8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Cinema Of Our Time

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cinema Of Our Time
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 09, 2019 03:44 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema of our time 1989
Produced by Lee Mannering
200ft Mono and Stereo.

I started filming this project during 1989 having been in contact with Warner Cinema and secured permission to film in and outside what was to be the first 12 screen WB multiplex in the UK and so formed a small group of film makers to help as I went along with the project.

Being so keen about film itself it was fascinating to enter the large screen world of cinema, walking behind the screen looking at the ranks of speakers and up in the two projection rooms which housed 6 projectors each including both 35mm and 70mm.

From the outset I wanted to make a record of my experience in the building the like I had never seen before equipped with the latest technology and massive screens in some auditoriums. Eventually Batman was due for release in 70mm and I had a phone call they were loading it up the next day rushing over to film it on the platter. If you have the film you will see that very shot as the projectionist carefully put his hand on the film so that I could film the Batman name going past as it rotated. A bit risky but we got the shot!

After a few months of filming it was in the bag but I did get another call saying Yahoo Serious was calling in his white limousine to sign autographs so back I went again. He was telling me about how he started film making with 8mm which only enthused me even more you will guess.

By this time editing was underway carefully cutting it all together then recording a stereo multitrack to finally dub back to magnetic stripe. The finished film was entered into a few film festivals being shown to large audiences which was a nice experience to see something you have created appreciated by others.

Word eventually got to some of the 8mm distributors and I started getting phone calls looking at a possible 8mm release. The first to call was Perrys so I went with them as I had purchased many films from them over the years and enjoyed a guided tour around the lab in London also watching dear Arthur make the negative of my film.

Prints of the film were made available by Perrys within a few weeks and a little later Derann also pick my film up as well although the Derann version is a little harder to find these days. Perrys started getting requests for Stereo prints and I undertook to dub them all which was done on the Elmo GS800 also for Derann.

This year is the films 30th anniversary since filming started and I do hope those of you who have a copy have enjoyed it as much as I did producing it. Film is a magical thing but sadly the magic does not last forever. A few years ago the cinema closed after a brief spell being owned by The Vue chain. The building was ransacked and then demolished which we made a few journeys to film once again on film. Gaining a brief access inside the once glorious cinema it was infested with pigeons, the roof was leaking badly and that same 70mm projector was soaking wet and rusting a very sad sight indeed.

That Multiplex was a glories place in its heyday and great memories watching Batman and Jurassic Park in a very full cinema on a massive screen.

Well here we are 30 years on and I still get 8mm prints to record into stereo for lovers of the film which is a nice thing.

My next film production would be Cinema in Miniature but that's another story....

The end.
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2019 07:34 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice review Lee. I’m happy to say I finally tracked down a 8mm print. It is good to hear some stories surrounding the making of the film. I really enjoy it. It is sad to know that the Mutiplex is gone...it didn’t last too long. Do you remember what year it closed down? Was it because of not making the transition to digital projection?

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2019 08:52 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, is there any chance of putting this on line as I’m more likely to become a ballet dancer than have an opportunity to see your film?

--------------------
Dave

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 09, 2019 09:00 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Bill 2007 The Vue closed it down and moved into town to a 10 screen much smaller, it certainly doesn't have the glitz Warner had. Dave I distribute 4 of my efforts on disc if you would like details please PM me.

Director Danny Boyle was a regular at the WB and you could meet many a film maker on a visit.
Thank you for the comments.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 09, 2019 01:57 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Review, Lee!

I would love to have a print of this. I enjoy Cinema in Miniature and always wished there were more like it: films about film.

Have you ever considered a new release of this film?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2019 08:43 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a little gem this would be to own on film. I am with Steve and wonder if there is any possibility if we can generate enough interest for another run. Thank you.

Greg Perry
Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2019 09:27 PM      Profile for Greg Perry   Email Greg Perry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent suggestion! I have "Cinema in Miniature", but have never seen the other ones which Lee did. I would be up for a print of the others as well. In the meantime, I will be ordering a DVD of these from Lee.

Lee, any chance that you still have the negatives for any of these?

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2019 04:54 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a great and fun reel! I have two used copy's in mint shape! I brought from Derran. Both are mono! A must have for the collection!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 13, 2019 08:43 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also available through Derann on VHS tape, not sure if it was available on NTSC.
 -

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2019 10:49 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There seems to be a Super 8 copy on ebay at present.
https:/ /www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CINEMA-OF-OUR-TIME-Super-8-film-STEREO-Derann-Films-Warner-Cinema-documentary/273698314222?hash=item3fb9b0d7ee:g:1xAAAOSwTGNcYoM9:rk:23:pf:0
"Signed by the film maker"

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 16, 2019 01:21 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the high points for me were when I watched Derek project that master print and when it was projected at Bradford. Regretfully the negative went to the tip. But nothing stopping anyone making me a offer to reprint it 😎

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 16, 2019 04:52 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll compromise, Lee: if you need to sell 10 prints to make a go of it, then I'll make you a tenth of an offer!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC