8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Die Another Day pre credit sequence

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Die Another Day pre credit sequence
Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2014 04:59 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Arrived today and I've been looking forward to this new release from CHC, it's the opening sequence of the James Bond film Die Another Day starring Pierce Brosnan as the super spy. An action packed opener as always with plenty of guns and explosions and the exciting hovercraft chase....A must for Bond fans.

A very nice print in scope and very good mono sound on acetate film stock with twin tracks so a stereo rerecord is on the cards for my print!! Well worth the wait and well done to CHC for another great effort to follow the openers to Living Daylights and Goldeneye. £75 available now but be quick as these won't be there long , Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

|  IP: Logged

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2014 05:46 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too have this and also arrived today which is amazing as it was only posted yesterday afternoon. Haven't run my print yet but cant wait.

Graham S

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2014 09:25 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now in Stereo and sounds amazing,The sound stripes on this print give the best results i've ever heard,really well worth doing,Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 19, 2014 09:23 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure I read somewhere that the acetate stock had come to an end, so clearly it hasn't! Irrespective of that, many thanks for the review - where else can we read one the same day that a new release arrives!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 01, 2014 06:46 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are oh so fortunate to have Classic and mine has also landed and due for Stereo. I would encourage anyone even just thinking of ordering this to get the order in as I know these are flying very fast indeed as with all the new releases just out. I’m sure I am not alone in congratulating Classic on its continued support of new Super 8 prints and some very unique items at that.

The film itself is action packed of course and spreads marvellously across the scope screen really showing off the format to the limit. With Classic still planning more releases there is no stopping Phil AKA Mr Super 8!

-

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 01, 2014 03:35 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks great Lee! I will try and get a print if there are any left.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2014 06:43 AM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
gotta get this one

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2014 12:34 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is truly superb. I bought it and consider it an absolute pleasure to own.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2014 03:30 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well worth a stereo rerecord as it really lifts the film, I've shown this 5 times now and the audience cannot believe it's magnetic sound, Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 03, 2014 08:15 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I note CHC say it's 300 ft, so that should be around 15 mins, which sounds long even for a Bond pre-credits sequence. Does it end just before the opening credits would start?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 04, 2014 05:07 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Adrian,
I think Phil is going by the gauge on the side of the reel. This is printed on very thick acetate and runs for about 11 minutes (if I remember correctly). It is the full pre-credit sequence and ends when Pierce Brosman swings on the bell and and drops on the ground and says "saved by the bell". You then have the mgm and 20th fox logos and the reel ends.

Graham S

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 04, 2014 09:00 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much does this film cost?

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2014 02:08 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pat,
It's £75,Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 05, 2014 07:46 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That comes out to about 125.00 USD. A bit pricy for me.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 06, 2014 07:51 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As someone said to me recently, it’s a better investment than leaving your money in the bank. Having watched it a number of times I think I’ve had my moneys worth already and brand new at that. [Cool]

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2014 08:52 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still holding out for "The Spy Who Loved Me" opening/credit sequence. I love the song and it is considered by many Bond fans to be the best opening credit scene of the Bond films. Very impressive.

James.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 07, 2014 08:38 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James who is doing that?

Pat I have timed the film from flash frame 3 to the last image on the reel and it runs for 13:38:69 at 24 frames per second on a GS1200 MK III. A retired projectionist friend tells me this is pretty much what the original promo reel consisted of prior to release.

Mines now in Stereo and the twin stripe is probably the best I have heard for years taking a very good stereo recording.
[Cool]

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2014 10:30 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do believe I read about it either here on this forum, or maybe Reel Image magazine, about a year ago. At the time there was no final decision to release it, but I think they (CHC or R.I.) have source material for it, but was waiting to see if it would be popular enough to sell. I don't know if they have decided to release it yet.

James

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2014 07:22 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just received my Die Another Day reel from Steve Osborne. Very fine job on printing. The colors pretty much match what I remember seeing in the theater and my dvd. Very sharp image. The usual cropping top and bottom of Scope Super 8 films was more than usually evident because of the subtitles used to translate the Korean sentences. The subtitles are there, but at the very bottom....a hair above the bottom frame line.

Sound: It comes with mono sound which was very well recorded...lots of volume and the fidelity was excellent. I intend to get it re-recorded in stereo, which should add a lot of value to it.

One nice extra .... You get a full Fox fanfare scope opening AND the MGM lion at the beginning, BUT also at the end...so you could use the fanfares at the end to splice on to other films that might not have them.

It's wonderful to see these new releases continue to be produced and with such excellent quality.

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2016 08:00 PM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all. I recently picked up this reel second hand. However my print feels very blue/green. The opening scenes also appear dark. I was wondering if anyone had a similar issue, or if it was just printed that way. If anyone has screenshots for comparison it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Here are a few of my own screenshots. Excuse the poor iPhone quality, even though I feel the color looks better in these pictures versus what I am seeing on the screen.

-

[ December 20, 2016, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Evan Samaras ]

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2016 04:11 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the DVD vs. the print I have, the colors on that opening sequence are muted toward the bluish on both. I think they were trying to convey the starkness of North Korea ... But anyway, my print matches the cool color temp of the dvd I have.

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2016 04:00 PM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the information Gary! How about a few moments after the opening scene? My print feels more geen/blue than the Color on the YouTube segments I have watched.

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 22, 2016 04:14 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Evan you tend to find most prints are a bit like that these days.

Well certainly on the majoroity of trailers I`ve had.

A few bits from IB Tech sources seem to do better.

Best Mark.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 22, 2016 09:02 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't own this release but I've seen it at one or two conventions and I recall it looking very much like your screen shots, so I doubt whether other prints are significantly different. You would certainly find brighter colours if (e.g.) buying 'Captain America' or 'True Lies'.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC