8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Exciter lamp Eiki

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Exciter lamp Eiki
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 15, 2013 04:23 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My exciter lamp didn't went on. It did not looked burnt but when I tried it on my other 16 mm Eiki it did not switch on neither. So I bought another bulb. I tried it and still nothing. I tested it in the other projector and it did lighted so the precceding one was faulty but there is still something wrong. I looked at the fuse, it looks ok but as the preceeding bulb looked also ok it may be that. Does anyone have an idea of another possible problem (before I look for a nex fuse) ?

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2013 05:21 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you check the terminal? the eiki I had developed the same problems. The terminals were dirty. Fresh bulbs did not work.I just replaced it with a whole new QV-1 terminal. But maybe you can try to clean it.

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2013 05:24 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you check the terminal? the eiki I had developed the same problems. The terminals were dirty. Fresh bulbs did not work.I just replaced the whole terminal. But maybe you can try to clean it.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 15, 2013 05:49 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't suspect someting like that. The terminal of the exciter lamp is firmly put on a piece of the projector, so i hope I will not have to replace it. I will try to clean it too see if it helps.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 17, 2013 03:00 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clean round the area where the three pips from the lamp make contact, and also the centre terminal.
Very gently use a very fine grade of emery paper.

--------------------
Maurice

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2013 09:07 AM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A pencil eraser comes in really handy for cleaning terminals (low voltage, but still with the power turned off!). My Eumig power terminals had the same issue and was easily fixed with an eraser.

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

Far too many machines--I'm sick

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 17, 2013 05:22 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advices. I will try that this week-end.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 19, 2013 01:14 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could see no corosion signs but I decided to follow the advices and cleaned both the support and the bulb contact (actually, although I bought it at an electrician shop the word "unused" should be more appropriate than "new"). It worked as the lamp comes now on but the sound is weak (I would say at a third of the normal power). So I am progressing (thanks foe the advise of cleaning) but it is not yet 100 % satisfactory. If anyone can help...

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2013 01:40 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Slow going I see but your getting result. Let's hope for 100 [Smile]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 19, 2013 01:59 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the sound is weak, are you sure you have the correct lamp? The Bell & Howell lamp and the Eiki lamp look the same until you look at the filament.

I once bought a Bell & Howell cheap because the sound was low, when I got it home I discovered it had an Eiki type lamp in it. When changed for the correct lamp the sound boomed out.

Hold the lamp vertically, the Eiki filament should be vertical also, the Bell & Howell lamp will have its filament horizontal at 90 degrees to the upright lamp.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 19, 2013 06:28 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Waw, Maurice, I think that you found the problem ! I noticed that the filament was in a different position when I bought it but I never thought it could matter. I will try with another lamp (from another Eiki I have) and if it works, I will buy another lamp.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 19, 2013 07:32 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The filaments of each lamp differ because in the Eiki the lamp (G27) burns sideways out from the mechanism.
On a Bell & Howell, the lamp (G29) is vertical.
In each position the filament is then parallel to the film sound track. Otherwise only a small amount of light will reach the film.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 19, 2013 03:53 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It works ! Well done, Maurice and thank you very much. I could never had suspected that the manufacturers were so vicious to confuse us by making bulbs that differ only by the position of the filament !

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 20, 2013 12:45 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique
That's good news.
I always try to share my knowledge with fellow members.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC