8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Film gates and light

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Film gates and light
Mike Felling
Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2014 04:16 PM      Profile for Mike Felling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey again folks! I was just wondering if the film gate is supposed to shine through like this on my Eiki NT? When showing films, it seems to be leaving a slight image above the picture.. almost like a faint double of the bottom portion. This issue becomes much more obvious when the light is on but no film is going through. I have attached a couple photo's to give you some visuals about what I mean.

-

-

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2014 06:28 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the frame line is showing. There's a leaver to move this up or down.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 08, 2014 02:47 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The gates on some projectors have a large area of black matte paint to avoid this reflective situation. It may occur if you have a small and overly bright picture.
However, the gate on the NT is all very reflective and this is what may be causing the effect. I assume the two pics you show are just with the lamp on?
It could also be that the lamp is not actually centred, or it's getting old and its filament is drooping.

--------------------
Maurice

Mike Felling
Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2014 03:56 PM      Profile for Mike Felling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip on the centering the picture David. I was more referring to what Maurice is describing. Yes, those photo's are just with the lamp on. No film action going on at all there. I will check the centering on the lamp tonight, as I had not thought of doing that. It seems like its firing well, but it also just may be time for a new lamp. Ill check the manual and see if it gives any information on centering. As mentioned before, this does affect the film viewing as there is a slight duplication of the bottom portion of the frame on the reflecting portion above, which as you can see is much more prevalent than the bottom portion. Sorry if this all seems confusing.. I think I just exploded my own brain trying to describe it the best way possible.. haha!

Also if this is due to the NT series gates being all reflective, is there anything I can due to remedy this? Purchase a different gate that will fit? Paint the area, with a black permanent marker perhaps? (I know that sounds really silly.. just thinking out loud) Thanks again for the advice. I really love this place!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 09, 2014 03:13 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike
I have three NT models, one NT1 and two NT2, and have never had the problem that you are experiencing.
Check the lamp fixing, or put in a new lamp before you do anything else.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC