8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 17.5mm - How rare?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 17.5mm - How rare?
Mike Carro
Junior

- posted November 04, 2009 07:09 PM      Profile for Mike Carro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've come across some 17.5 mm film. I'm wondering if they are worth anything? Mostly our gang 3 inch reels.
thanks

|  IP: Logged

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2009 09:30 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

If nothing else, they are certainly one of the 'niche' formats in what is already our 'niche' hobby, much like 9.5mm. They are not exactly readily available.
At least hang on to them and see if any of the collectors here might have use for them.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Mike Carro
Junior

- posted November 05, 2009 10:19 PM      Profile for Mike Carro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, thanks.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2009 10:31 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nearly as rare as hen's teeth, yes?

Kinetoscope films usually sell on eBay for hundreds each when they rarely turn up, but 17.5 may be less desirable, seeing as Edison's name and the older vintage helps interest in the other format.

Hang on to them and the value can only increase, right?

How about posting some photos for those who have never seen this format?

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2009 05:41 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

BTW: what kind of 17.5mm-format is it? There have been several versions that all differ in sprocket holes (dimensions, positions and number) and hence aspect ratios ...
http://www.xs4all.nl/~wichm/filmsize.html#17,5
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_formats

Jörg

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2009 03:21 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Pathe 17.5mm Sound movie projector and a little bit of film that I picked up at a flea market many years ago. It is not in working condition, one of the many projects I may someday get to is restoring it. What is bizarre about it is that there is no exciter lamp, the optical sound light source is the main projection bulb, that reflects though a mirror arrangement down to the photocell.

The film looks like 16mm, just a silly millimeter wider.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2009 12:56 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mitchell and Mike if you guys want to get rid of your 17.5mm stuff (especially the projector) let me know since that stuff is definitely in my interest zone... I love the off-guages and project 9.5mm stuff regularly here in Los Angeles but want to start screening more of the unusual guages...I have a few 17.5mm films but no projector yet since it is always so expensive to get those shipped over because of the extra weight caused by the sound equipment...That stuff is alot more common overseas in UK, where most of that was made....

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC