8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Blotto

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blotto
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 21, 2014 01:37 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blotto (1931)
Laurel & Hardy 30 mins B/W
Blackhawk Films

-

During the prohibition period, Laurel and Hardy make plans to spend a wild night out at the Rainbow Club. Phoning Stan at home, Ollie suggests a ruse by which Stan is to convince his wife, who keeps him on a short leash, that he has been called away on business. Stan readily agrees to the idea, assuring Ollie that his wife is "so dumb she'll never know the difference".
Mrs. Laurel,(Anita Garvin) eavesdropping on another line, is furious, but continues listening as Stan tells Ollie that he knows where he can get some liquor. His plan is to steal the bottle that his wife has hidden in the house, and later blame the loss on the ice man. Mrs. Laurel immediately launches a scheme of her own: she replaces the alcohol with a non-alcoholic mixture. Stan and Ollie proceed to get "drunk" at the nightclub, having a wonderful time, even though of course they only think they are drinking alcohol.
They are serenaded by a singer at the club and Stan breaks down sobbing upon listening to the sad rendition of the song. Then Stan and Ollie both break into hysterical laughter when they are talking about stealing Mr.s Laurel’s booze. That is, until an angry Mrs. Laurel turns up armed with a shotgun, reveals that their "liquor" is merely cold tea, chases them into the street, and demolishes their cab with one well-aimed shot.
This 30 minute short is, without doubt, the funniest Laurel & Hardy film that I have ever seen. A couple of years ago I showed it as part of a film show at my house, and my friends mother was quite literally chocking with laughter, to the point where I actually thought she might die in my home cinema! [Big Grin] Such is the totally infectious nature of Stan and Ollies laughter.
I had this film on DVD for many years, but I was delighted to pick up a super 8 print from Steve Osbourne last week. Nothing like showing these classic old films on a 'reel' projector!
Print and sound are both very good on my Blackhawk print.
Highly recommended ****

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2014 03:06 PM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have this paul so funny stans laugh kills me i had this off a friend he had it twice not in original box but good picture

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 03, 2014 09:02 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might have been my print you got, I strive to find the best - Shorty

Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2014 04:59 PM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very funny, I was just watching this super 8 Blackhawk print this afternoon too. One of my favorites.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 10, 2014 11:38 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite part is Ollies increasing mood and what the !!!,s in the Phone box.

You can just imagine it, but I suppose we all live with that now with overseas call centres and terrible automated menus !!!

Best Mark.

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2015 08:25 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that BLOTTO is one of their all-time best! The premise of getting blotto on a non-alcoholic drink was so good that Jackie Gleason borrowed the idea for a classic episode of THE HONEYMOONERS.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC