8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Elf not holding focus

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elf not holding focus
Den Brown
Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2010 04:41 PM      Profile for Den Brown   Email Den Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Elf NT2 is not holding focus. Goes soft every one or two hundred feet after re-focusing.

Is the focus knob slipping somehow? Not keeping the set position in the lens barrel thread?

Should this thread be lubricated for a tighter fit or completely dry?

|  IP: Logged

David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2010 05:21 PM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You probably need to replace the little rubber thingy on the focussing knob spindle - try that! I use either a)brake fluid piping or b)aquarium tubing or c)[which I haven't tried yet] a chap today suggested using electric cable of the right thickness with the wire withdrawn! Cheers, David E
P.S The proper answer is the proper Elf spare part - but where from?

--------------------
I've NEVER let failure go to MY head!

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2010 06:31 PM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have tried both the aquarium air tubing, and the brake fluid tubing ideas that David mentions.
Both seem to work without any trouble.

I tried the electrical cable idea and found that when the wires were taken out the rubber/plastic insulation tends to form into a triangle shape. This makes it very hard to get focus in the first place let alone keep it.

--------------------
EIKI Ex 6100 xenon machine.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 28, 2010 11:44 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After many years of trying to find the perfect replacement tubing for Elf/Eiki focus knobs, I followed up a tip from someone and obtained a stock of a particular type of windscreen wiper tubing! It's excellent and will probably last far longer than the awful stuff that Eiki persisted in using. I can look up the info for anyone that wants it - or anyone can save time and money by sending me £1 + a SAE. I'll then send enough for at least 5 projectors. Money refunded if not delighted! Email me via here for my address.

[ January 29, 2010, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2010 11:58 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used plastic fuel lines for model aircraft, however I have been told that PTFE tape wound round the focus knob is also quite effective.

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2010 05:01 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Adrian on Windscreen washer rubber tubing.
Available at most Auto Parts dealers. Theres a few different sizes so make sure it will fit Ok. I have used this tubing for a long time with no problems. I super Glue the rubber to the adjustment spindle to ensure it doesn;t slip when turning the knob.

Dogtor Frankarnstein [Razz]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 29, 2010 01:22 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I use windscreen washer tubing - it's ideal. Available in the UK from any Halfords branch - just ask for their cine dept.
[Wink]

[ January 29, 2010, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Michael O'Regan ]

Den Brown
Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2010 06:22 PM      Profile for Den Brown   Email Den Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,

How do I e-mail you? It is not possible to send you a message via PM.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 30, 2010 07:19 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Den,
Just saw your message. Must have been a temporary problem, and I've just unsuccessfully tried to send you a PM!

You can email me via: adrianw_8-16 at tiscali dot co dot uk

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Edwin van Eck
Master Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2016 06:25 AM      Profile for Edwin van Eck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

We have this part now ready (using 3D printing techniques):

-

EIKI focus knob shaft canister SL ST RT - PP-0100 (new)

EIKI focus knob shaft canister - PP-0100 (new)

On most EIKI 16mm projectors the original canister is broken and need replacement.

Fits among others the following projectors:
- EIKI SL series
- EIKI ST series
- EIKI RT series

This part clamps firmly onto the focus knob shaft.

Manufactured with 3D printing techniques.

Weight: 1 gram.
Size: 15 x 8 mm

Design by 3dformadesign.nl
Made in the Netherlands

Link to webshop: http://shop.van-eck.net/PP-0100.html?_globalsearch=pp-0100

--------------------
Edwin van Eck
Van Eck Video Services

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 14, 2016 09:30 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Den You can still also buy the complete focus knob new to replace, but I have been using coaxial cable outer for years (TV aerial cable) usually about 40pence per mtr.
Happy days!

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2016 07:30 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was suggested to me to use masking tape by wrapping it very tightly around the part until it was the right thickness. And it worked.
It was the first and only time I've had to do that and it was a little bit scary but I told myself that I can do it....and I could [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 15, 2016 05:19 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done [Smile]
My crowning Elf moment was to discover they will run on discarded RAF fighter jet belts. I'm only waiting for it to lift off now!

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2016 07:02 AM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edwin you have a private message.

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2016 06:45 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,after test the part on my own eiki RT-1 i must say its a wonderful part that do the job excellent.After 2:30 hours of continuosly projection of the film "Braveheart" the film stay in focus all the way without need of adjustment,buy this part and all your focus troubles on the eiki will disappear.

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC