8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » UPDATED w/ 3-D printing - DIY Zoom Lens Project for ELMO 16CL Projector.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UPDATED w/ 3-D printing - DIY Zoom Lens Project for ELMO 16CL Projector.
Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2015 12:38 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my home set up the projector sits approx.. 12 feet from the 5 foot wide pull down screen.
No problem to fill the screen with my Super 8 projectors with their zoom lenses but a problem for my 16mm ELMO 16 CL with its stock 50mm lens. Until a get a proper lens I’m happy with my DIY solution.
I noticed that the barrel size of the lens from an old junked Kodak M-70 projector was pretty close in diameter. Also the inner element had a larger opening than other of the lenses I have.

-
Kodak lens on left

Instead of wrapping tape around the Kodak lens to get it to the correct diameter I found that 2 flat rubber “belts” from the drive gears of an old Bell & Howell 357 projector brought the lens barrel up to almost the exact diameter I needed. (wrapping electrical tape once around the barrel gave me a perfect fit)

-
Comaprison: you can see the wrapped electrical tape with flat rubber belts uses as support.

-
overlay of Kodak lens on top of ELMO: perfect diameter match for lens barrel.

Since the focus dial with the Kodak lens would be useless I found the rubber holds the lens in place once you get the focus correct by sliding the lens back and forth.

-
Here is my image size with stock Elmo lens on 5 foot wide pulldown screen with projector 12 feet away.

and

-
with the DIY Kodak zoom lens I can fill the screen (you will notice slight vignetting but I can't complain)

-
Here you can see the lens installed (with cover on in thumbnail)

Cheers
Terry

|  IP: Logged

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2015 01:44 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant! Necessity is the mother of invention. I did a similar thing with my Buckingham 9.5 which is based on the Eiki Elf. I found that a Bolex Paillard Zoom lens was almost a perfect fit in the barrel. Like you I suffer a little vignetting but not too noticeable and it fills a 5' screen from a very short throw.

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2015 05:33 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great job!

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 25, 2015 06:08 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very nice retrofit Terry! You've come up with a feasible and economical DIY solution. Thanks for posting the how-to steps and pics. I have 2 16CL's one has the original 50mm lens and the second I bought a 25mm lens with an adapter sleeve. If I can locate a lens...I might give your method a try. [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2015 02:14 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice.
I too was thinking about a 25mm lens. May I ask where you found your lens and sleeve.
Cheers
Terry

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2015 04:31 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've sleeved a Specto 1" lens for my RCA Hollywood and it gives great results with no vignetting . You would probably need to look for a 16mm Specto for spares/repair to get a reasonably priced one. Good quality lenses.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 26, 2015 05:47 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
May I ask where you found your lens and sleeve.
I bought my lens from this guy http://www.ebay.com/usr/ohw?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 on Ebay for $130. It's was a very nice lens with no vignetting.

[ June 26, 2015, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2015 09:54 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much Janice.
That Global Shipping Program is a killer though!
Cheers
Terry

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2015 12:47 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UPDATE
My DIY method now has a significant improvement!
Shortly after posting this I went to an intro to 3-D printing seminar at my local library. The library has a grant for free 3-D printing that should last until the end of the year. I figured this would be an easy project to try it out since it only involves making a hollow cylinder with a cutaway for the focusing knob.

Here is the basic 3-D shape (of course it needed to be carefully measured to fit the projector and new lens)
I used 123D Design - a free download for the basic version.

-

Here is the printed lens sleeve beside the stock lens and Kodak zoom lens.

-

Sleeve fitted on lens

-

and fitted into the projector (without lens)

-

with lens

-

A nice snug fit and I can now use the focusing knob!
Also now that it is precision mounted the vignetting problem is greatly reduced.

Cheers
Terry

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 20, 2015 10:25 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Outstanding Terry! Just a thought....but perhaps you could provide the 3D file as a template so others could use it and modify the dimensions to fit their particular lens.

--------------------
Janice

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2015 01:19 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sent you a pm Janice.
Of course I'm happy to send the file to anybody who wants it.
Cheers
Terry

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 22, 2015 05:49 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Terry...I'll give it a go [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC