8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Journey to the West(1960)scope,color,Japan, 2x1200 ft

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Journey to the West(1960)scope,color,Japan, 2x1200 ft
Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2016 08:33 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This Japanese anime was the third anime feature released by Toei. The anime is based on the 16th century Chinese novel "Journey to the West", which is regarded as one of the "four great classical novels” of Chinese literature. Modern audiences would be familiar with some elements from story if they had seen the anime Dragonball.

In the anime, we follow the adventures of a monkey named Son Goku.
Son Goku embarks on a journey of self-discovery and learns what it means to truly be a hero.

This anime was released in the USA under the title “Alakazam the Great”. It was one of the first Japanese animations to be released worldwide in 1961. The feature movie that was released in the USA was heavily edited and had a new soundtrack recorded for it. The movie was poorly received in the USA but for those who may have seen it in theaters; it would have been their introduction to Japanese animation.

My copy of the feature is an uncut optical scope print mounted on two 1200 ft reels with Japanese sound. The colors are vibrant and this print has very little fade.

-

-

-

|  IP: Logged

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted January 15, 2016 07:11 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it 逆さまに ? 😊

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 15, 2016 12:01 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Gawd, Jason!!! How did you luck into that?!!

I have a few super 8 optical features that came from Japan, and I've always been dying to find more!

Another "first" that I have not seen on super 8!! Many thanks for posting it!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2016 01:03 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why is it 逆さまに ? 😊
Alan, Did I take the picture 逆さまに "upside down"?
Maybe I was holding my phone the wrong way. Have you lived in Japan before?

quote:
My Gawd, Jason!!! How did you luck into that?!!
I have a few super 8 optical features that came from Japan, and I've always been dying to find more!

Ossi, I live over in Japan. The only Japanese prints I can find are usually single 8/super 8 optical prints from the 60s and 70s. It seems like magnetic prints for some titles were available as well but they were more expensive.

If there's any specific movies or genres you"re looking for let me know and I"ll keep an eye out for them.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted January 15, 2016 03:12 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a beautiful print..and in Scope! I lived in Sendai for a few years many many moons ago. [Smile]

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2016 04:12 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan, I live about two hours away from Sendai by car. Did you collect any Japanese 8mm or 16mm prints while you were here?

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted January 15, 2016 04:43 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly no. It was before I even knew about the hobby!
2 hours from Sendai..are you in Tokyo?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 15, 2016 04:49 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the Future please Jason! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

They're out there somewhere!

Alan just sending a PM now.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2016 10:37 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this in the theater and loved it. Have introduced this to each of my sons. My youngest used to call it 'Deedee'.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2016 12:20 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great to hear from a collector in Japan. When I visited I didn't see any super 8 but didn't really have too much time to dig. If this isn't asking too much I'm looking for the optical digest of Emmanuelle that came in a box with a cassette. If you ever come across one I would pay all expenses for you to get it to me. Also if Barbarella came out there I would love to have that as well. Curious if you know of any horror titles that came out there other than Toho monsters. Thanks for any info.

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2016 01:06 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
2 hours from Sendai..are you in Tokyo?
That"s two hours by car. I just live a stones throw north...in Iwate. I go down to Sendai on occasion. I wonder if I could find any shops in Sendai that sold Super 8 or 16mm film.

quote:
Back to the Future please Jason!
That's not a title I've seen pop up here before. Andrew, I'll keep an eye out.

quote:
I'm looking for the optical digest of Emmanuelle that came in a box with a cassette.
Brian, I've seen quite a few Emmanuelle features for sale here. I'll be in touch if I see one. Barbarella isn"t a title I"m familiar with. i"ll keep an eye out for it as well.

I'm new to this hobby so I"m not sure as whats available as far as Japanese horror. Most of the horror digests I"ve seen lately have been Universal 8 and Ken film digests that were imported here. I'll let you know if I discover any horror out here.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2016 03:41 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason,

"Back to the Future" was definately an optical Airline print, my old boss Gary Watson sold a copy with Japanese subs back in the day, lovely print, great sound, but whenever someone spoke you got big red Japanese characters onscreen with about third of the screen size used, he still got £350 then (@ 1992-93), which was a lot of money in those days. I wonder where that print is now!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 22, 2016 04:48 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I know where I'd like it to be Barry! [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 22, 2016 11:30 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason's post is yet another example of how this forum manages to be amazingly educational! I'd never previously heard about specific Japanese Super 8 prints, or head of Super 8 optical 'scope prints!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2016 12:34 AM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, I've come across quite a few 8mm optical scope prints. I"m looking forward to writing more reviews about some of the optical prints I've acquired here in Japan.

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2016 08:41 AM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're looking forward to that too, Jason. Thanks and keep them coming!

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2016 04:24 PM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jason, as far as you know, is there any website like ebay where a collector can search for super8 Japan films?
I'm looking for Japan anime but I've found only a couple of 200ft extract in ebay.it at prices that are above their real value.

BTW, compliments for the pictures and film!

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 23, 2016 08:55 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Jason. This perhaps helps to explain the number of Elmo projectors with optical sound, if owners in Japan were buying optical features produced for collectors rather than airlines.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2016 09:27 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fabrizio, I sent you a PM.

Adrian, Just about every feature I've found here have been optical prints. I think almost all of them have been on Fuji film. They have a slight purple tint but are much more easier to watch than a red Eastman film.

I have the GS-1200 Xenon Optical. I don"t think anyone would have ever wanted to buy it outside of Japan. Unfortunately, I don't have too many optical features to watch on it yet.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC