8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Star Trek the Motion Picture 3 x 400

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Star Trek the Motion Picture 3 x 400
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 06, 2018 04:03 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No need to tell you the plot of this 1979 movie, This is the marketing 3 x 400ft version joined onto an 800ft spool, we bought this one new upon its release so this copy is probably around 35 years old at least. Bearing that in mind this copy ,while showing early signs of fade, has held up very well. As always i am a little frustrated with these images as you cannot see the colours we do on the screen, the blacks are still black with only one or two scenes in reel one showing that light red hue. Now this is one that marketing did edit quite well, and with a Paramount logo to open up and an original end caption, you do actually feel like you have watched the film. No sudden edits and no cuts in the soundtrack. If only they did this well with All of there 3 x 400ft releases.
The last time i viewed this print was 31/01/2013, five years ago, the comment on my log, (captain Tommy's Log), was "light fade,5%". This doesn't appear to be any different today so we are very pleased. There should be a few good years left in this one yet. Well edited, fast moving and great quality.
As this is a review here is a summary,
The Federation calls on Admiral James T. Kirk (William Shatner) and the crew of the Starship Enterprise to contain an immense nimbused object that's on a crash course with Earth. After investigating, the crew discovers that the alien cloud harbours artificial intelligence with an ominous primary directive. Crisis strikes when a probe dispatched by the energy cloud attacks the crew, abducting navigator Lt. Ilia (Persis Khambatta). An android look-alike containing her memories shows up soon after
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2018 10:19 PM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very good Tom, excellent screen captures as usual. I too purchased this mini feature when it was released about 35 years ago and mounted the three parts on one 800' spool. I haven't screened it in decades as my original Super 8 collection is, and has been in storage for years. I hope that when I finally have the chance to retrieve my copy it will be in the same condition as yours.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 07, 2018 01:22 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hope so to Burton. Are your films all stored in a cool tempreture?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 07, 2018 11:24 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only have the "making of" extra long trailer for this, (also released by Marketing), and the color is about the same on that reel O mine.

I hope that this 3X400ft was released low fade, either Agfa or fuji. I wouldn't mind finding a great color copy.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2018 12:05 PM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...In an indoor storage facility in the city of Victoria, British Columbia. I lived there for 17 years. Anyway they maintain a temperature of 20 degrees so I hope that is cool enough.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 07, 2018 12:29 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as the indoor storage facility stays in business ...

I had a fellow collector friend who went overseas for awhile (a little over a year), who didn't know that the business/storage facility went out of business and didn't tell him. Many of the storage units were broke into but worse (in his case) was that all facilities were obviously shut off, and with temperatures in Idago getting to, sometimes 108 degrees during the summer, (and this was a brick facility) ...

Many of his prints "baked" and while the low fade prints survived, largely unscathed, he had a great number of non-low fade prints, and they were toast! [Frown]

Great review as always, Tom!

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 07, 2018 02:03 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blimy Osi.imagine coming back to that!!!
Thanks for the comments [Wink]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 07, 2018 06:02 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

Thank you for the review. I bought my print on eBay back in 2002, shortly after my return to this hobby. I had picked up a number of badly faded digests and was getting discouraged, then I screened this beauty and I was amazed. Gorgeous color, sharp focus and nicely edited. The best part is I watched it recently and it still looks great!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 08, 2018 01:38 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Doug,
Its good to know there are a few good agfa prints out there. Ours,as you can all see, should hopefully still have a good many years left [Wink]

[ February 09, 2018, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

David Coppola
Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2018 09:21 AM      Profile for David Coppola     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ST TMP is a very long, sometimes tedious movie.
That being said, an 800' version of it would probably be very good.
I watched it once, back in the early 80s and got very bored.
Now ST2 The Wrath of Khan, well that's a different story altogether.. ;-)

Martin Dew
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2018 10:48 AM      Profile for Martin Dew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually love the whole film and the Super 8 cutdown. I know the feature is considered boring and overlong, but I think the music score and look of the film are superb. I'm not even a Trekkie but I'm a big fan of Robert Wise, and I always admired his ambition and appreciation of scale.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 09, 2018 11:26 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to admit this, (as I at least used to be a major Trekkie), but when i saw this in the movie theater as a double feature (with "battle Beyond the Stars"
as the first feature), I actually fell asleep during Star Trek!

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 09, 2018 01:31 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a fan of this feature. Robert Wise and Douglas Trumbull were rushed by Paramount to get this in the theaters so corners were cut on the FX. There is a DVD release where additional funds were given so the film could end up looking as originally planned.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 09, 2018 02:50 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one was kind of a big deal in the history of the franchise. None of the features and new TV series would have happened without this first step.

Grant you: not their strongest offering, but based on the latest one or two it's becoming pretty respectable!

If I have any gripe with it at all: it has the worst uniforms in the history of Star Trek!

Seriously: Star Fleet Admiral or Dentist?

-

"Be honest with me: have you been flossing?..."

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 09, 2018 04:09 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a good one Steve, [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Have to say this edition is very good and fast moving but also captures those scenes where the scale of the alien cloud/thingy is seen when the enterprise is shown gliding across it and together with the music, it is very well done. No CGI crap here.
My favourite in the series, and i would love a full colour scope 16mm copy, is Star Trek 2 The Wrath of Kahn. That is a great treky film and like many, i am not a treky fan, i just like a few of the films and prefer the original TV series to any of the others that followed [Wink]

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2018 12:03 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Doug and many others, I was a big Fan of this Trek entry.
I was really pleased with this Marketing films release. Great idea to do it letterboxed too.

-

Found These in my basement...Even Back then I thought to keep The OB and reels/spools, Now I really want to retrieve the print!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 10, 2018 10:22 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We also kept all the original boxes on this should we ever sell it. Those marketing cases were fantastic. [Wink]

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2018 04:02 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that when this was show on UK television, possibly for the first time, the print supplied was longer than the company expected. It over-ran its allocated time-slot by about 20 minutes.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 11, 2018 01:27 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, i remember once a TV showing was the version with the extra footage. It was around 30 minutes longer than the theatrical version. I must admit though this 50 minute version is long enough for us. I did see it on its release in pictures and i was at times a bit bored. [Wink]

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2018 02:24 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great review, Tom.

You just have to love those Marketing boxes. I still get quite excited seeing them and remembering as a kid gazing at them in the cine section of my mother's Marshall Ward catalogue...and the prices I could never afford...

I hired the 8mm many years back and found the fast pace and short running time (that of an episode!) actually improved the movie.
[Smile]

That said, the DVD Director's Version (Region 1) is worth seeing, as it was Robert Wise's chance to go back and re-edit, tightening it up and adding some of the more character driven scenes only previously seen the extremely lengthy extended TV version.

An effects company also re-did and added effects scenes which help matters, especially the finale when Vger launches the threat to Earth.

Sadly no HD version - rumour is the effects and re-edit were only rendered at 480 lines...Doh!!!

Martin Dew
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2018 08:25 AM      Profile for Martin Dew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, that is really sad to hear. I thought a UHD BD disc would eventually come out with both theatrical and DVD 2001 director's cuts, but that looks rather unlikely! How could they spend all that money on the director's cut and only render at 480? I sold my SD DVD of Wise's cut in the US, thinking it would certainly come out on BD.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 17, 2018 09:44 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, i wish we could get all nice new marketing style boxes for all our super 8s. The library would look great.
Im surprised at the lack of a decent HD disc of this title, after all it was the first of the star treck films and was very talked about prior to its release which was a major event at the time.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 17, 2018 11:54 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forget who it is, but someone on this forum or elsewhere, makes his own reproductions of boxes (or brand new boxes that never existed before), and kind of follows the marketing look for his covers. They are very nice.

It's funny, I sold my "Raiders of ther Lost Ark" 400ft, but i recently dug out the original box for it, (Marketing), now I'm wishing that i had the film in it. [Confused]

--------------------

Martin Dew
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2018 05:15 PM      Profile for Martin Dew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the Marketing boxes are great. Still have the box for the 1 x 400' STTMP trailer/cutdown thingie reel (complete with score from Marathon Man mixed in!).

Tom, the Paramount BD of the theatrical release is stunning, and the 7.1 audio is booming.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 18, 2018 04:21 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Martin, i think i'll give that a whirl. [Wink]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC