8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Bell & Howell 1535 B Projector: Any good?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell & Howell 1535 B Projector: Any good?
Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2016 06:33 AM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if any members have had experience with the Bell and Howell 1535 B projector. Does it suffer from the same worm gear issues that so many later Bell & Howell machines dealt with? Thanks!

--------------------
Turn out the lights,the movie is starting!

|  IP: Logged

Clyde Miles
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2016 06:40 AM      Profile for Clyde Miles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yep.

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2016 07:02 AM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply Clyde.I had a feeling it was a victim of worn worm gear issues like many of the same ilk of Bell & Howell from this era.

--------------------

Thijs de Kort
Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2016 07:03 AM      Profile for Thijs de Kort   Email Thijs de Kort   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got one of these here in front off me and i can say that (at least this one) does have a broken wormgear.
/Thijs.

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2016 07:15 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see a list of all the Bell & Howell projectors that had the worm gear issue.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2016 08:50 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
> I'd like to see a list of all the Bell & Howell projectors that had the worm gear issue.

All of the 500 / 1500 / 2500 series B&H projectors have the potential to either have, or will have, a cracked worm gear unless the gear was previously replaced.

It's a shame, they are otherwise great projectors.

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2016 11:56 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it is a shame but once fixed it is a great machine and one that can last a very long time. Most projectors have at least one or two issues that will over time need to be addressed.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Joe Vannicola
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2016 11:21 PM      Profile for Joe Vannicola   Email Joe Vannicola   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,but it costs an arm and a leg to fix a cracked worm gear. A projector repairman once told me how labor intensive replacing a worm gear is,(hence the high cost) so I avoid worm gear Bell and Howell's like the plague. And so should everyone else, unless you're able to fix a cracked worm gear yourself. Or have a lot of dough to spend.

--------------------
Joe

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2016 01:13 PM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,
That is very true on the Bell and Howell worm gear issue.It's a shame really as they made some very nice machines.It's a fairly major breakdown of the machine to get in and replace the worm gear and if you're not wishing to D.I.Y.,a very pretty penny.I had a B & H 2585 and the price quoted (minus shipping) to get it repaired was in the $350-375 range.That machine got dismantled and the parts were sold off. I'm sticking with my Kodak Pageants which have proven to be tough as nails and very reliable

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC