8mm Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Carry on Cleo 4 x 400ft

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Carry on Cleo 4 x 400ft
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 31, 2008 03:56 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now here is (for me) one of the better carry on films. I wont bother with the actual plot of the film as im sure most carry on fans will know it inside out, however some useless info for you,
1/ many of the costumes used in this film were from the originlal cloeopatra film which is why there better than usual for a carry on film,
2/ almost all the character names used are all based on real characters of the time, (as well as the obvious cleopatra) names like agrippa (Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa) check them all out, quite amusing the way they were used in this film.
"i'm agrippa"
" yes, and i know a couple of good moves myself"

Onto the print, hopefully someone can give me some feedback on this one,
4x400ft released by Walton films.
The print is A, excellent colour and very sharpe, although Walton were always very good this one is exceptional, and viewing it last night there isnt a single drop of colour fade in sight and the blacks are black,whites are white,
On the down side, and this is were i'm sure it is only a fault with this print, there are some sound faults. For 90% of the print the sound is very good, on the opening sequence set at the caves, the sound is slightly out of sync by around 5-10 frames. Enough to be annoyingly noticable. This clears up and is its then fine all the way to reel 3.
The first 200ft of reel 3 is good and then the volume drops down and the annoying sync problem is back, after around 300feet the sound drops off alltogether for around 5-10 seconds, and then its back to normal & in sync.

Reel 4 is fine although there is a slight up and down movement for the last quater of the film but nothing too much to detract an average audience.

Under normal circumstances this print would have been returned because of the sound fault's, particularly on reel 3, but at only £35 it was a bargin.
The slight sync problem on the first 200ft is quite easy to put up with for this price tag.

Hopefully if anyone else on here has a copy perhaps you could report on this?

If it comes up on any lists it's well worth purchasing because it does look like Walton really worked well on this film to get this kind of quality, only matched, in my opinion, by todays releases, it is that good and Walton certainly lived up to there name for quality on this one. [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 21, 2015 04:31 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

George Seaton
Junior

- posted May 17, 2016 12:58 PM      Profile for George Seaton   Email George Seaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Tom

I have had a print of 'Cleo' (mounted on a 1600' spool) for many years. I watched it recently and the colours are still vibrant and the mono sound is excellent throughout, no sync problems whatsoever and the picture is rock steady from start to finish so I'm guessing the problems you mentioned are print specific.

--------------------
George

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 17, 2016 01:55 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks George, i thought that was the case, its not too much of a spoiler though as the actual print as you say, really is outstanding and the colours are excellent.Every thime i watch it i keep sayig i will re-record one day but just never really got around to sorting it. Its still a great viewing though [Wink]

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2016 07:42 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom,

Well the sound on my print also goes in and out of sync a couple of times but it also dosent spoil it as its a great film and print, but its still slightly annoying that its there. I would never sell it though as its one of my favourites. Walton obviously had a problem with this one.

Graham S

George Seaton
Junior

- posted May 18, 2016 10:59 AM      Profile for George Seaton   Email George Seaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a print of the Walton 4 x 400' 'Witchfinder General' and the sound goes slightly out of sync for the last few minutes, I wonder if it was a widespread issue with Walton releases? My print of 'Cleo' is definitely spot on though.

--------------------
George

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 28, 2017 02:14 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A more recent thread about this title may be found here.

To avoid confusion I'll close this one.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC