8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Bauer P7 manual

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bauer P7 manual
Gareth Blackstock
Junior

- posted August 31, 2014 06:36 AM      Profile for Gareth Blackstock   Author's Homepage   Email Gareth Blackstock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

After years of shooting Super8, I am finally getting into 16mm filming. I was very lucky to pick up a Rank Aldis 16mm automatic for $20!
it is quite noisy so I will need to lube it. If someone could direct me to a free manual in English, i would much appreciate it!

I have been to this site: http://www.olafs-16mm-kino.de/bauer.htm
great info but my German is terrible...

Cheers, Gareth

www.mishkin.yolasite.com

--------------------
http://www.mishkin.yolasite.com/

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2014 10:02 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Gareth,
Welcome to the forum. There have been quite a few posts recently on the Bauer/Rank Aldis 16mm projectors but no one seems to know where to find free manuals for downloads in English. Until about 2 years ago there used to be a site called cineinformation.org with many manuals including Rank Aldis but this has gone off-line. Old Timer Cameras (OTC)in the UK sell manuals from their website but If you have specific questions forum members can probably help.

--------------------
Paul.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 31, 2014 12:45 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Paul said free downloads seem a thing of the past, but here's a link to Oldtimer Cameras in the UK who can supply both an instruction book and a service manual. The latter is probably what you would need.
http://www.oldtimercameras.com/camera-instruction-manuals/stock/Model.asp?Model=821&ModelPage=true

--------------------
Maurice

Gareth Blackstock
Junior

- posted August 31, 2014 10:26 PM      Profile for Gareth Blackstock   Author's Homepage   Email Gareth Blackstock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
Thanks for the tips, I did look at old timers, but a manual would cost me around $30 all up.

I guess I will just see how I go.

Cheers, Gareth

--------------------

Gareth Blackstock
Junior

- posted September 19, 2014 07:52 PM      Profile for Gareth Blackstock   Author's Homepage   Email Gareth Blackstock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

well, after some trial and error I discovered the drive belt to be broken in the projector. I ordered a new one from the U.K, it arrived, I fitted it easily, and even managed to run some scrap film through it to test the film path, and lo and behold...she won't run anymore..
The green light will not come on, nothing.
Can anyone help with some tips on what parts are most likely to fail, and if I can replace them?
I am guessing the motor drive unit is fine, but maybe I blew a capacitor or the like.

Thanks, gareth

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 20, 2014 04:04 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you pressing down the auto-load lever? The projector trips out when film has run through.

--------------------
Maurice

Gareth Blackstock
Junior

- posted September 21, 2014 04:48 AM      Profile for Gareth Blackstock   Author's Homepage   Email Gareth Blackstock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much for the tip, it now works great. I am still trying to discover what the various knobs do without breaking the projector.

cheers, Gareth

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 21, 2014 02:39 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What knobs do you want to know about?

--------------------
Maurice

Gareth Blackstock
Junior

- posted September 21, 2014 11:25 PM      Profile for Gareth Blackstock   Author's Homepage   Email Gareth Blackstock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

The large knob on the lower front of the projector, the big red lever on the back, (I think it is for single frame) The lever that i think represents the frame rate below the projector main run control, it has a "7" on the lever, I am not sure how to use this. Currently it is set on "18"
Also, there is a small knob on the bulb door, lower right.

I appreciate your help,
cheers, gareth

[ September 22, 2014, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: Gareth Blackstock ]

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 22, 2014 02:44 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) Large knob on lower front of projector: Elevation wheel (tilt).
2) Big red lever at back: Selection of still picture.
3) Lever below projector run control: Speed selection 18 or 24.
4) Knob on bottom right of lamp-house: Frame-line adjusting knob.

With regard to item 3, note that this is only altered when projector is running, it moves the drive belt between different sized pulleys and will come off if operated without motor running. 18 frames per second is for showing silent films, 24 frames per second is for showing sound films.

Have fun

--------------------
Maurice

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2014 04:21 PM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the still picture mechanism is in working condition (all parts mounted in place) it is very tricky to install flat belt.
As you did find it easily, I assume that still picture feature is not working.

The numbers on knobs and levers are marked in accordance as you should thread film
1 = film cutter
2 = safty switch (when film crack occurs) + loop former for threading
3 = turn main switch, motor on
4 = insert fim
5 = focus lens
6 = framer
7 = select speed 18f/sec. or 24 f/sec.

Important:
When film appears on left side stop motor and tear film start gently to left in order to release loop former ( button 2).
As soon as you are more confidend with projector and threading steps, you can tear film during motor is running. Stop motor few seconds later to fix film start on reel.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC