8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » You Only Live Twice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: You Only Live Twice
Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2018 09:42 PM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You Only Live Twice ( 1967 ) Produced by Albert Broccoli and Harry Saltzman : Written by Roald Dahl : Directed by Lewis Gilbert
THE PLOT
When an American space capsule is swallowed by a mystery spacecraft, The Americans suspect the Soviets. When a soviet capsule suffers the same fate the Russians accuse the Americans and the world is on the brink of world war three. British Intelligence suspect something more sinister and point to S.P.E.C.T.R.E. as the likely culprits. Bond is sent to Japan
where it is believed the Nemesis organization is operating.
This is the fifth film in the James Bond series and is one of the best for me, as it has Connery as Bond, Great main title sung by Nancy Sinatra, Ninja warriors,
Space capsules, a mini helicopter with a deadly arsenal, killer Piranhas and the first time we see Blofeld's face. Non stop action from beginning to end. An excellent Bond film.

THE PRINT
The Super 8mm Scope print from The Reel Image comes mounted on 6 X 400' reels/spools and is Poly, single striped stock. Good source negative was used as the print is very sharp, with very good color saturation and contrast. The scope presentation is excellent. Even in Mono the soundtrack is very Dynamic and crisp.
Overall I am quite impressed with the quality of this release. Kudos to Steve for offering such great prints!

The print looks much better than these, but here are some screen captures:

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

[ February 25, 2018, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: Burton Sundquist ]

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 25, 2018 03:32 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks great Burton. You have some fine titles.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2018 04:28 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks a really good print there for Super 8mm Scope.
Thanks for sharing with us Burton.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 27, 2018 11:36 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great review and even greater screenshots! I have to say, if one has the finances to afford these big dollar titles, there is top notch quality to be had out there!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 27, 2018 01:13 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Compliments on some great screenshots! Considering such features are not cheap, this Forum and such posts are a great resource in providing potential buyers with valuable information.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2018 09:24 PM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for everyone's comments and feedback. The posts and photos are for the benefit of anyone curious as to the print's quality. These are smartphone captures but they give a general idea...

The Credits are in German
 -

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2018 09:44 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Burton for reviewing this release. It's a film that I have wanted to find and its great seeing a review with pictures. The print looks amazing.

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2018 01:05 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jason,
All the better thanks to the Hi-Pro lens ( and another thank you for that ). If you are a Bond fan, this would be a print to consider. As I Am sure you are aware, the action takes place mainly in Japan!

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2018 03:01 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing the screen shows here sadly reminded me that the director of this film, Lewis Gilbert, died yesterday at the age of 97. Not a bad innings though.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2018 06:10 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can't go wrong with this print. Mine had a balance stripe so I had it re-recorded in stereo, which adds even more enjoyment to watching it.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC