8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 16mm prints restoration (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: 16mm prints restoration
Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2009 12:43 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can Marco's service be used for black and white film?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

|  IP: Logged

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2009 01:11 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, try to contact him (his e-mail address appears at the very end of the video he uploaded on YouYube and I've linked on the topic post of this thread).

Anyway I think it would be possible. [Wink]

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2009 02:05 PM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Michael, I had a clip in black and white and the result is really good. I hadn't the chance to compare with the original film, but I noticed no color shift.

Larry, I spoke with Marco today and he asked me to explain the problem with the different color:
"First of all we have to consider two different systems: film and electronic.
Film has a wide color dynamic respect to video and dvd are usually made from a low contrast movie film (Kodak television print 2395/3395) otherwise they cannot mantain the dynamic resulting in burnt whites and strong blacks.
This means that the dvd has a dynamic range specific only for video but too limited for the film itself, so if you go back to film you have to make a compromise between black and white because if you enhance black you're not able to have a correct white and vice versa.
Secondly you have to deal with the projector hitself, that is used in a different way from its main purpose, and its panels haven't a good dynamic. Of course the use of cathodic tube or even a laser will will give a better result and higher costs but you won't have back the same image you have in the original film (e.g. consider dvd compression). Maybe varying bulb color temperature in every scene will result in a more correct color dynamic, but it's something that has to be tried.
Of course, when dealing with electronic, a little change in color parameters may result in a great shift in colors of the film"

Further, Marco told me that chemicals are changed every 15min roll of film (600ft).

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2009 02:08 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting indeed, Fabrizio. And very good, accurate and clear explanation.

Thanks [Wink] !

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

John Davey
Junior

- posted November 28, 2009 01:42 PM      Profile for John Davey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

I am having Marco do some work for me as well. I will let you all know how it turns out.

I have taken the liberty of translating all of the text from the video through Yahoo babelfish. Of course, the translation is not spot on, but, it gets the point across. I will post it here in the order it appears in the video. Hope our english speakers find this helpful.

John

1. Step 1: Charge on the computer the rows of the part lacking or ruined of the film

2. with appropriate programs of editing video one acquires the rows on the dedicated timeline and negative through the plugin becomes

3. once render the rows pass to the press of the 16mm with film kodak 3383

4. the cinema camera 16mm Arriflex in phase of press

5. the press of the optical column to density variable

6. Attention all operation goes executed with the cinema camera sluice for obvious reasons

7. Step 4: The development of the hardly printed material

8. the material developed and already be inserted in the dannegiate parts or lacking the film, looks at being the transparent polyester while the triacetato one not

9. Step 5: Completed the development it is proceeded to the control of the executed job

10. fine of the restored part and beginning dell' it originates them

11. This and the system that is studied to me in order to transfer rows types them on film and to be able to save and to complete many usurati films 16mm from the time and the projections

12. for any information you can write: marco@ondaradioservice.it Bologna 2009

AND THIS IS THE TEXT THAT APPEARS IN THE INFO SECTION TO THE SIDE:

13. Example of restoration "amateur" for 16mm film in some parts missing or damaged.
Being a collector of 16mm films I've often found with the problem of restoring ruined some movies (but only) in my collection and finding copies in good condition of those I thought
to construct the entire chain of printing from a digital file in order to restore the missing parts
or ruined.
It took almost 3 years of work and testing to achieve a satisfactory result.
Who is a collector like me can contact me without any problems for any questions and suggestions.
Good vision.

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2009 01:31 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if PAL formatted versions of Robinson Crusoe On Mars is available? I need one to send to Marco for some footage.....all I can find is NTSC.

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

John Davey
Junior

- posted December 23, 2009 02:48 AM      Profile for John Davey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Got my footage from marco.

The bad news, I didn't think to compensate for the speed difference, so the audio turned out sounding much slower than it should. I'll have to remember to compensate for that the next time I have work done.

The image is passable for replacement footage. It looks different from the original due to the formatting of the DVD vs the original film. The colors are a slight bit muted.

All in all, though, it didn't turn out terrible. I definetely use Marco again, it'll be easier knowing what I need to compensate for this time around.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2009 04:40 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

In the future, please describe the compensation that you analyzed
to produce the results for good sound and color.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Thomas Stathes
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2010 05:59 PM      Profile for Thomas Stathes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eagerly awaiting a couple prints from Marco now. Curious, how long did it take US customers to receive packages from Italy?

--------------------
Drop me a line at CartoonsOnFilm@gmail.com

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2010 06:48 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It only takes about a week.

I've been doing some more with Marco. To eliminate some variables I wanted to develop the film here to see if the problem was in his developing. I sent a regular image that he shot, as before, and when I got it back from my lab it turned out pretty much like I expected a double linearized image to look like. However, the sound was now very low. The image I could correct by adding a linear to log conversion so I consulted the lab and it sounds like I need to applicate the sound track. I have the test now with him and hopefully this will come out looking and sounding great. I will let you all know.

Nathan DeHahn
Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2011 03:42 PM      Profile for Nathan DeHahn   Email Nathan DeHahn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of optical soundtrack while you print films? Variable Density, Variable Area, or Unilateral? [Confused]

--------------------
Kodachrome Kid

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2011 03:51 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a variable density track, recorded directly onto Kodak
Vision print stock with a green light. When processed, you end up
with a magenta track. It plays back fine through any projector at correct audio levels.

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Nathan DeHahn
Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2011 06:05 PM      Profile for Nathan DeHahn   Email Nathan DeHahn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How interesting, I am looking forward to put my 16mm short in sound someday. [Smile]

--------------------
Kodachrome Kid

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC