8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Creature from the Black Lagoon-17mins-super8/3D. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Creature from the Black Lagoon-17mins-super8/3D.
Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2007 11:40 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Fellow members hereit is.My first 3D review of Derann's reissue of this classic 1954 movie,directed by Jack Arnold.
What do you need to view this two reeler?.All you need to do is lance up your projector as normal,put on your speces-two come with this film and away you go!
After the title sequence,we join are intrepid explorers enter the black lagoon in their old tug boat.The very pretty Julie Adams goes for a swim,and feels something touching her legs-its of course The Gill Man,who not surpisely takes an immediate fancy to her.I don't blame him!.
The monster then dams up the lagoon enterance,so no one can escape,and one by one picks off the scientists,played by Whitt Bisselland Richard Denning.
Richard Carlson dons his aqualung and fights the creature underwater..Effective stuff this 3D!
The creature climbs on board the old tug,and kidnapps Julie.
He takes her to his grotto,with Carlson hot on their heels for the final confrontation....
It's great to see this title back,i think its the same cut down as the old Universal8 one.
My print has a little wear here and there,nothing to get upset about.Excellent sound.A first rate rrelease from Derann.Well done.I have used MS.Adams real name as she is know now!
PRINT A-
SOUNDA.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 26, 2007 04:20 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andy,
It sounds exactly like the original Universal 400 footer.
How sharp is the print, and how effective is the 3D?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 26, 2007 04:25 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have this film. The scenes aboard the tugboat I wasn't impressed with, but the underwater scenes were absolutely astounding. Honestly, the best use of 3D in a 1950's classic 3D film that I have ever seen.

I wonder if Derann struck new prints from the Universal negative, (as they did with "It Came From Outer Space"), or did they get ahold of some never opened prints from way back when Univeral 8 first released it. If the latter is so, then they'll be Kodak SP and will fade over time.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2007 04:52 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is great news. I went to Derann's site and it is true they are releasing new prints of this digest.

I have the old Universal 8 print of this as well "It came From Outer Space."

They are both great digests. Even though the 3D effects are still good on both of my prints, I intend to upgrade and by the Derann Low Fade Prints.

Regards.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2007 08:29 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe you guys at Derann are watching these posts... [Wink] you've posted and replied to other posts many times.... what's the story on this re-release???? Some details please! thanks [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2007 10:48 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Fellow members.The effect of 3D varies from scence to scence.The best are the underwater and cave sequences.The scences on the old tug boat,less impressive.It is just like "IT". still very good print and excellent sound.Buy it.Andy.

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2007 11:38 AM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice review Andrew on a great 3D film,i was fortunate enough to pick up the later U-8 film in the clamshell case and cardboard sleeve and mines in excellent condition and as you say the underwater scenes are excellent [Cool]

Don't think i'd be prepared to pay £50.99 plus postage for it but to each his own [Wink]

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2007 12:14 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
An intersting view there Peter.What you have to remeber is this.Back in 1977/78,when this title was first released the cost was around £30.00,or so sterling.So now the £50.99,is not so bad is it?.It is a great cut down no matter which version it is!I am still
amazed that Derann got the hold of it to re-release it;just as they did with IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE!.Andy.

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2007 12:50 PM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was only speaking for myself and would not put any member off buying it.
It is a great cutdown and if you don't have a copy of it then you will get one from Derann.

I did not mean to offend anyone by my personal judgement on the price and fully understand that it's not cheap to run off new prints.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2007 01:19 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi PETER.It's okay mate,everyone has their views.My point was
remeber what Dracula went for?.I'M sure you do.This is why this forum is brillant.We,the members,can express our views on ALL subjects of REEL film.Keep well Peter,im sure we will talk about something else in the future.Andy.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted April 28, 2007 02:12 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done, Andy.

Like Peter, I was fortunate enough to buy a copy from the last batch of U8 prints back in 1983. It's not faded and 3D is still very nice. And, on top of eye-popping tricks mentioned by Andy, there are some cool depth-of-field effects of the skipper piloting the Rita through the lagoon.

I have purchased many new titles from Derann and will continue to do so, but I'll pass on this one.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 28, 2007 09:43 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Creature from the Black Lagoon was filmed at Wakulla Springs, in the Florida Panhandle, a 3 hour drive north from where I live. It is a stunningly clear deep water springs, filled with underwater grasses, and all the underwater 3D sequences were shot there.

http://www.wakullacounty.org/wakulla-30.htm

There are plenty of Creature from the Black Lagoon references, photos, and books in the park store, and every year they have an outdoor Creature festival, showing all the creature films, and usually attended by the still very attractive Julia Adams, and other cast members. So far I have not seen any 400ft Universals for sale there! Maybe Derann should ship a caseload in! [Big Grin]

[ April 28, 2007, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2007 04:40 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew,

I got the chance to review my Derann copy over the weekend and it was good and finally I have a copy that will not turn red for a few years (if ever!).

The underwater scenes are just magnificent in 3D [Eek!]

Rick

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 01, 2007 08:45 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just viewed my print that I picked up at the BFCC. This film is exactly the same as the Universal 8 400ft digest, minus the Universal 8 opening and closing logos. As already noted, the underwater scenes and the ones in the cave have the most effective 3D effect. Best of all is the scenes where the creature climbs up onto the boat and walks towards the camera - the 3d here is great. But unfortunateley a lot of the footage did not seem to converge very well and I saw a lot of double images. I wonder if the red and green glasses that come with this film are the correct color. Sound quality was good, better than I remember on the U8 print that I had. All told I was a little disappointed with this film, DisneyWorld 3D it is not, but it is certainly a good novelty item and probably the only source anywhere of 3D scenes from this classic feature film.

[ June 01, 2007, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2007 11:24 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Paul about super 8 3D. I do not have this print yet, but the 3D that I have some scenes work, others dont. I have also wondered whether they require special 3D glasses designed for super 8 prints and not just standard ones. I also used to prefer the red/blue as apposed to red/green.

At least with a DVD projector you can change the colour and contrast to get the best 3D effect possible.

There still a nice novelty though and something to impress your mates.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2007 03:53 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Convergence is a problem with these prints.... they have to be printed with EXACTLY the same colors as their respective glasses. The closer the match, the better the effect and the less ghosting and double images. Sometimes the printing on the film leaves a lot to be desired and the manufacture of the glasses can be problematic as well. My old UA print of Creature has held up very well, but also always suffered a double image as the monster walks closer to the camera. The best 3 D I ever saw on film was part two of two little silent Columbia releases of the Three Stooges Spooks. Part one was not very good, but part two, in separate packaging....was printed better and the glasses really matched . Outstanding. that was back inthe 60's and was Standard 8mm.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2007 04:21 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super 8 3D does tend to be a bit of hit and miss. Probably only around 50% of the film will work well.

One of my favourite films was Audioscopics 2 which, when I showed on my wall looked very impressive, but I then took this same print to show to an audience on a 6 foot screen and people were not that impressed with it. Mabye the size of the picture and the brightness affects the effect as well.

Another one of my favourites is the Three Stooges in 'Pardon My Backfire' which I think Derann still sell.

But as Paul says, these extracts are not available on any other format so these super 8 films are special and worth collecting [Smile] .

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 01, 2007 05:33 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if red/cyan or red/blue glasses would be better than the red/green glasses that Derann supply with this film?

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2007 05:48 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its possible. I always thought that the Red/Green glasses gave a too darker image and I preferred the red/cyan because it was brighter and looked better overall.

I think Pardon My Backfire is in red/cyan, I will check.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 18, 2007 05:22 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched my Dreann print again last night, but this time on my big 8ft screen. I was suprised at how much better the 3D effect worked compared with my original viewing on a 4ft screen. Is bigger better with super 8 3D?

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Frank Picaro
Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2007 07:29 AM      Profile for Frank Picaro   Email Frank Picaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the original CREATURE in the theater, and the 3D was outstanding. That said, having the DERANN release of the digest to screen at home is still enjoyable, if not DISNEY 3D as Paul stated. Some scenes are very convincing, even the boat in the lagoon. But the 'coming at you' effect of the spear gun or the bat in the cave wasn't the 'ducking' best!! [Wink] Overall, it's a great little film.

--------------------
Seems? I know not seems!!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 25, 2007 06:52 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Frank, that the Derann digest is well worth having, even if the 3D is disapointing in some scenes. I intend to show the full CFTBL feature on projected DVD, then supplement the show with the 3D selected scenes of the Derann S8 digest.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 25, 2007 07:32 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good idea Paul. I see the same problem with "It Came From Outer Space" Some scenes, AWESOME, some, incredibly bad, and then there's that awesome rock in the avalanche scene that REALLY does leap right out at you.

One of the nice things about the "It Came From Outer Space" 3D digest, is the very different usage of the 3D effect. In most other 3D films, the effects are somewhat "earthbound". In "IT"
(to make it simpler) there are images from inside the aliens helmets, or P.O.V., for instance, which work very well.

The Three Stooges "Pardon My backfire" has some very good usage of the 3D effects, and I find the focus to be quite good thru-out. The only problem is that the film is a defective print, but since I didn't buy it from Derann directly, I can't return it as a defective print.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 26, 2007 11:42 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
........and who can blame the poor creature for being smitten by the gorgeous Julia Adams:

-

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2007 10:17 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just received the Derann Creature print and took a look at it ....it's not a great print, but OK. I didn't get a much of the three D effect on this one as I did the original Universal 8 release. It looks like it's at least one more generation away from the original Universal release. More dupey, less sharp....not awful, but not the best.

I was disappointed also that the Derann print doesn't extend the end music out to completion , but just stops it where the original U8 end title was. The least they could have done was let the end music extend out and end over black screen. You feel incomplete without that closing the end music.
Still a nice novelty. I need to try it with the original U8 glasses. I have 40 pair of those and they are much nicer. You don't have to hold them up to your eyes. they are more like eyeglasses.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC