8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » NT-0 Exciter lamp: should it be on with a silent film (It's not.)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NT-0 Exciter lamp: should it be on with a silent film (It's not.)
Dan Peterson
Junior

- posted December 18, 2014 09:15 AM      Profile for Dan Peterson   Email Dan Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,
Thanks to RC in the USA, I replaced all the belts on my recently acquired Eiki NT-0.

I also replaced both the exciter lamp and the projector lamp, as well as the projector lamp housing, since the replacement bulb was not lighting up and the original housing had corrosion (I replaced it with this, and not a factory OEM Eiki housing: http://www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lampsocketqlv1.html.

The projector now projects silent films just great! Yay!

I do not yet have a sound 16mm film to test the audio. I do notice, however, that the exciter bulb is not on during normal projection operation (when the exciter lamp cover is removed).

Should the exciter lamp be obviously lit up when I'm projecting a silent film? It's not. I have double-checked that I have the belt on the correct pulleys for sound projection...
Any ideas?

-

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2014 10:28 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Dan,
The exciter lamp comes on when the amplifier is turned on as it is not needed with the amplifier off.

--------------------
Paul.

Dan Peterson
Junior

- posted December 18, 2014 10:58 AM      Profile for Dan Peterson   Email Dan Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doh! I had not turned on the amp...Oh, brother! I'll try it when I get home. Thx!!

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2014 11:28 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Dan,
another Minnesotan [Smile]
you probably will not want the amp on when watching a silent (double sprocket) film it sounds like a machine gun going off.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 18, 2014 02:36 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The amp switch is on the volume control.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 19, 2014 01:52 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, if you try a sound film one day, remember to change the position of the belt to put to set the projector at 24fps ; 18 fps is for silent films.

--------------------
Dominique

Dan Peterson
Junior

- posted January 05, 2015 09:34 AM      Profile for Dan Peterson   Email Dan Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx to everyone. Sorry for the late reply!
And a shout-out to fellow Minnesotan, Jim! Old film and film projectors are a great fit as a hobby for the frigid winters up here. [Smile]
I finally got my hands on an inexpensive 16mm sound featurette from eBay. I'm happy to report that, after turning the amp ON, the exciter lamp lit, and I have a functioning sound projector!

Cheers!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC