8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 16mm sound - Help Please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 16mm sound - Help Please
Pasquale De Marco
Junior

- posted May 26, 2010 11:09 AM      Profile for Pasquale De Marco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks,

We have a customer that apparently has 16mm optical "wave" sound film. It seems that there are 3 types: magnetic, optical wave and optical with lines. Is that right ?

Are there projectors that handle more than one ?
Any suggestions for good models ?
Most Ebay offers just say "Optical" not which type.

I'm not a hobbyist, I have a transfer business.
I post here occasionally and you have always been helpful.

Thanks in advance !

Pat De Marco

|  IP: Logged

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2010 11:13 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "wave" track is called "variable area" and the "lines" track is "variable density". ALL machines should handle BOTH happily if the sound optics are properly adjusted for alignment and focus.

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2010 11:29 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Magnetic sound is a brown stripe along the edge of the film. It is in effect a small tape recording.
Wave sound is called Variable area, and line sound is called Variable Density.
Both are optical sound,and both can be played back on any optical sound projector.
The difference between the two types is in the way the sound was originally recorded.
This makes no difference to playback.

--------------------
EIKI Ex 6100 xenon machine.

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2010 04:42 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://paulivester.com/films/filmstock/guide.htm
Here is a good link that shows the different types of sound tracks.

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 26, 2010 08:56 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pasquale - I'd personally recommend one of these Eikis, and the seller has several. It's possible to buy cheaper 16mm projectors but this is a good one that's more modern than most in circulation, so less likely to have had extensive usage. Easy to use and good features, too. I think it's the model without speakers in the fron case (although there's one in the back, so a buyer needs to have a separate speaker to use.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Eiki-ENT-0 -16mm-Projector-Optical-Sound-Great-Shape-/130388789600?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5bc70960

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Pasquale De Marco
Junior

- posted May 28, 2010 06:45 AM      Profile for Pasquale De Marco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THANKS ! Great help as always.

Was 16mm sound predominantly magnetic or optical or was it evenly divided ?
Was there much family 16mm sound ?

We have not seen any "family" 16mm sound - only silent. The only 16mm sound we've seen has been "professional".

I'm guessing that all 16mm sound projectors have some sort of RCA-like output for an external speaker. Adrian, I will look seriously at that Eikis.

Thanks again

Pat

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2010 08:28 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
16mm optical sound is much, much more common than magnetic.

Apart from a few expensive cameras purchased mainly by TV news crews, sound had to be recorded on a separate tape deck then added later. Most amateurs did not bother with the hassle and extra expense.

Projectors can have many sound outputs, sometimes RCA, sometimes 1/2" Jacks, DIN plugs etc..

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2010 02:16 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 16mm print of "Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman" is made up of two prints which have the different optical tracks. There is no noticeable audio difference when projected.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 29, 2010 06:57 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what a RCA-like output is but Eikis have standard jack sockets. It seems rare to find home movies shot on 16mm with sound, but a few of the projectors with magnetic sound have recording capabilities, so I presume that some of the buyers of these wanted them to record soundtracks on striped home movies.

I think it would be true to say that magnetic sound is superflous for the majority of collectors. I eventually wanted it because I decided to collect Scopitones (which are all magnetic) but I only have one other film with magnetic sound - and I didn't even know that it was magnetic until after I bought it!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 30, 2010 02:39 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RCA is what we in the UK call phono.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC