He meets up with a quartet of gorgeous schoolgirls (NOT your St. Trinian’s type!) lead by the precocious Jenny Maxwell, and chaperoned by Nancy Walters. This leads to some conflict with his mother (Angela Lansbury with a Dixie accent! ), but all is happily reconciled by the end of the film when Chad marries his girlfriend Maile (Joan Blackman), in a spectacular Hawaiian wedding ceremony. The songs and musical numbers are excellent with the beautiful 'I Can't help Falling in Love' being the standout classic. Presley spent the rest of his film career replicating 'Blue Hawaii', never again achieving the success of this film.
The super 8mm print is by Viacom, and what a superb print it is, with pin sharp focus throughout. My print has faded slightly, but the colors are still vibrant on most of the scenes. I imagine the color of the print when new must have been absolutely breathtaking. Incidentally, all the Elvis Viacom prints I have seen all seem to have superb print quality. The mono sound is very good, but of course the film benefits tremendously from re-recording in stereo from the DVD track.

Print A
Sound B+

[ December 26, 2006, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2006 06:42 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that review Paul.

I come across a 400 foot digest of this every now and then. I thought about getting it. Has anyone seen the digest that could add a small review?

Thanks! [Cool]

Nick.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 28, 2006 10:23 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Nick,
I also have the Ken 400ft digest of Blue Hawaii. It is not very well edited, very choppy. There are no complete songs, only a few seconds of each, and the plot line is pretty impossible to follow. It would have been much better if they had just focussed on including the best songs in their entirety. Most annoying of all is the truncation of the hit song of the picture 'Cant Help Falling in Love with You'. Also, unlike the feature, the print quality is poor, with soft focus, at least on my print. And the sound was very 'thin' and overrecorded.
Altogether, a big disappointment.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2006 12:58 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

Thank you for the review.
I always loved Blue Hawaii.
The opening number over the
titles sets the mood and feel
of life in Hawaii.

It would be great if this
was re-released with all of
the complete musical numbers and
an edited dramatic story line to thread
together the music and plot.

Last but not least, I also
love the Hawaiian Wedding Song.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2006 06:12 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the heads-up Paul [Wink] .

I think I'll skip the 400 footer of this one in that case.

Were any of the Elvis 400 foot digests by Ken any good?

Nick.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 29, 2006 09:59 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, 'Girls,Girls,Girls' is excellent, with superb print quality and best of all it includes the complete rendition of Elvis' hit song Return To Sender' which is really great. And Stella Stevens offers some great eye candy. [Big Grin]
Next best is 'G.I. Blues', which also has superb print quality and has the complete rendition of 'Tonight is so right for Love with Elvis singing to Juliet Prowse in a German tavern.
'Fun in Acapulco' is a little less satisfying, kind of like the chop job they did on 'Blue Hawii', but print quality is very good, and it does include the complete rendition of Elvis singing and gyrating to ' Bosa Nova Baby'
Somehow 'Blue Hawii' has the worst print quality of the digest series, even though the feature length S8 print is stunning. Maybe I just got a bad print.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2006 10:48 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul!

I'll look for a 400 foot G.I. Blues or Girls Girls Girls.

Nick.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2006 03:13 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Great Review Paul;as always.Does the 400ft of G.I.BLUES have Wooden heart in it?.Its one of my fav/rave songs from King.Andy.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2006 09:42 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whilst not a huge Elvis fan, I do like the condensations. Girls, Girls, Girls is a favourite and I am a big Stella fan too.

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2006 07:26 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have all the Viacom Super Eight feature film's that were released in the 1970's. What would these Elvis feature films be worth today? Also have "King Creole" on color stock and "Last Train From Gun Hill" and lastly "All In A Night's Work".

1. "Roustabout" (1964) Paramount
2. "Blue Hawaii" (1961)Paramount
3. "Fun In Acapulco" (1963)Paramount
4. "G.I. Blues" (1960) Paramount
5. "Paradise, Hawaiian Style"(1966) Paramount
6. "King Creole" (1958) Paramount
7. "Girls, Girls, Girls" (1962) Paramount

All Produced By Hal Wallis

I have other Viacom prints too but have too many to list now for value.

Thank's, Tom

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2007 12:20 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a copy of the "Blue Hawaii" 400' digest and have to agree with Paul on the not so-good editing. However the print quality on my copy is very good. It has retained its color and is pin sharp on focus.Sound is also fine on my copy.
By the way Andy, I beleive that G.I.Blues does contain "Wooden Heart" although not whole song, as is usual with the digests. Keith

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2010 02:23 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was "Blue Hawaii" ever released in Scope as a feature or a digest?

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2010 03:07 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian - Cineavision released a "Scope" 400ft digest, but I don't think it was ever released as a feature in "Scope".

[ March 11, 2010, 04:01 AM: Message edited by: Keith Ashfield ]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Michael Hyde
Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2010 09:52 AM      Profile for Michael Hyde   Email Michael Hyde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I fully agree Blue Hawaii was by far the best of the bunch music wise,i have the full lenght print too still with good colour and sound,but i found that if i didnt want to sit thru the boring story line,i purchased a second copy full lenght from Paul Foster,albeit with faded colour,and took all the songs,edited them onto a 1200` reel,and enjoy a "promo" reel just as Derann did with Calamity Jane,it works well for me.I also purched the dvd several years back with the songs enhanced into 5-1 dolby.very poor i thought.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2010 08:15 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just received the "Blue Hawaii" scope digest and it's AMAZING. I forgot how much I loved Elvis in his prime... it brought back so many memories of watching his movies when I was a teenager and loving them. Now I want to collect all of the digests ... like I need another obsession in my life... but I wish they were all released in Scope... Did Cinevision only do "Blue Hawaii" - that is a shame... the scenery and shots look gorgeous in widescreen.

Oh, Does anyone have the Viacom artwork for "Blue Hawaii" that they can scan for me... my digest came in a plain white box... I'm going to go watch it again now. I see the problem with the songs being cut short but ... I still LOVE it!

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2010 06:33 PM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in my 35mm days, I had a IB Tech/Scope print of "Blue Hawaii". It remains my favorite Elvis movie. I had ten Elvis films in 35mm. Before my 35mm interest, I remember how exciting it was for a fan like me when the Viacom prints came out in the 1970s. I remember having "Girls! Girls! Girls!" and "Roustabout" in Super 8, both of which I had later in 35mm IB Tech, with the latter in scope as well. I have all the Elvis movies on DVD now and a nice video projector setup, but I think back to the films days and how exciting it was to get a print.

--------------------
John Hermes

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 11, 2017 04:32 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just ran my Ken Films 400ft digest of Blue Hawaii. Unfortunately the title of the film now needs to be renamed Red Hawaii. [Frown]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 12, 2017 02:38 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only have the 400ft version and agree that the editing on this one was very choppy to say the least. They would have been better doing this with perhaps just two or three sons in full instead of so many songs which last just seconds.
The upside for me is that my own print still has good colours and the blue Hawaii title is deep blue so there is still many years left in it, (hopefully), the focus is not as pin sharp as the feature by the sound of it. Those viacom features are superb.
 -
 -
 -
 -

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2017 02:57 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul
My features pinky and I have a really faded print too but the 400 footer still has good colour,you think that some titles would still be the same as you last saw them,I bought the Sting 2x400 about 6 years ago with absolutely perfect colour,watched it recently and shows more fade than it should which surprised me as I store my films in a cool room all year round,Blue Hawaii is still one of the better films though and you should be able to pick up another better colour copy,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 12, 2017 10:19 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom your 400ft digest is exactly how mine used to look, soft focus but very good color.
The Viacom feature print is pin sharp with very good color.
Unfortunately all my Elvis digests are now all red.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 12, 2017 12:16 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep your eyes on those lists Paul, these do come up from time to time although i guess it will be a lottery with the colours now.

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2017 05:00 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best to find yourself a 16mm LPP print, i once had a 16mm IB Tech widescreen print. But now have this in 35mm in scope and IB Tech of course.

Strangely i still have a fondness for these old Super 8 digests.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2017 05:11 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
best Hawaii was the best of the elvis films I have this one and girls girls girls on 16mm all stunning colour I also had a stunning colour of roustabout in scope which I sold about 6 months ago

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2017 09:15 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann also released some of those titles in the UK as features, they also released about four 200ft extracts 'Elvis Sings' I have the wedding song one.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 13, 2017 01:37 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would certainly like Girls Girls Girls on 16 or a good colour 400 Super 8. [Wink]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC