8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Eiki RT-0 Sound Speed Variation Problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eiki RT-0 Sound Speed Variation Problem
Brad Tompkins
Junior

- posted September 18, 2013 11:13 AM      Profile for Brad Tompkins   Email Brad Tompkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys! I just joined. My Eiki which I've had for years suddenly had a sound problem. It just dropped like a fly. While poking around at the solar cell I likely broke it. I replaced the solar cell and the sound came back! The projector, since replacing the cell does this odd thing where the speed of the sound goes up and down (wow/flutter?). The guide that sits to the left of the sound pickup (with wheels attached to a black plastic rocker) bounces back and forth like a seesaw while the movie is playing. I've tried tightening the spring that presses against the sound wheel but that doesn't help. If I hold my finger against the sound wheel the speed steadies. Did I break something/forget something when replacing the flywheel or ?

|  IP: Logged

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2013 01:18 PM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You said that you replaced the flywheel? I have an Eiki SSL-0 and it has a brake of sorts that flips against the flywheel (the flywheel is visable bottom left looking into the back insides of the projector--it's a rather heavy piece) when the machine is stopped (I guess without it, the flywheel is weighted/balanced and could spin for a long time after the projector is stopped. Make sure that "brake" is not resting against the flywheel in "forward" mode or that drag could be causing your wow problem.

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

Far too many machines--I'm sick

Brad Tompkins
Junior

- posted September 18, 2013 02:38 PM      Profile for Brad Tompkins   Email Brad Tompkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't replace the flywheel, but I did have to remove it and put it back on to replace the solar cell. I saw the brake you speak of last night, it is not touching the flywheel during forward playback. Thanks tho!

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2013 03:11 PM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, well that takes care of the easy stuff...lol.
Since you removed the flywheel, are you certain that you didn't bang, dent it, or maybe bend the shaft (including the sound drum)? (On a closed loop reel to reel deck, I had one roll off the table onto the floor and pretty much ruined it) Those things are individually balanced using drilled holes and or weights (like flywheels in a manual transmission car)and would really wreck havoc if slightly damaged.

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

Far too many machines--I'm sick

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC