8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » I Was A Teenage Frankenstein

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I Was A Teenage Frankenstein
Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2014 03:48 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the spirit of the season my plan is to watch a horror related film every night in countdown to All Hallows’ Eve.

I'll be posting each film on my website. But for now here is my mini review for this classic.

Standard 8mm / 200′ BW silent edition. / Ken Films

American International Pictures, fifties teenagers and Whit Bissell. Nuff said.

Our crazy scientists get all excited when the newspapers announce the death of a bunch of teens. Professor Frankenstein jumps at the chance to reassemble one with a horrible case of something worse than acne. Gary Conway is the muscular creation – but that face! Our monster hero takes a walk and kills an unlucky co-ed. Bissell decides he must fix his face in order to control him….and then…..destroy him! But teenage Frankie will have none of it and electrocutes himself instead!

B+ for the Frankenstein monster mask alone!
Nice print if a bit dark. Ken does a decent, fun edit here.

-

Cheers
Terry

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 23, 2014 09:47 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry,

Thanks for the great review and pictures. In comparing different prints of this title, I noticed that two scenes last longer in what I'm guessing was an earlier version. The scene where Prof. Frankenstein shows Bob his improved face and the finale where Dr. Karlton rushes over to the collapsed teenager has a bit more footage.

-

-

I wonder if these were trimmed because of negative damage in later printings or perhaps to lower costs by reducing the total footage.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2014 02:55 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting Doug. I believe my digest has the scenes you mentioned. Maybe an earlier version because it is standard 8.
Hmmmm

Cheers
Terry

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2014 06:48 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At our May Cinesea film collectors get together, our forum moderator, Doug Meltzer, showed us the Ken silent I Was a Teen Age Frankenstein, but he had put sound stripe on it...gone to a DVD or some source...pulled the sound from it, matched it to the Super 8 digest and recorded the sound. He did a masterful job...and when you see one of these done that way, you also see how totally off the superimposed titles were, compared to what was really being said. The sound really made it an understandable viewing experience. Decent picture quality...not like an original, but at least not washed out.

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2014 07:55 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A sound version would be great to see!
I lucked into a few sound striped digests a few years ago. (the sound added was only music and effects) I eventually re-recorded them all with the proper soundtracks.
Great to have these as sound digests.
Monster That Challenged The World
Rodan
The Thing (this one was hard to sync dialogue to)
War Of The Worlds

So many more I'd like to do!

Cheers
Terry

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 24, 2014 10:38 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've certainly seen on different Ken silent releases that the Super 8 version was a bit shorter, to trim it down to the same length of footage as the Std 8 version.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Timothy Duncan
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2014 06:22 PM      Profile for Timothy Duncan   Email Timothy Duncan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So glad to see a review for a silent 200 foot reel (since that's all my little collection consists of). Nice pics too, including the film box!

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2014 11:45 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have loved this film since I got the 200' as a gift from my long departed grandfather back in the early 70's. Even at 7 years old I remember thinking, 'that's the best looking Frankenstein monster ever' (after he got the right face put on!). No wonder that Gary Conway went on to pose for Playgirl. In fact, a photo of he and Whitt Bissell (in character) appear on the cover of the book Homosexuality and the Horror Film representing the mad doctor and his perfect creation. A subtext that no doubt flew right over moviegoer's heads during the initial run in the 50's!

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2014 11:16 PM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough this was one of the few horror/science fiction movies of old that my local channels in Houston rarely,if ever showed.I need to hunt down a copy of this digest along with "I Was a Teenage Werewolf."Thanks for the review Terry.

--------------------
Turn out the lights,the movie is starting!

Joe Vannicola
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2014 10:06 PM      Profile for Joe Vannicola   Email Joe Vannicola   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About ten years so,my 12 year old nephew asked why I used to collect condensed versions of movies. I replied that when I was his age, that's all we had. He kind of looked at me as if I 'd lived back in the stone age. To be honest, if I hadn't moved up to 16 mm, I'd still be collecting super 8. Film Is King!

--------------------
Joe

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2014 12:25 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We DID live in the stone age.

Kevin Wardle
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2014 10:53 AM      Profile for Kevin Wardle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the trailer to this coupled with How To Make A Monster, both in black and white with their color endings! Cool! [Wink]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC