8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Worm Gear Replacement

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Worm Gear Replacement
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2007 01:14 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody ever attempt to replace a worm gear on a B&H 2500 series unit?

|  IP: Logged

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2007 06:19 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No I have not tried, decided not to for a number of reasons.
First here in UK replacements made of solid plastic cost about £35. ( A B&H machine on UK Ebay will average about £40, the last 26** range will be about twice that.)

I'm told it is a major strip and rebuild of the machine to fit the worm gear, and unless done by a very carefull expert the machine will have out of line fauts when complete. To have the work done will add over £100.

So I scrap the B&H 's with worm gear faults.

I've found the later models with the dark grey/brown cases to be the most reliable. I avoid the green ones I have never had one free of worm problems, previous models 50/50.

--------------------
Regards,
David

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2007 08:25 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been toying with just hacking one up myself since I have 2 models that are running, but one has sound issues and the other has a loop-bunching issue. So, what the hell, if I'm going to trash them anyway why not see what my limited knowledge and some good common sense can accomplish, right? Does anyone know if you need special tools or are allen wrenches and a screwdriver sufficient?

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 17, 2007 02:32 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A top tip for you.

Video the projector being taken to bits in close up, and when you come to put it back together you can play the tape backwards (slow search). This way you will know how everything goes back together again. It is a doable job but take your time...

John A. Pommon
Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2007 05:04 AM      Profile for John A. Pommon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lee Mannering: A top tip for you.
Video the projector being taken to bits in close up, and when you come to put it back together you can play the tape backwards (slow search). This way you will know how everything goes back together again. It is a doable job but take your time...

What a great idea. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Antique Video Transfer Service
2" Quadruplex videotape to DV/DVCAM digital transfers
5001 Diamond Hts Blvd.
San Francisco, CA 94131-1621
www.antiquevideo.com
antvid@antiquevideo.com

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 24, 2007 05:34 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Dont forget there are service manuals on the forum in the manuals sections. Download them as a guide to stripping down and rebuilding with all the correct setup procedures.

Great fun stripping down the B&H's to replace worm gears [Frown] and watch out for flying springs [Big Grin]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2007 09:08 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geesh......I totally forgot about the MANUALS section of this site. Thanks, Kevin.

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2007 11:09 AM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Mr. Park,
I learned that B+H 16mm full plastc worms costs approx. 35 Pounds.
Im looking for worms.
Could you please give me address, Tel.No. of a seller of B+H worms?
Thanks in advance,
Best regards
Josef Grassmann

PS:
everybody else ist invited to give me information about seller of worms for B+H 16mm

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2007 11:35 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ebay item
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/bell-and-howell-worm-gear_W0QQitemZ140118704400QQihZ004QQcategoryZ11722QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
This seller is a well known dealer, and will probably have more.

--------------------
Regards,
David

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2007 01:44 PM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gentlemen,
Why not avoid B&H entirely? [Big Grin]
Bauer,Eiki,Elmo just seem to run forever... [Roll Eyes]

Cheers,
Lars

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 25, 2007 02:58 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The big plus with B/H over projectors like Eiki is the use of the three claw pull down, which makes them more forgiving with old films. [Smile] I have seen collectors having more trouble loosing loops etc with there two claw Eiki, [Eek!] it does surprise me that while they build a good projector Eiki completly fail in this department. [Confused] The late model B/H slot loader I have been using for about 13 years now has never given any problems. [Wink]

Graham.

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2007 06:44 AM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Mr. Pettersson,
I repair filmprojectors and to remain familiar with stripping off B+H´s you need at least 1-2 worm replacments per year.
When B+H´s worm gears had been replaced, then they will stay in very relaiable state for many years.
Last year I replaced 3 Worms. In 2007 I have done nil so far. But I have 3 B+H´s here with broken worms, waiting for repair. One is provided with Marc 300 arc-lamp (my own one).
Nevertheless I like Bauer, Fumeo, Eiki(ELF), Siemens 2000, Elmo a.s.o., too.

Ian John
Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2007 06:49 PM      Profile for Ian John   Email Ian John   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad,

I beleive Phil Sheard at Classic Home Cinema has them. Read the "About Us" page on his site (right-hand side of page). Here's the link:

http://www.classichomecinema.co.uk/

Hope it's of some help to you.

Regards.
Ian.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC