8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Hello Everybody! - ADDED- Help with P5 Power

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hello Everybody! - ADDED- Help with P5 Power
Craig Janeway
Junior

- posted September 09, 2011 10:08 PM      Profile for Craig Janeway   Email Craig Janeway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Just saying "Hi" and introducing myself to the group. I'm just getting started at this, although I've always been interested in film, and now that I'm a demi-centenarian, I'm finding myself returning to my intrests of my youth... I have more time now.

I recently purchased a Bauer PW5L18G2 16MM projector. I have not received it yet, but would like any info you care to offer, such as pointer, links to info, where to get parts if needed, standard stuff when restoring what I believe to be a great projector.

Thank you in advance

Craig

P.S. Is this the Bauer P5 and does it have sound?

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2011 04:38 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Craig and welcome aboard!

I don't know anything about that unit but your in the right place to find out!

Bill [Smile]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 10, 2011 08:22 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Craig,

Welcome to the Forum! I'm not quite sure of your particular projector since there are a few different models that were part of the Bauer P5 series. The "L" versions are optical sound projectors but I recall they needed a separate tube amplifier. I believe they used a 1000 watt bulb and came with a very nice Kiptaron lens. Enjoy!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Robert Lewis
Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2011 03:25 AM      Profile for Robert Lewis   Email Robert Lewis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Craig.

You might find this link (http://olafs-16mm-kino.de/index.htm) as helpful as I have. It includes considerable information on Bauer and Siemens projectors, as well as links to manuals and service information. I have two Bauer P7 machines and found the link to be incredibly useful. Almost all information is in German, but using translation facilities to be found on the web helps non-German speaking people to a considerable extent.

Craig Janeway
Junior

- posted September 12, 2011 02:55 AM      Profile for Craig Janeway   Email Craig Janeway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the welcomes and info [Smile]
Optical sound needing an amp means no sound projector for me. That's okay, as I bought it to telecine for when I shoot 16mm film. Still need to get an inexpensive 16mm Bolex.

Thank you again,

Craig

p.s. Great link... that will help me out a bunch

More questions...

I was reading the link and am I correct in thinking that I won't be able to run the projector without the amp? I'm getting the idea that you can't just plug it in to a wall outlet???

Craig Janeway
Junior

- posted September 12, 2011 01:56 PM      Profile for Craig Janeway   Email Craig Janeway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sent an email to Olaf and he replied in a timely manner and said that it depends on the model. I think he was refering to the P5S model that is the only one with the amplifier for the bulb built into the camera. All the other models rely on the external amplifier for proper clean voltage to the bulb.

I wish I could just put a step down transformer in the projector to power the bulb from the 220V connected to the main input plug, but I don't think it's that simple.

If anyone has figured out a work around for no external amplifier, I would love to hear how to do properly so as to not burn up the projector.

Craig

P.S. Karsten Schmidt replied to an email I sent him as well. He's over at tube-classics.de and he sent me the manual for the P5's... thank you Karsten S. I used google translate to read it, and there are some schematics in there, I just need to go word by word to get a translation of these. If I can see that amplification is only for speakers and pickup, and the other two voltages are passed on withonly simple fusing and maybe filtering, I can probably come up with a work around.

UPDATE: Okay, I've read through Olafs information on his web site and decifered what I need to know... here it is:

You can directly connect the projector to 220V for motor operation and bulb operation.
Note: I'm a little confused by the plug diagram. 220V is should be between L1 and L2, and not just one leg of power to netural. In otherwords, 2 legs of power to the motors and bulb if a step down transformer is already in the projector to provide 110V to the bulb. If no transformer, then simply use a 250V 500W Halogen bulb instead to make it easy to get the projector working. I still want to check and make sure there are fuses on each leg of power in the projector, if not, add a fuse block.

UPDATE 2:
Okay, found this transformer for $30 step up/step down 110V to 220V so now I can plug it in anywhere.

Seven Star Step up an Down transformer TC500 110/220 V - 500W

Can't vouch for the quality but it has the specs to work.

THE AMPLIFIER IS STRICTLY FOR THE SOUND AND SPEAKERS (not yelling, just making it stand out).

[ September 12, 2011, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Craig Janeway ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC