8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Lost In Space 3 x 400ft B/W sound The Reluctant Stowaway

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lost In Space 3 x 400ft B/W sound The Reluctant Stowaway
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 07, 2016 02:56 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this was of big surprise for me. When i saw this on ebay i popped my bid in at £43 and when i came back to see how much it went over the 100 mark i was gobsmacked to see i had won it.
In all my collecting years,(now in its 37th year),i always knew there were some prints around but could never find one. I am one happy bunny and as its a xmas present, (start early and spread the cost) for my Brother from me and the Mrs & i know he is going to be over the moon as we all grew up with this series.(no pun intended there)
What we have here is the full pilot episode on 3 x 400ft spools b/w sound.
The plot,
An historic day for The Robinsons - John, Maureen, Judy, Penny and Will - become Earth's first family of outer space, on its way, accompanied by pilot Maj. Don West, to colonise a planet circling Alpha Centauri; however, Dr. Smith, as an enemy agent of a foreign power, means to set them on a course of doom by reprogramming the robot to destroy their ship, the Jupiter 2, eight hours in space. The unfortunate doctor winds up caught in his own treachery and hurls off into space with the Robinson party. His excess weight first throws the ship off course, then, with the robot coming to life and smashing up all the controls, they all become "hopelessly lost in space.
Very pleased with this purchase,especially such a rare find on the super 8 gauge, & a snip at £42, the print,(advertised as slightly soft), is ,in my opinion, actually very good considering the age it must be. It's as good as the MGM releases which are renowned for being very slightly soft, the images here dont do it justice. With all the credits intact that unforgettable music rings out loud and as many of you may already know, the music to this and many other episodes was by none other than John Williams, credited on here as Johnny Williams.Only a very few minor black lines here and there but nothing worth mentioning. [Wink]
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 07, 2016 09:28 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Find, Tom!

With two Star Trek episodes on the shelf I'm still getting used to the idea of watching TV on my movie screen, but I had no idea this even existed!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2016 10:17 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes well done Tom, I am jealous
[Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 07, 2016 10:23 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never fear!

-Smith is here!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 07, 2016 11:53 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom

As a fan of the TV series when I was a young teen way way back in the 60s, that's a fantastic find. [Cool] [Smile]

PS Tom, you are probably aware, there is a "Lost in Space" Facebook, some of the existing cast still comment on, plus they have regular conventions in the US and are very popular. Tom its up to you, but if you were to post this onto there "Facebook" I am sure the fans would be over the moon [Big Grin]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 08, 2016 01:49 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,thanks for that, assuming i found the right one i have popped a bit on there. [Wink]
I am very pleased with this one. Probably my best ebay purchase so far.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2016 03:29 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is amazing what is turning up especially on super 8 gauge. If someone had said Lost in Space to me I would have naturally thought 16mm. It looks a nice print too.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 08, 2016 03:53 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It certainly is much better than i thought it was going to be and that music rips through my speaker system, its funny really how watching something like this is just so much better on cine film & on that big screen, what a great episode to have to, i think this is the only one available on 8. Better in b/w to as it wont fade. [Wink]

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2016 08:19 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom-

Thank you so much for another RARE film review. I am a life-long fan of Lost in Space, and I especially love the black & white first season. I always considered getting this episode on super 8, but I usually watch the first five episodes together, so I resisted since I've had it on VHS and now, DVD.

But I think if I see a copy of this for sale I may get it one day, just to actually see it on film! [Wink]

James

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 16, 2016 06:47 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks James, have to say it is a new experience seeing this on the big screen projected. I have now put it through three times, even the music through the stereo speakers makes such a difference compared to TV.
I certainly didn't expect to win this at our low bid but i am very pleased we did.I cant wait to see my Brothers face on Christmas day when he opens it, its one of his favourite TV series as well. [Wink]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 16, 2016 06:57 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile] [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC