8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » A new toy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A new toy
Eric Ray
Junior

- posted May 18, 2012 01:19 PM      Profile for Eric Ray   Email Eric Ray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought a Schneider Kreuznach anamorphic lens for 35mm projectors from Ebay. I want to attach it to my Bell & Howell 3580 projector.
 -
 -

This did not work.
 -

This did, but my arm might get tired after awhile.
 -

The B&H lens has a 48mm thread and the Schneider lens has a 67mm thread (measured with a ruler). I could not find one step ring adapter to go from 48mm to 67mm. I do not know if the threads of the Schneider lens are compatible with the step ring threads. Will two step ring adapters work or will I need to get a lens clamp. The back of the Schneider lens is 70mm wide. I will still need to support the lens with some sort of bracket.

Any input would be appreciated.

Eric

|  IP: Logged

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2012 01:34 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nthing wrong with using two rings, but take lenses with you when buying to make sure they do the job. But you WILL need to suport the weight at the front!!!
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 18, 2012 02:15 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin's right there Eric,I would suggest a bracket for the front
of your projector,or even a separate stand because an attachment to the lens itself will put a heavy strain on the lens mounting and
will result in pictures being out of focus or possibly damaged film.

Eric Ray
Junior

- posted May 18, 2012 11:10 PM      Profile for Eric Ray   Email Eric Ray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the input.

Eric

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2012 12:51 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric,

Here is one possibility for you; this is my set-up with my Isco 'scope lens:

-

It's an Atlas microphone table stand with a microphone shockmount with the rubber bands removed, and tilted into the upright position.
The stand is also available as a two-section model with adjustable height.

Since diameters vary on lenses and shockmounts, you would have to measure the diameter of your lens to find a shockmount that is close to the right size. If you find a combination that is close, then some tape or material around the barrel could give you the right snug fit.
With the number of cheap Chinese mics on the market, their shockmounts are quite affordable.

Just my way of doing it... [Smile]

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2012 04:45 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is one smooth set up Claus....I'm gonna build myself one...giving you full credit for design of course!

Bill [Smile]

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2012 05:00 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why, thank you, Bill...my name engraved on the base will do just fine.... [Big Grin]

PS: just as an addition, this shockmount is for a Marshall (Chinese condenser) mic and as long as you respect the balance point and gravity of these heavy lenses, the lock on the mount has relatively little strain on it. Just don't try to hang it from one end or such, or I strongly suspect it will start drooping.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC