8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Exorcist 3 x 400ft Mini Feature

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Exorcist 3 x 400ft Mini Feature
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 13, 2017 03:19 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug, I started this one in a new thread only because this is the review for the 3 x 400ft as opposed to the 400 already reviewed. Apologies if this is wrong on this occasion

Tonight was time for a little horror, and what title covers this than the modem 1974 film The Exorcist. I first purchased the 400ft version years ago, this was an extremely well edited version of the film but i wished for more. Many years later, (like 20 years), i stumbled upon this very well put together version from WB, 3 x 400ft now joined onto an Elmo 1200ft spool. This one does have two parts that were put in by the previous owner, it does actually make a little difference but to be honest if they were removed it would not spoil this film one bit as it is a very good edit. As it happens the colours have held up very well, i will say, as always, these images really dont do it justice, the film has good sharp image, (not quite so good as the 400 edition), very good colours with the very slightest of fade but only on reel one. The sound is excellent throughout. As you will see from my screenshots there isn't a mark on this print. Now for those who would like to read the plot here it is edited to this 1st class mini feature.
Lancaster Merrin is a veteran Catholic priest and exorcist who is on an archaeological dig in Iraq There he finds an amulet that resembles the statue of Pazuzu, a demon whom Merrin had defeated years before. Merrin then realises the demon has returned to seek revenge.
Meanwhile, in Georgetown, actress Chris McNeil is living on location with her 12-year-old daughter Regan.
Regan begins acting strangely, including making mysterious noises, using obscene language, and exhibiting abnormal strength. Chris hosts a party, only for Regan to come downstairs unannounced, telling the guests "You're gonna die up there", and then urinating on the floor. Regan's bed also begins to shake violently, much to her and her mother's horror. Chris consults multiple physicians, but Dr. Klein and his associates find nothing medically wrong with her daughter, despite Regan undergoing a battery of diagnostic tests.
One night when Chris is out, Burke Dennings is babysitting Regan, only for Chris to come home to hear he has died falling out the window. Although this is assumed to have been an accident, given Burke's history of heavy drinking, his death is investigated by Lieutenant William Kinderman, who interviews Chris, as well as priest and psychiatrist Father Damien Karras, who has had his faith in God severely weakened and left badly shaken after the death of his frail mother.
The doctors, thinking that Regan only believes she is possessed, recommend an exorcism to be performed. Chris arranges a meeting with Karras. After recording Regan speaking backwards and witnessing the etching of the words "Help Me" on her stomach, Karras is convinced Regan is possessed. Believing her soul is in danger, he decides to perform an exorcism. The experienced Merrin is selected to do so instead, with Karras present to assist.
Both priests witness Regan perform a series of bizarre, vulgar acts, and confine her to her bedroom. They attempt to exorcise the demon, but a stubborn Pazuzu toys with them, especially Karras. Karras shows weakness, and is dismissed by Merrin, who attempts the exorcism alone. Karras enters the room and discovers Merrin has died of a heart attack. After failing to revive Merrin, the enraged Karras confronts the mocking, laughing spirit of Pazuzu, tackling the demon to the ground. At Karras's furious demand, Pazuzu then possesses Karras, leaving Regan's body. In a moment of self-sacrifice, the priest throws himself out of the window without allowing Pazuzu to compel him to harm Regan, and is himself mortally injured. Father Dyer, an old friend of Karras, happens upon the scene and administers the last rites to his friend.
A few days later Regan, who is now back to her normal self, prepares to leave for Los Angeles with her mother. Although Regan has no apparent recollection of her possession, she gives Father Dyer a kiss, a likely hint at posthumous thanks to Father Merrin and Father Karras.
I am pleased that the previous owner did not put in the extra parts of the exorcism itself as this may have runined this film with the different levels of colour and sound. The volume of the 400ft version was very low in comparison to this 3 x 400 version.

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 14, 2017 11:49 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW!!

Excellent copy of this digest! Most I have seen are either fading or really faded. Yours pretty much looks to be pristine!

... and, excellent timing for this review, of course, with Halloween coming up and all!

Good job!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 14, 2017 12:16 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers Osi, & we will be looking forward to our Halloween horror nights in Universal soon. [Big Grin] [Wink]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 14, 2017 12:21 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As for us ...

Our yearly screening of

Day 1 "Poltergeist" feature scope and
Day 2 "The Fog" feature scope
Day 3 "ALIEN" feature scope

3 days of cool horror!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2017 01:00 PM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great looking print ! Mine has faded quite a bit but still watchable. What stock is your print on ?

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 14, 2017 01:06 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alexander, i shall try and have a look, i am not too clever at finding the markings but will try and get back to you. [Wink]

Osi, you are very fortunate to own a copy of the Alien feature, i'm jealous [Wink]

[ September 14, 2017, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2017 02:00 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I love The Exorcist! Truly one of the greatest films ever made.

I first saw it in my late teens (actually I was 17 and technically too young to be admitted here in the UK) on a re-release about 1988 and was in awe of it, despite the battered, scratched, splicey 35mm prints that the cinemas were showing...in fact, maybe that added something to it...?

Friedkin's documentary approach to cinema was a revelation.

I then went looking for a used copy of the super 8 version and have since owned several 400ft versions, but all were rather disappointing...scratched to hell, grainy, etc.

I've never seen the 3 x 400ft version, but your copy looks amazing.
[Smile]

It's just one of those movies that has to be seen on real film...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 14, 2017 02:33 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Rob, have to say i do have a copy on DVD but i have never watched it, i prefer to see this version on the big screen. I do appear to be very lucky with this one as all the ones i have seen appear to be either completely red or fading. I dont know when my luck will run out but all my films are in a permanent dark cool room so i know this helps. I just have to keep moving them every three months to keep things good. [Wink]

BTW, the reason for the larger image is simply because this is of course the iconic picture on the posters, any film buff will instantly recognise this image as being the Exorcist.

Here are a few more images for you,
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC