8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Scars of Dracula 400ft

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scars of Dracula 400ft
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 14, 2019 03:29 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann Films release

Early Hammer 400ft release from Derann and as mentioned back in the day one of its best selling titles.

Cleverly edited to a nice collectable 400ft reel The Scars of Dracula was a film produced at a time of crisis for Hammer, mind you when were they not having financial problems. It features a interesting cast list Chris Lee, Dennis Waterman, Jenny Hanley and Patrick Troughton to name a few. If you had ever seen this projected in a cinema you will remember the lively colour however this now quite ancient 400ft was always muted looking back in time and now most 8mm prints are a shade of red. BUT all is not lost! Now and again reasonable colour prints can be found and fortunate enough to have finally found quite a good print.

I bumped into Jenny last year which was a nice surprise and she still has that charm about her and funny. Would be great to have her at Blackpool 2019 doing autographs, I'm sure fans would love to see the queen of Super 8 horror.

Anyway back to the plot before I loose it again. The 400ft flows well along its 17 minutes or so featuring many key moments of the feature film and is really enjoyable particularly if you factor in this was a relatively early colour 4 X 400ft release for beloved Derann as well. The old Acetate prints are a bit of a ticking time bomb due to the prospect of Vinegar Syndrome setting in but I have yet to see a SOD suffering from it.

So, here we have a highly desirable 400ft reel release with pots of Derann history attached and worthy of any film collectors mini archive.

9/10 from me for the film

10/10 for the colour box design.
 -

[ March 14, 2019, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

|  IP: Logged

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2019 01:49 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, I can see why Derann put out the full Length Feature! Because of this digest! I have this excellent print and color feature! Its one of hammers BEST! Very Repeatable!

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 14, 2019 09:25 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sold the 400' when I obtained the full length version, but if I remember rightly one interesting point about it is that it includes a sequence lasting a few minutes - that builds up to the girl working at the inn becoming a victim of Dracula - that wasn't included in the 4 x 400' version.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2019 01:34 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up the full version last year its on 5 x 400ft reels. It has the R ratings logo in the beginning. Film is mostly faded Eastman with some trickles of some low fade stock.Good movie to watch on Halloween.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 15, 2019 09:38 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian - I think you must have the 4 x 400 with some extracts cut in from the feature or the 400'. The feature was released on 4 x 600' and it appeared far enough into the 1980s to mean that it's almost impossible that any prints were not on polyester low fade stock.

[ March 16, 2019, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2019 05:52 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 4x600 ft version is the one to get! On low fade stock! A sharp print with excellent color! Runs 96 minutes! Uncut! Rated R. A real show stopper!

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 16, 2019 04:46 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Leon but you forget that came a good few decades later!

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 16, 2019 12:14 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone would like a full length print for a relatively low price, I currently happen to have an unwanted copy of the Derann b/w Std 8 5x400' version!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2019 04:37 PM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the full length print of this - I bought it from the states several years ago an excellent print .

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2019 09:06 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian I tried to send you a pm about the film you have but your mailbox is full.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2019 07:31 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm guessing Adrian has decided to keep the film. Never mind.

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 29, 2019 09:59 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buy the feature much better! Its very sharp and has excellent color! And its uncut! A full 96 minutes!

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 29, 2019 10:28 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill - apologies, as I haven't been very well during the last couple of weeks and I've missed many of the posts in that period. If you're still interested in the film, could you please try another PM - or direct message via the appropriate symbol - as I've deleted a lot from my inbox, so there should not now be a problem.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2019 06:38 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, my apologies too, after reading my last post I sound a bit rude. I will send along a pm. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC