8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Is projector scratching 16mm Film?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is projector scratching 16mm Film?
Sean Sexton
Junior

- posted October 12, 2013 02:36 PM      Profile for Sean Sexton   Email Sean Sexton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I transferred some B/W 16mm film for a client and he seems to think that my unit is scratching his film. I am transferring 16mm on a regular and don't seem to have this problem, so I'm thinking it was the way his film was prior to giving it to me. I'm using Sniper HD from MovieStuff in case that helps. Any info on the best way to know for sure if its my unit or not would be appreciated. Here is a screen capture  -

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 12, 2013 04:38 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean,

Welcome to the Forum. It's hard to tell, however that looks like quite a few scratches to come from a one time transfer.

Take some white leader and use a black Sharpie to draw a line across from edge to edge on both the base and emulsion side. Allow the ink to dry and then run the leader through the telecine. You'll be able to see clearly if there are any scratches running through the lines.

I'm assuming you clean the film path and gate after every use.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Sean Sexton
Junior

- posted October 12, 2013 08:49 PM      Profile for Sean Sexton   Email Sean Sexton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Doug,

Thanks for the info. I did your test and it does look like my machine is doing so scratching, although not as bad as the film looked in the image. I went through all the rollers and gate and cleaned it all very well, but I am STILL getting a streak in the middle. The first sprocket roller looks like I can see grooves in it, but when I look at the header going through it is not pushed down hard enough to create a mark. I looked everywhere but can't locate the part that is causing this issue. Do you have any suggestions on how to detect the exact spot on the machine that is causing this. Any help would be much appreciated.

UPDATE: I have gone through all the rollers, taken everything off and cleaned as best as I can do and I'm still getting scuffing on the surface. I really don't know what to do at this point b/c I can't detect anything along the path, but I know something is causing the scuffing.

[ October 12, 2013, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Sean Sexton ]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 12, 2013 10:31 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean,

Could you post some pictures of the film path?

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Sean Sexton
Junior

- posted October 12, 2013 10:44 PM      Profile for Sean Sexton   Email Sean Sexton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, images attached.
 -
 -
 -

-

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC