8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Straw Dogs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Straw Dogs
Mauro Coscia
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2012 01:14 AM      Profile for Mauro Coscia   Email Mauro Coscia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some shot from my print.

http://passionesuper8.blogspot.it/2012/09/cane-di-paglia-usa-1971.html

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 23, 2012 10:23 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mauro.

Thanks for the link. I recall my print having a touch more color, however it's been a few years since I've taken a look.

Since this is the review section, how about writing up a review of the film and your print?

-

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2012 05:05 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a bootleg Italian print I take it Mauro?

My official Peak Films/ABC released print is still holding up very well with very little fade I also added the Thunderbird films trailer to the start of the film which has great colour too.

A great film which still has the power to shock to this day.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 24, 2012 01:32 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Going by the screen shots of Mauro's film, I found the colour quite
pleasing and a welcome change from fading pink.Thanks for
putting those up Mauro.

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2012 01:03 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would I be correct in assuming the Italian print is complete whereas the ABC print is shy 400ft like most of their color prints? I had WHATEVER HAPPENED TO AUNT ALICE & THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE. Both were missing key scenes, and frustratingly, both had room enough on the reels to have been complete.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 15, 2019 07:51 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adding my own review of our own print of this very well know controversial 1970s movie Directed by the great Sam Peckinpah.
I last viewed this movie in 2011 and my comments on my own film list back then then was, "good print but colours are beginning to fade". What a bummer, the fade has, (as expected), got rather more shift to brown. This one always had muted colours, the Cornish countryside always looked rather "dull" in colour rather than the lush greens it should have. The sky on this print was always that sort of dull grey rather than the blue that the uncensored DVD has. This is an abridged feature but a very good one. The controversial rape sequence is the American version so it is heavily censored with the second nasty man virtually cut out all together.
The actual print is in very good condition with only a very few little marks here and there, no lines, no splices other than the joins, plus one manufacturers splice on the last reel. The sound is very good and the focus is excellent. As you can see by the images the colour is pretty poor with a shift to brown but it is actually better than what you see from the screen shots. The interior house sequences actually look pretty good. Fortunately, the last last two 400ft reels do have better colour than the first three so as the main part of the action is toward the last third of the film the red hue is only noticed in a couple of places with the rest still being good.
We viewed this one tonight as a last view before selling. This film is joined onto three full 600ft spools so the last 200ft of reel two and all of the last reel has improved colour so we are going to keep it for another year or so. Never a dull viewing with the very lovely Susan George, By the way, we did not use any filter during the viewing. What you see here is screen to camera raw shots as always.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2019 11:28 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This feature is great! I had a ABC print for years and end up selling it! Now I wish I kept it. And a nice print with good color! It was slightly edited. But well done! You don't see it popup to often!

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2019 12:01 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leon you just missed one on EBay that sold for $61. It looked like Tom's.

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2019 09:20 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry, I pickup this one! In the original box. Not a bad print! Its nice! Color is a little reddish! But has color! No scratches , no splices! It will do for now!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC