8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Aliens (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Aliens
Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2007 12:23 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see a review so I thought I would chime in. First of all, most of ALIENS is either in space or in dark places and I was very impressed with the definition in the blacks. The negative must have been made from an interpositive. For those who don't know, an interpositive is a positive low contrast image on a negative base. From this a perfect dupe negative from the same stock can be made. And this is what I see in this ALIENS print. I was always a little hesitant to purchase it as there is a longer version on DVD. But watching this I don't miss it at all. What you don't get is the matte shots that stand out like a sore thumb on video. Everything blends perfectly LIKE IT SHOULD, like it can only be on film. This was a used print already on 1200 & 1600 foot reels. Since I didn't have a 1600 foot reel this is actually a review of the first 1200 feet. But I assume the rest is the same. I will post the remainder later.

To continue, all I can add is that the picture is perfect. If you like action pictures, this is one to add to your collection. On a funny note, when I was watching it during a very intense sequence I got a phone call and my 12 year old son answered it and was giving me the phone up to my ear from behind me and I jumped up to the ceiling. He laughed and laughed and laughed.
Here is a screen capture of the film:
 -
Here is a capture from my computer of the DVD of the same scene.
 -
The DVD is very white and cropped top & bottom. It seems there is a little shift side to side but I'm sure it is cropped on TV. I'm sure Cameron prefers the film look.

[ September 30, 2007, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: Larry Arpin ]

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 19, 2007 06:41 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
You should see Alien on super 8.....really awesome [Eek!]

Maybe I should do a review.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 19, 2007 08:38 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

We have a thread that has reviews of both the 400' "Alien" and the feature that you should add to.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 20, 2007 05:04 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Doug, forgot about that one.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2007 03:14 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've updated my review.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2007 03:31 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Larry - superb action film (I prefer this to the first one). I have this feature myself and cannot fault the print or sound quality.It's one of the best I've seen. definately one for any action collector to get hold of.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Christopher Quinn
Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2007 12:46 AM      Profile for Christopher Quinn   Email Christopher Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting those captures and review Larry! I hope more people are able to post photos in their reviews; it’s a great way to get a sneak preview of the print. Do you mind if I ask which projector the film was being run on when you took the pic?

Many actually prefer the theatrical cut of Aliens to the special edition that was subsequently released on video. Apparently the shorter version flows better and is a more taut and exciting experience. The same is true of Terminator 2.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2007 08:17 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ALIENS was one of my "most requested" super 8 features on movie nights, second only to GREASE.

I agree, the quality on ALIENS is superb. And the movie is just so repeatable. I must have run it at least once a week the first month I had it (1992- seems like yesterday).

With that said, the original ALIEN (scope), is actually even better, as far as picture quality. It is certainly the most beautiful scope print that I've seen on super 8.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted October 11, 2007 09:28 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Looks like there's "Aliens' in the air. I was testing out a newly acquired Eumig and found the print to be superb. The sound was very nice as well. And the action was awesome! I prefer this movie to the first one however. I know aesthetically the first one was of a much higher caliber but this one is just FUN!
So here's a question for you who own the print. Is yours in Stereo? Mine is not.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 12, 2007 06:25 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is certainly one of my favourite S8 releases, although I think that the start of 'Alien3' slightly spoils the satisfaction watching it! I also have 'Alien' and in my case I don't think the print of this beats 'Aliens'. I always remember a show I put on with 'Aliens' which really impressed the audience, who were reponding to seeing 'the film' rather than 'the 8mm version of the film'.

I suspect Larry's print is a little warmer than some; mine has a more bluish look that was mentioned in one or two reviews when the S8 came out.

"What you don't get is the matte shots that stand out like a sore thumb on video."
Larry - I was curious about why this is?

"So here's a question for you who own the print. Is yours in Stereo? Mine is not."
Alan - Mine is stereo. I know that at around the time this was released, Derann were not able to re-record a film in stereo, so yours maybe one that someone returned because of a sound fault, and then got re-recorded in mono.

Funilly enough, although the quality is great, I think all prints have a minor sound fault, on one channel only, for about the first 9 mins of reel 4. There's some extra white noise-type sound that blends in well, but remains constant across changes of scenes. I returned my reel 4 and was sent an alternative, which was exactly the same in terms of sound, but the print was much warmer, so would have really stuck out. I immediately contacted Ged to say I'd like my original reel back, and was VERY relieved to find that it had not yet been re-recorded into mono!

[ October 13, 2007, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted October 13, 2007 01:41 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the colors on my print are bluer and whiter as well. Looks like I'll have to re-record the stereo myself....Yikes!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2007 10:01 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two prints of this film and both are very good picture and sound (all stereo). However, neither is as good as 'Alien' on the picture quality front.

A great film but not as good as the original which is an undoubted classic. I think Mr. Rik got it right in that Aliens is such good fun. For me the original is completely different and more like a work of art.

Mr. Winchester is right about Alien 3 spoiling the enjoyment of 'Aliens' somewhat. I've only ever seen Alien 3 once and having endured it at the Odeon I never want to see it again. Alien, Aliens and Alien Resurrection have been run so often on film in my house but I never tire of them.

A good review Larry made all the better by the inclusion of the frames from DVD and Super 8.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2007 09:37 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I'd my bit to this thread. I just yesterday, Dec.10th, 2007) received a used print of it from an absolutely great seller, Alan Rik. I can only add that on my print color values are very good. Dark scenes look good with plenty of detail showing on the screen. To me this print is not the sharpest I've seen, but is very nice with good steadiness ..no frame line jumps. In places I kept focusing trying to get it perfectly crisp..but even with the f1.1 lens, I felt like it was just a tad soft. Stereo sound is above average...rich on the bass side...with a fairly decent treble range. Alan said he thought it could be improved with a good re-recording and I agree. I may have it done.

Jake Mayes
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2012 10:04 PM      Profile for Jake Mayes   Email Jake Mayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought this print from steven sigel at the end of october. Due to having to move i paid him a deposit and paid for the print beginning of december/end of november. Got the print on saturday. I screened it with my partner, was the first time he had seen Aliens! He loved the movie, and i really enjoyed the print, Aliens is one of my favourite movies of all time. The print has been well used, shows some wear especially on reels 1 and 2 of the 5, but does not detract from the quality one bit, the tonal range of the image blows the blue-ray away! Reels 1, 2 and 3 are very slightly warm (reel 1 of 2 of the original 2 reel set up, the print was mounted onto 5 600' reels).

The tonal range shows tones that only film can show, especially on skin. Great fun to watch, will be screened often i guarentee!

I am certain this print is an early one, when the negatives were still ‘fresh’ if that is the right word. Well used, visible wear is there on reels 1 and 2 as I said, but is barely noticeable as the tonal range and the quality and life likeness blows one away! Lovley colour palette! Will get hours of use, I am sure being my favourite film of all time! Now to keep my eyes peeled for other features! The first Alien in particular. I also saw Alien 3 on 16mm on E-bay, wonder if it exists on super-8 as well?

Mono sound, my sanyko 702 handles the film really nicely connected to an external speaker system and amp. I keep the film path clean : - )
With cost and customs charges, total around £400. Worth every penny! Who would have thought i would want to spend that much on a movie! I did not until i discovered these features!

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted December 11, 2012 10:08 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven is a great person to deal with for sure. [Wink]

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2012 10:09 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Jake I love the movie as well. Now I must get one. Do they have a digest of that?

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 11, 2012 10:11 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The digest of 'Alien' is the only digest of a film in the series, but there were trailers for all 4. 'Alien 3' (and 'Alien Ressurection') only exist on 16mm.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2018 06:02 PM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently acquired this feature and fortunate for me it was not one of the "blueish" versions ( mentioned by Winbert in the: Blueis print vs good print (Aliens, Super 8mm Derann) Thread ). I agree with the other members this is one great action-packed film! I found no issue with the sharpness and overall it is an excellent print! the shots included are captured using The Sankyo Stereo 800 with the HIPRO
1.0 lens and Samsung Galaxy 5 smartphone...

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 14, 2018 02:25 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow what a print!!!! Another top title Burton. The first two Alien films, for me, are the only two to watch. How on earth did they then get number three so wrong.
Super screenshots [Wink]

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 14, 2018 07:44 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like Prometheus.

I thought that was a fantastic, slightly old school film and with its pacing etc.

In fact might bung on the BR tonight.

Got the Steelbook but be nice to have it on real film.

Best Mark.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 15, 2018 12:03 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That really is a lovely print! you can even see the grain in the image! Really nice! I only own the first one, but it's a stunner!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2018 04:07 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a print of this - I bought it from a dealer at the Blackpool convention for about £120.00!!

And it was immaculate - those were the days...

Watching this super 8 print at home really is like going to the cinema.

When Derann released this it was still a fairly recent film and those days were really exciting for super 8 collectors and the highlight of the super 8 revival.

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2018 01:17 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also did have this film. I sold it a few years ago. I wish I held on to it. Now I am stuck with 4 odd reels of reel #1. In mint condition. But I still have the feature of Alien. Great print. I hope to come across the feature of Aliens one day.
I just love this hobby.

Leon Norris

Rodney Bourke
Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2019 12:15 AM      Profile for Rodney Bourke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aliens Full Feature on Super 8 see

https://www.ebay.de/itm/ALIENS-Super-8-Komplettlange-Full-Feature/143428854526?hash=item216506a2fe:g:1gcAAOSwGYZdyS3L

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted November 15, 2019 01:27 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Some photos from Aliens...

-

-

-

-

-

-

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC