8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Creature from the Black Lagoon-17mins-super8/3D. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Creature from the Black Lagoon-17mins-super8/3D.
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 13, 2007 12:09 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Gary, at least it won't fade like my original U8 print has! As far as the ending music, I plan on dubbing that part of the track over from my existing U8 print and splicing in the old U8 end logo. Plus, of course, I still have the existing U8 clamshell box and the nice cover art of the creature and 3D logo, so Derann's print brings me more or less back to what I had 20 years ago when I first purchased the creature digest.
Incidentally, I would highly recommend Universals 2-disc special edition DVD of this title, which has all three of the creature movies, plus a special feature on the making of CFTBL with interviews with Julia Adams and Ben Chapman, and a lot of technical stuff about the special effects, creature costume, and the difficulties of making an underwater 3D movie.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2007 10:47 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish that U8 had originally released this film in a standard black and white 400ft version as well as the 3D version. Then we could have spliced in the additional scenes from the excellent 200ft version and made up an excellent digest. Red and green 3D is always disappointng, or maybe it's just my eyes.

Paul.

Frank Picaro
Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2007 11:07 AM      Profile for Frank Picaro   Email Frank Picaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, It's NOT your eyes. [Smile] Red/blue 3D is inferior to polarized 3D, but it's the only game in town, it seems, and the occasional 3D effect is still worth it.

I recently purchased the DVD 3D version of CREATURE. Again, some scenes are full of depth, while others are just two shots(red-blue) unconverged. Hard on the eyes!!! [Eek!]

--------------------
Seems? I know not seems!!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 14, 2007 11:26 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Paul that a 400ft (non-3d) digest would have been great. But you have to give credit to Universal for releasing a 3D digest on S8. I seem to remember that they even printed up a little promotional 2-page leaflet explaining the anaglyph 3D process and how they used it to get the S8 prints of CFTBL. Anyone have a copy that they could scan into this forum?

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2007 04:41 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for that post Gary, i'm not going to buy the Derann re-release. I'll keep my U8 print, which is still nice, but I was hoping the Derann print was much, much better.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2013 07:43 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Picked up a reddish print of this recently--my first viewing of this edit. Surprisingly, the 3-D effect was still very strong. My only gripe: too bad the prologue--which made it into the shorter 200' flat version--was omitted. Not only did it set the film up nicely, but it contained one of the best 3-D moments.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 27, 2013 12:12 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some screenshots from the print would be much appreciated for this review!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 27, 2013 03:06 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
osi, screenshots would look awful, remember this is anaglyphic 3D.
Here is a 3D shot of the gorgeous Julia, which you can view with red/green glasses:

-

And some more 3D from the film:

-

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 27, 2013 12:32 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do remember that this film had absolutely gorgeous 3D effects underwater that had a tremendous amount of depth to the image. I was really stunned by just how good the 3D was. The 3D effects were far superior to those in the other 3D classic "It Came From Outer Space".

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 27, 2013 02:47 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And of course 'Creature' had one outstanding feature absent from 'It Came from Outer Space', namely Julie Adams! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 28, 2013 12:43 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm ... Adams!

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC