8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » New Release: Sony Theater Announcement (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New Release: Sony Theater Announcement
Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 14, 2015 02:37 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’m a big fan of daysets. Putting “Welcome to the Theater” shorts along with concession ads and coming attractions at the start of the show add a lot to a screening. This Sony/National Amusements opener is very enjoyable.

-

Our Claymation host pops out of a bucket of popcorn to welcome us to “the wonderful world of motion picture magic.” He attempts to continue his presentation, however the audience is chattering away. His head turns into a bullhorn that implores the patrons to stop talking. The bullhorn is then replaced by fumes coming out of his neck to remind us not to smoke. He conjures up a picture frame asking us to enjoy “the exhibit in our lobby art gallery(!)” and notes that the theater is available for rental on special occasions. Fireworks and balloons pop out from the top of his head. He becomes a gift box to make the point that theater gift certificates make fine presents. Before the feature presentation starts we are asked to enjoy the previews of coming attractions.

-

Black leader follows (insert first trailer here). He returns saying “You’ve seen what’s coming, now let’s see what else is playing at this complex.” A short bit of leader (splice second trailer here), and our presenter tells us “And now, Ladies & Gents, it’s showtime! Come with me into the world of celluloid magic. Come enjoy the mystery, the romance, the horror, and the humor…” all while various objects and creatures pop out from everywhere and fill the screen. The exhausted host says “Enjoy the show!” and promptly faints. Fade out.

Running time is 1:40. The letterboxed print is sharp with good color & mono sound.
Available from The Reel Image, $28.50.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 14, 2015 05:47 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds nice. I like daysets, too.

--------------------
Dominique

Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2015 06:00 PM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is great, l may have to get one. Love theatre inserts and the like. Also a big fan of claymation (yes, I know). - Clay

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 14, 2015 07:23 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a film project ready to go: you grab a couple of trailers, your splicer and this reel and you can make a nice opening reel.

I'm going to go through what I have and see if I can do something with this.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2015 09:52 PM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got this one from RI a couple of months ago and can say it's a great little reel and top quality.

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2015 09:15 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Picked this one up from Reel Images as well. These are a lot of fun.

I would really like to see the old General Cinema daysets from the 1970s released. That is one I remember so well as a kid.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 15, 2015 10:26 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to have Drive-In Theater day sets in Super-8, like the kind Wayne Tuell does in 16mm.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 15, 2015 11:07 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I didn't know Wayne Tuell, so I searched on the net but it seems they are no longer in business. Sad new...

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 15, 2015 11:22 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dominique,

Did you find this page?:

16mm Drive-in Films

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 15, 2015 12:16 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I first ended (or should I say started ?) on this message : "After 14 years of serving the Drive-in theater community, and the Home hobby, we are retiring from the 16mm,35mm film business. Thanks to all who have supported this business. It has been a labor of love for the Drive-in for us
and a pleasure dealing with all in the past. If interested in any of our many thousands of feet of 16mm and 35mm film negatives for sale, please contact us using the e-mail link or phone number below." http://www.drive-infilm.com/16_drivein.htm So I don't know what to think.

--------------------
Dominique

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 15, 2015 12:36 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful review (complete with screenshots), I enjoyed it a lot!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 15, 2015 12:38 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!

I hadn't seen that!

Let's hope these negatives fall into kind hands.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 15, 2015 12:47 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Steve, if someone could use them to release films, that would be wonderful.

--------------------
Dominique

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 15, 2015 10:26 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug - thanks for this review, it looks a great release. It's a must for me because I genuinely use this sort of item to try and quieten one or too rather too talkative people who come to my shows! Judging for the nice colour, I suppose this is polyester?

Once again, it's nice to see this forum promoting new releases and thereby helping to make them viable.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2015 02:10 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This could be the link to Wayne Tuell 16mmDrive-InFilms.com

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 16, 2015 02:21 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, your link is the same as Steve's one and, indeed, there is still an Internet site but there is also a message (see one of my posts above) that says that they are retiring from the 16 and 35mm business. If you look at the 16mm titles they have, you will see that, except for one of them, they are all sold out.

--------------------
Dominique

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2015 04:04 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique I think the original address was
http://www.drive-infilm.com/16_drivein.htm on the page is a link to another site
http://www.16mmdrive-infilms.com/index.html

They are a few titles for sale.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 16, 2015 04:27 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the only way to know for sure is to send them an e-mail as there is no direct sales from the website. A message says : "At least through the end of summer, all sales will be done through ebay." but the EBay link ends on an empty page, so the Summer mentionned is obviousely not the 2015's one. It may be a remaining page (like the Derann's pages left on the Net). Has anyone bought recently a 16mm from them ?

--------------------
Dominique

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2015 12:25 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received a new drive in snip from Wayne through Ebay about a week ago. http://www.16mmdrive-infilms.com/ is Waynes site not sure about the other as it is based out of another state.

Although Wayne has no current auctions he had bunch of January 11th completed listings.

Cheers
Terry

ps all the clips I've bought from him have been great and his service is top notch too.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 16, 2015 12:40 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-one of the reasons I keep hearing the call to 16mm on the winds!

I love drive-in theaters and would certainly buy these if I could!

Keep it simple! Don't have room! -must resist! (-at least for now...)

(Won't last...)

--------------------

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2015 01:17 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used them in last summers outdoor show between trailers and featurettes. They got a great response. I'm sooo looking forward to using my "Lets All Go To The Lobby" snip this year.

Cheers
Terry

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2015 02:31 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is the original Drive-In on e-bay. They list quite a few negatives for sale.

--------------------

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2015 10:50 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My print of this title arrived today from The Reel Image, looking forward to viewing it later, enjoyed the review so ordered one, well done Doug, Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2015 05:27 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the great review Doug. I think I shall order one of these from The Reel Image.

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2015 06:01 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From recent emails I was asked to dig up this old topic. NO we are not going out of business. I have never really been in "business" since my costs basically only cover costs to print the 16mm films for collectors. It has always been a labor of love for the hobby, plain and simple.

I haven't been around the forums due to my day job keeping me extremely busy the last couple of years...in fact I am leaving town for another huge project in the morning.

The drive-infilms.com gets a LOT of people confused, yet Derek still keeps that link up...nothing I can do about it.

MY sales mostly go through ebay for several reasons. The biggest is I am rarely home except on weekends so ending auctions on weekends makes it easy. AND with their invoice system, my wife or kids can handle all shipping with a click of the mouse and a little printing.

At one point I did offer let someone else take over, but those who inquired were only looking for a high salary job with no equity involved.

In fact, just to add a little...I am so far away from ending new film prints, I just had a new Pussycat Theater Feature Presentation reduction made just a few months ago. Not to mention the hundreds of other snipes/trailers that I have on hand right now.

IF there is any interest, just keep in mind I am only home mostly on weekends and I can only fill orders or answer messages when I'm home. AND please keep in mind, only certain items I have multiple copies of at any given time. MOST items I only get one copy printed at a time because I only run the negative elements one time during a print run at the lab.

Click the link in my signature line and it WILL take you to the CORRECT website for viewing. [Smile]

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC