8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Sticky Tape Joins

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sticky Tape Joins
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 07, 2015 02:42 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just bought a three reel 16mm colour feature (date code 1963 - Kodak stock) which has a great number of tape joins which all have exuded their "goo" and have stuck themselves to the preceding and succeeding turns on the spool.

It is becoming an exhaustive job to re-do the joins and clean off all the muck with isopropyl alcohol. Whilst old tape joins often stretch and become a bit sticky I never seen such an awful situation as this.

After spending a complete day on spool 1 I slipped it into its carton and then saw the words "222 OCT 92" written on it. Then bells rang, this obviously referred to the film cleaner/lubricate 2.22 which has now been banned. I also recalled members saying that certain cleaners/lubricants softened tape joins.

On the 11 January 2013, fellow member, David Ollerearnshaw, said that he cleaned it off (2.22) before using tape splices.

So I assume that some of the chemicals that were used for film renovation in the past could also have had annoying side effects.

Did a previous owner apply the 2.22 after the tape joins had been made?

Pardon me while I now start on reel 2.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2015 10:26 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kanus did make 2.22 remover I always used this to clean a few inches before using tape splicers. They will NOT stick if 2.22 was used.

Must check out some of my films to see if they the same problem.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 07, 2015 11:18 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David
Do you think that's the problem with my newly bought film, 2.22 applied after tape splices were made?
What was in 2.22 that could cause such trouble?
There are a few cement splices which are still perfect.

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 07, 2015 12:32 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I received a Super 8mm print recently Maurice and some of the splices had been made using masking tape would you believe!

What a job that was re cutting, cleaning and then properly splicing again. I think I would have preferred sellotape!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2015 12:34 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
best to use a debrie you can use gaffa tape on yours films and they go through in fact you could thread a rope through

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2015 04:53 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cringe when screening a new to me 16mm film that looks ok on the reel .... then ..... the projector makes a noise and I discovered someone (who can't be a film person or should know better)has joined with masking tape or cheap sellotape!
Thankfully no damage to my projector!
I know I should hand-wind the films before screening them like alot of people do!
[Frown]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted June 17, 2015 05:11 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me too get annoyed when people use such things. Worst I've heard is 35mm film stapled together. That is nice for the gate. Got quite a few with normal tape and gooey. Also modelling clay. Not good for a projector

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2015 05:24 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Filmrenew works really well for cleaning off goo - but I think it's pretty hard to get in the UK.

PS -- I once received a film with staple joins -- yes - really...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 17, 2015 07:28 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,one of my latest was joined in masking tape!!

Carpets whilst decorating....most definitely,
Film never!!!!

Who are these people who value their film collection so far down the evolution chain???...Criminal activity in my book.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2015 06:40 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always used 2.22 after my home movies had been spliced using tape. None of my films have suffered with glue oozing out after 40 years. How can 2.22 be banned?, the inventor took the formula with him to the grave.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2015 07:13 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they mean the common solvents used for film treatments like 2.22 (not the substances left on the film) were nearly always CFCs (Chlorofluorocarbons) which are banned due to their ozone layer removal tendencies. Mind you the amounts of Arklone (a dry cleaning CFC) we used at work to clean computer mag tape units etc would have seen us all out for film cleaner.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2015 10:46 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know it had very quick drying properties. I still have a small amount left. What's the difference between this and other cleaners, such as Cresclean and Solvon?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC