8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 16mm Bauer / Rank Aldis fixing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 16mm Bauer / Rank Aldis fixing
Stian Soereboe
Junior

- posted January 14, 2010 01:48 PM      Profile for Stian Soereboe   Email Stian Soereboe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, i am new to this forum. I hope to gain and share knowledge about the film hobby and so on.

About the Bauer, Rank Aldis 16mm projectors wich i think is similar to each other yes? I need help with an issue that came after i did the classic mistake of disassembling a plug without taking notes.

* The amplifier board have a transformator located just underneath. And there is 2 wires from that connecting
to the amp namely plug "J" and they was taken apart from the plugīs housing.

Can someone tell me how they were supposed to stay?
If they are likewise, or need to be + or -

I tried serching for a picture showing the path from the
transformator to the amp board but didnt find..

|  IP: Logged

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2010 05:18 AM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As there exist more than 16 different versions of amp, you should state P6,or P7 or P8 and type and Serial-no.
It would be even better if you could state Bauer-No. of amp.
There is a label on PC-board with Bauer part-no. on it (10 digits), e.g. 8 698 075 098.

Josef

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 15, 2010 07:31 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
If the wires come stright from the transformer it wont make any differance which way they go on the amp board as it will be AC voltage from the transformer with rectification on the amp board itself. Just pop them back into the plug and all should be good.

Kev.

[ January 15, 2010, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: Kevin Faulkner ]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Stian Soereboe
Junior

- posted January 16, 2010 04:38 AM      Profile for Stian Soereboe   Email Stian Soereboe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes thanks! I was unsure how it works out.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 16, 2010 08:56 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Let us know all was ok [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 01:53 PM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great reply Kev [Smile]
Stewart

--------------------
I`ve, seen things you people wouldn`t believe,

Stian Soereboe
Junior

- posted January 16, 2010 06:51 PM      Profile for Stian Soereboe   Email Stian Soereboe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it will be ok Kevin [Smile]
Btw its a Rank Aldis Automatic.
The machine was almost wet of oils probably because its been
not kept upright (the small oil container) or wrong kind of lubrication?
So i had to take it apart, and while that mentioned plug was almost off i had to disassemble it from its housing for a fix. And so it happend. Im not a good electrician in depth on how thing works in circuitry, (thanks again) but know how to work these mechanics so it will be good in the end [Big Grin]

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2010 09:39 AM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems you got a earlier modell from ca. 1970 with 15 Watt / 8 Ohm amplifier. Take care not to connect your projector to a 4 Ohm speakerbox. It might destroy germanium power transistotrs.

On this amp two wires in question are related to a big choke (looks like smaller transformer).
From real transformer via rectifier + and - DC voltage (2 wires) is supplied to amp. Those wires mustīt be exchanged!

The open tank used to be filled with a special oil. Later BAUER recognised that too much oil is pumped (by up/down of felt strip)
to cam and spread all over projector within short time.
Next step they introduced the special white grease to top up tank.
Do not use oil in tank again.

Stian Soereboe
Junior

- posted January 17, 2010 12:45 PM      Profile for Stian Soereboe   Email Stian Soereboe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The amp board is number: 8 698 370 124
Mainboard is: P 6/2-L Lichtton Wiedergabe 8 6983 70 114
These are original setup combinations?

When i look at the amp pcb again there is no "J" sign as in the plug, coming from the small transformer.
Abit confusing. So.. I must see if that one will be stay open until the end.

Josef, can i damage it if i put the wrong wire on the mentioned plug? Is it AC going both ways right?

On the main axle iīve used white grease (filled the 2 holes),
also same in front of the axle. and the container above i did not do anything yet [Smile]

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 17, 2010 04:59 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Stian, As I said before providing the 2 wires come straight from the transformer it will be AC voltage. This means that it doesn't matter which way round the wires go to the amp board..

Kev.

--------------------

Stian Soereboe
Junior

- posted January 18, 2010 12:02 PM      Profile for Stian Soereboe   Email Stian Soereboe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.. hope i made you understand about it,
quote:
From real transformer via rectifier + and - DC voltage (2 wires) is supplied to amp. Those wires mustīt be exchanged!
That is the mains transformer, right?
Sorry if i make a mess of this. I will go for it now as you said in the first place. And iīll follow the lubrication advice Josef.

Thanks for your help ppl!

> UPDATE: It works well [Big Grin]
> And also the new oil this is almost only the sound of air!!

[ January 18, 2010, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Stian Soereboe ]

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 18, 2010 05:09 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Have faith my friend [Smile]

Glad its sorted. Kev.

--------------------

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2010 05:35 PM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...370 124 is transformer + rectifier board, with 2 fuses.
There are 2 wires from rectifier GL2, 55 volts DC, these wires mustīt be exchanged!
....370 114 is amp-board produced from 1971, 20 watts but still 8 Ohms.
If the 2 wires (white?) in question lead from choke via plug to amp-board, than it doesīt matter which way you connect the wires. The choke is smaller than mains-transformer and it has 2 wires, only.
The choke is needed to improve quality of DC current. There is no AC voltage at choke. But here you can put connectors into plug as you like it.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC