8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 16mm long throw lens enquiry

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 16mm long throw lens enquiry
Den Brown
Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2009 06:48 PM      Profile for Den Brown   Email Den Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know much about these?

1) If I wish to project 16mm via an Elf NT2 placed 20 metres (65 feet) from the screen, which of these long throw lenses would be best: 63mm, 73mm or 100mm?

2) Which would give the largest image? (approx size?)

3) Which would give the sharpest/brightest image?

Many thanks.

|  IP: Logged

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2009 02:27 AM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. It depends on what size screen you have.
2. 63mm. The shorter the focal length, the larger the picture from the same distance to the screen.
3. Generally, focal lengths such as 50mm will have the fastest aperture and provide more light. Among the three you mentioned, the 63mm lens will probably be the fastest. Sharpness depends on overall optical quality, so any of these lenses may be the sharpest. Usually lenses on the extremes of the focal lengths have optical compromises and tend not to be the sharpest. There are a lot of determining factors, however.

--------------------
John Hermes

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2009 04:55 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a 65ft throw you will have approx the following screen widthes:-

63mm lens.....10ft
73mm lens.....8ft
100mm lens....5ft 10ins

--------------------
EIKI Ex 6100 xenon machine.

Den Brown
Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2009 07:11 AM      Profile for Den Brown   Email Den Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks.

No screen size limit as I will be screening onto a large white wall so I assume I should go for a 63mm as I need a large screened image.

Should I surmise that the only relevance of the barrel length is the screen size or do these lengths also affect brightness?

What is a good focal length rating for a long throw lens?

Regards.

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2009 11:54 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that you are getting confused between focal length, and the size of the lens aperture, expressed as an f number.

The focal length is the measurement from the rear lens element to the nodal point, and is an optical measurement that we need not worry about here.
This is expressed as, in your example, 63mm.

The aperture, or f number as it is often called, is a reciprocal of the focal length., and is an indication of the maximum amount of light the lens will let through.

If you measure the diameter of the lens, and then divide this into the focal length, you will then have the f number. IE if the diameter is 31.5mm, and you divide this into 63mm, it gives an f number of 2 (f2).
The smaller this f number the more light you will project onto the screen.

--------------------
EIKI Ex 6100 xenon machine.

Den Brown
Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2009 04:32 PM      Profile for Den Brown   Email Den Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

Which of these lenses would be best (brightest) to project a large image with the Elf positioned 20 metres away from the screen?

50mm F1.2
63mm F2.2
76mm F1.5
89mm F2.8
100mm F2.2

Thanks

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2009 08:15 PM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 50mm f1.2 will pass more light but the picture will be magnified more (larger) than the other lenses at the same distance. Therefore, the amount of light hitting the screen may or may not be more. Keep in mind, too, that an f-stop is a theoretical number, with the lens coatings and glass quality also being taken into consideration. This is usually more important with zoom lenses, but does affect all lenses.

--------------------
John Hermes

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2009 10:37 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
It's also worth considering that the 50mm f/1.2 is the news formula with the best coatings and thus will most likely give you the best picture. Also the faster the lens (lower the f/ number) the less the depth of field which requires more critical alignment of the projector to the screen and lens to film gate. Any mis-alignment will show up as one side being out of focus or the inability to maintain razor sharp focus across the picture. The 50mm lens (made by Kowa for Eiki) is the last of a design that started at f/1.4 then f/1.3 and finally the f/1.2 design.

John

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC