8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Installed the coolest 16mm film ever

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Installed the coolest 16mm film ever
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2016 08:29 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just did a museum install for a film called H.M. by visual artist Kerry Tribe. The film is the story of a man who after an injury only had 20 seconds worth of memory. To visualize this the filmaker has a single 16mm film running through 2 projectors on a 20 second delay. The whole film is on a loop. The sound is a unique stereo soundtrack so that some images produce full stereo sound (when the images on both sides match) and other times there is a dominant left channel and a subdued right channel (when you are seeing the images that were previously dominant on the left).

Wait stereo 16mm? Yep the engineers that worked with her on this project have worked out a very clever sound solution that runs a SMPTE time code in place of the optical track and that triggers the sound from a mac mini beneath the projector which is actually playing back the sound. This solution can actually reproduce full 5.1 sound for a 16mm film.. Here is a link to a short video of the rig in action.

KERRY TRIBE'S H.M. in the CAC Gallery at UC Irvine

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2016 11:00 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Very cool.

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2016 06:10 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely amazing!

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2016 10:07 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that is some nice engineering.

Dino, how many times do you think that film is going to be run, looped like that? How long do you think it will look pristine?

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2016 06:03 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will be run hundreds of times...I think I have noticed a slight flaw in the looper where it sometimes hits the edge of the film when it is coming off of the platter since it bounces a little and there is not much room for play...This is causing tiny diagonal scratching...I am talking to someone to try and rectify this...

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 12, 2016 07:17 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is definitely cool Dino. There was a display on early film-making at The Getty last time I was there...but my guess it was digital...didn't spot any film projectors. Your display is so much more exciting. Makes me want to take a trip to SoCal to see it in person [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 12, 2016 07:47 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Like something from a Tate gallery exhibition Dino! Amazing.

Noisy little swines though these Eiki's arn't they?

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2016 12:37 AM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty awesome! I have long thought that something like the dual system sound is the way to go forward if possible. Making your own soundtracks to go with silent film prints would just be so cool. Plus the sound quality is so much better than 16mm optical or even S-8mm mag sound.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2016 04:05 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting set up. How long does the film actually run before repeating itself. Hope you've got plenty of spare lamps handy!

--------------------
Dave

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2016 02:36 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope the projection area is very dust free.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 05, 2016 03:43 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like that SMPTE solution for my optical sound 8mm prints Dino, as a solution to project them on Mag sound only machines.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 05, 2016 07:27 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino - that's very impressive! I wondered how you keep both projectors at exactly the same speed as even a very slight difference would soon cause problems.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2016 05:00 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew,

I actually found my EIKI SSL-Os to be my quietest and smoothest machines by far... Anyone agree or disagree [Smile] ?

Best,
Elyas

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC