8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » bell and howell question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: bell and howell question
Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2013 07:20 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Are the Bell and Howells 2585 good reliable machines. Easy to repair,Good on film and don't shred film

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 18, 2013 09:08 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now you're talking. A good later projector. But make sure the worm is OK.

--------------------
Maurice

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2013 03:30 PM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that model is from the late 80's and runs very well and smoooooothly.

But, like Maurice said, watch that worm gear!! I have a 1552b from 1975 that I loved since I got it in 1987, but the worm gear cracked in two (like a womans braclet)when I went to try it out a couple of weeks ago (I think I went wrong by letting it sit in storage for 8-9 years)--now the motor runs and nothing else happens [Frown] . Now I'm just keeping it for parts.

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

Far too many machines--I'm sick

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2013 04:21 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I use the Eiki sl o lens in a bell and howell 2500 model?

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2013 05:13 PM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think so, but I'll check when I get home late tonight. To even use the B/H Filmavara attachment on my Eiki, I had to get an ring adaptor. There is a guide that lists lens size differences but it won't let me link.

Google: lens sizes for 16mm projectors
Click on Projector Lens 16mm

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2013 05:22 AM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I checked and the Bell & Howell lens thread diameter of my 1552B is a lot larger than my Eiki SSL-0. I'm not aware of any adaptor--but there could be... Bell had a big lens like the Singer/Telex 2200

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2013 08:58 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the difference between the 2585 and 2592 models?

Is the slotload models better than the autoload models?

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2013 11:45 PM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

The 2592 is more of a full featured TOTL model. It has separate bass and treble controls. It has still picture and B&H's Directamotion that let's you exam each frame. I can't remember if the 2592 ran at silent speed--but the 2585 I had did not.

Everyone has their opinions about slot, auto and manual load. Slot is the easiest system to remove a partially watched film. Slot can, gulp, fast rewind through the gate but usually can't reverse project. I'm becoming a huge fan of manual loaders, but I suspect showing a 2 or 3 reeler with one projector would be a little irritating because I am a little slow at threading. I had no issues w my autoloader until the worm gear busted-- it was neat watching it load.. Removing a partially watched film from an autoloader scares me to death because I seem to get stuck in certain places. My Eiki slot load snapped one of my films in two one when I first started the machine in forward mode--to this day I'm not sure why.

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2013 08:45 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
A while back I had a couple of Bell Howell 500 series and they shredded film. Never figure out why.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC