8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » B&H 1592 16mm Troubleshooting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: B&H 1592 16mm Troubleshooting
Adam McCreath
Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2013 06:44 AM      Profile for Adam McCreath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the first of many questions to come:

I have a Bell & Howell 1592 16mm projector which I am not happy with. I am having some belt issues (seems to slip off a lot) and I think the timing is screwed up as a result. My first question is: does anyone have a link or scan of a B&H 1592 operation manual they could post or email to me????

Secondly; can anyone tell me what sound system this model has (optical or magnetic)? I have played a film through it but didn't have any sounds. My first insticts would suggest the speaker is toast but I'm just beginning my troubleshoot and trying to figure out exactly what the problem may be.

Any help/tips/advice is appreciated!!!!

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 23, 2013 07:49 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam

This is an optical sound projector. There is an "exciter" bulb that reads the sound track on the film. If that is burned out there will not be and sound. They are available on ebay or post a Want Add here on the forum for one if needed. Also, up in the left corner of your screen click on the "manuals" button, scroll way down to "16mm projectors" and you will find a parts and service manual free to d/l.

Good luck!

PatD [Wink]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 23, 2013 08:51 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Adam. That will be the green model them. I think that is optical sound only so in use you should see a little light from the right sound drum area showing you have optical sound pickup as Pat mentioned. If you don’t see the little light then the lamp may be missing so un screw the grey cover and look inside, if it is missing or blown they can be obtained. Re the drive belt slipping off, it’s likely the black belt you have fitted has stretched due to age/use so a new one will be needed and fitted from inside the back cover which is a fair old job for a newcomer. This model takes the more unusual main projection lamp I believe although obtainable. A1/258

Adam McCreath
Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2013 09:02 AM      Profile for Adam McCreath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the tips! I will investigate over the comming days and try to figure it out.....

maybe a dumb question but; if the light comes on then would it be safe to assume I am trying to play film with magnetic sound and not optical? How do I tell if the film I am playing has optical or magnetic sound or does it matter??? The same film play perfectly on my B&H 3575...

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2013 09:55 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Adam, There are a few additional checks you can apply regarding your problem with lack of sound. 1.Before you lace up the film, switch on the amplifier and turn up the volume, if you can hear a "hum" from the speaker this more or less confirms the speaker connections are o.k. 2. If you hear a "hissing" sound and the and the exiter lamp is alight the amp is also likely to be o.k. 3.Turn the volume down a little and pass a slip of paper up and down between the exciter lamp lens and the sound drum. As you move the paper as described you should hear a "plop" sound from the speaker as you do it. This confirms all is well with the sound system. This is a standard check used by projectionists for many years when setting up for a show. 4. 16mm optical sound track can be seen on the non perforated edge of the film. This appears as varying thickness black line or lines (variable area origiating from R.C.A.) or varying grey to black horizontal lines (variable area, originating from Weatern Electric). 16mm Magnetic sound film stripe is wider than that of 8mm but otherwise looks the same, i.e. a dark brown line. It will not play on an optical sound only projector. 5. If you by any chance have a dual sound machine I suggest you check the instruction manual as you have to switch the input to play the correct sound track. I have never come across any "comercial" film prints with magnetic sound. Hope this helps, Ken Finch [Cool]

Bryan Witten
Junior

- posted May 02, 2013 01:19 AM      Profile for Bryan Witten   Email Bryan Witten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your slipping belt could be because the gear box is hard to turn, either from a crook worm gear or a full overhaul is required. Full grease to all sprocket shafts etc.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 02, 2013 05:31 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Adam.
Ah the Bell & Howell, finest projector for 16mm films and a precision instrument. Your model is from the latter part of the 70’s.
Back to the point…
If you model has the mechanical lever to switch over speeds the belt slipping off will be due to one of two things.
1: You need a new genuine drive belt
2: Inside the back and around the belt is a stainless steel guide which flips the belt over when changing speed. A machine of mine started throwing belts off and it was due to this needing a little bending as it was rubbing against the main drive belt flipping it off. If you have the back off its worth fitting a new drive belt at the same time.

Sound problems are another matter but you can get into the amp from underneath.
1: Check you have exciter lamp fitted. It will light up when machine running.
2: Could be a switch problem
3: B&H used to link the pre amp and main amp with multi connectors. Worth disconnecting (pull off) these and giving them a squirt of switch cleaner then re fixing.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC